Who grows their own food?

I don't grow my own, but at work I grow other people's. Anyone? And if so, what do you grow, why do you do it and what are some favorite varieties?

I do!!!

I live in coastal California where we have a "year-round" growing season. I have been enjoying winter greens (mustard and kale) lately, and I can't wait to experiment with some new varieties of heirloom tomato this summer.

I do it 'cause I am a hippy at heart and it relaxes me, gives me a chance to be outside, it's a project that I can see quick results from (over a few months), and provides food that is much higher quality than available at grocery stores.

What about you?

I don't see what this has to do with ESEE knives though - perhaps the discussion should be moved.

I don't see what this has to do with ESEE knives though - perhaps the discussion should be moved.

It probably should be, but the "It's almost Spring" thread, particularly Jeff buying seed potatoes, made me think of it so I posted it here where it was born.

As far as what I grow, we grow about three acres of vegetables including many traditional New England crops: squash, potatoes, greens, beans, etc.

No, don't move this thread! This is about self-sufficiency like a good portion of all the threads here.

I grow a lot of my own groceries ;)

Long term survival/self-reliance, growing your own out of the ground is a lot more probably than John J. Rambo hunting it out in the woods. We had a pretty good garden thread last year, probably have one this year again.

Last year we just did sweet corn and pumpkins. Sweet corn we eat and the wife is a pumpkin dork in the fall, so it’s just “yes dear” from me. Year before that was everything under the sun and it was just a lot of work since we were producing way more than we could use. It was mainly a test to see how my gardening skills were though, had never had a garden before. Each year I get more in to permaculture and minimizing what I do to the ground, so this year I might try no-tilling it. But then again I’ve been jonesing for draw knives and braces and hand augers as well, so we’ll see.

I will probably put a few tomatoes and peppers out this year. I don't have alot of spare time during "plant season" as I work for Bonnie Plant Farm.

Being Dutch and all, let the picture speak a thousand words:
cannabis_plant.jpg

J/k
No i dont smoke pot a lot :) And i dont grow my own food.

I will probably put a few tomatoes and peppers out this year. I don't have alot of spare time during "plant season" as I work for Bonnie Plant Farm.

What does that Bonnie Plant Farm grow? Mass produced tomato plants???

Being Dutch and all, let the picture speak a thousand words:

J/k
No i dont smoke pot a lot :) And i dont grow my own food.

That plant looks like it has little green electric lights on it. Very cool.

How about trading out some Beefsteak tomatoe plants in 6 inch pots for some knives?

I used to grow the majority of the Mrs. and my veggie stock when we lived back east.

Since relocating to TX, I can't grow shit. Guess they call it the garden state for a reason.

Might skip my garden this year because were trying to buy a few acres further from the city and the future is up in the air.

Back