who else hates the black clips?

I was wondering if spderco will sell me the silver chrome ones so I can replace all my black ones?

I usually end up sanding the black ones down after they start to peel. It would be nice to get some silver ones to just replace .

anyone know a source?

Joshua J.

Gold Member
Heavens no!

Black clips keep me from looking like a Christmas tree all the time. It's bad enough with the one polished shiny clip on my Cricket, if all my knives were like that I'd have to put tinsel on my belt.

THG

Silver looks better, but it just stands out too much.

Do you have a black clip? How about trade me when I get my white Endura (which will come with a silver clip)?

I will pass over buying a knife if it has a silver clip, I just don't like the way they stand out. The black clips on my BM never chip off, they just kind of look good with age. I've yet to have an issue with my Spyderco black clips either.

I kinda feel a well used clip has character. What kind of character I don't know :)

My .02...

I prefer silver clips because my black Spyderco clips end up getting scratched and look terrible. I'm not a mall ninja so I don't necessarily need "special ops tactical black" for every knife I own. I especially don't like it when the Spyderco prototype pictures show a silver clip and then you end up with a black clip. Case in point, when my Black Lum comes in I will try to get an original silver clip for it instead of the black one that seems to be shipping with it.

I like bBlack clips.

I HATE chipping black clips.
I just find it irritating that it seems impossible to coat the new clips with a paint/laquer/something black that doesn't chip off the second day of carry (not even using it much!). It isn't consistent with Spyderco's high quality standards we all appreciate so much.

Spyderco CAN do better, though. The clips on my MiniManix, the Jess Horn and the big Persian are apparently coated in a different way. It seems that the problem does primarily occur on the new hourglass shaped clips.

There was a thread about this problem over on the other forum.... trying to find a majority for DLC coated clips. Sounds good to me.

Dennis

Fred Sanford

Gold Member
Black clips are awesome. They don't stand out as much as polished clips. Scratched black clips give the knife some nice character. The only thing I like better than black is the grey clips that were on the Goddard (Gray FRN Model) and also the Gray Calypso Jr.

The Titanium clips on the Salts look good stripped and satin polished too. However, I'll take a black clip any day over a highly polished clip.

colubrid, would you please email me? lowryd *at* hotmail dot com . Thanks.

I sandblasted one a while back but lost it. It looked pretty damn good for the while I had it.

I'm with the black clip crowd, I prefer my clips on the subdued side. I'm the only one who needs to know I'm carrying a knife in my neck of the woods. Something blue to blend in with dungarees would be the bomb.

I would like to see clips with a DLC coating,...or something that has better wear resistance so we all don't have to deal with chiped paint.What ever emerson uses on their clips seems to be the best on the market, no flaking or chiping what so ever. If I'm spending $200+ dollars I don't want cheap black paint on my clip.Even a powder coat or something with a harder finish.

thx gine.

Don't care what color they are as long as I can take 'em off and chuck them in a box.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

i'm going to experiement with powdercoating my clips olive drap, for high concealment on my od pants.

I don't really care what color clips I use, as long as they match the knife. That said, the coating used on Kershaw's clips would be nice.

I'd like to see TiNi coating on the clips as it's the most durable coating I've come across as far as knives go. The silver wire type pocket clips are nice and don't stand out too much.

if you have access to a soda blasting setup or shop, it leaves a matte satin finish on metal. looks great.