Who grows their own food?

I'm half hippy minded and half anti-hippy. The remaining halves are hillbilly, redneck, conservative and liberal. I love everyone until the choice comes down to me living or someone else, then I'm sending flowers!

I don't grow my own food-seriously whats the point? Why can't u go to the grocery store like everyone else? Its just like hunting, whats the point of killing another animal when you can just go to the grocery store, that way no animals die! LMAO :D

I have a 3rd acre garden last was our first year and we grew more than we could can but We hardly ate any of it as it was being harvested so this year we are go to bump up to a half acre less Tomatos and move verity I have 125 Tomato plants last year between Big Boy, Beefsteak,Tomatillos, Cherokee purple and Rutgers.And I had 50 pepper plants plus other stuff. I grew a 15# cucumber lol. Im going to grow more beans and greens this year radishes carrots stuff like that. I love gardening its my 3rd favorite hobby next to hunting and guns.

grow tomatoes, peppers, and lots of basil(love me some pesto). garlic,onions. sometimes carrots and always spinach. a big row of sunflowers i use for bird feed in winter. also belong to a co-op, so get weekly shares of locally grown organic vegies and fruits too. can or otherwise put up a much as i can for the winter months. locally harvested game in the freezer too.

Wow some amazing pictures!

MLRS - do you think it's worth it? Better tasting eggs, fun, etc.? I understand it wouldn't save any money.

Super X - Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

G

Wow some amazing pictures!

MLRS - do you think it's worth it? Better tasting eggs, fun, etc.? I understand it wouldn't save any money.

Super X - Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

G

I'm obviously not MLRS, but if I were to do this just for eggs for myself, I would just get a few hens and a rooster nowadays that wouldn't take much to feed. A larger amount might be worth it if you can sell the eggs enough. The problem I always see is family, family, family always want the eggs for free. :D The hens have to get out and eat the bugs and grasshoppers, etc. for the egg yolks to be richer, tastier, and better for baking recipes like country eggs are supposed to be. The problem I encountered with that is they will crap all over everything and some may get killed easier. :eek:

I'm obviously not MLRS, but if I were to do this just for eggs for myself, I would just get a few hens and a rooster nowadays that wouldn't take much to feed. A larger amount might be worth it if you can sell the eggs enough. The problem I always see is family, family, family always want the eggs for free. :D The hens have to get out and eat the bugs and grasshoppers, etc. for the egg yolks to be richer, tastier, and better for baking recipes like country eggs are supposed to be. The problem I encountered with that is they will crap all over everything and some may get killed easier. :eek:

The only real way to do Chickens without them screwing up everything is to have a coop and a "yard" for them to free range in. I love the brown eggs, dark orange yolks. Just a few hens will lay a surprising amount of eggs. Keep light on them in the winter in the coop and they will still lay although not as much.

The only real way to do Chickens without them screwing up everything is to have a coop and a "yard" for them to free range in. I love the brown eggs, dark orange yolks. Just a few hens will lay a surprising amount of eggs. Keep light on them in the winter in the coop and they will still lay although not as much.

I hear ya. Had a large coop. Tornado took it out later (didn't have chickens by then). The pen was about half the size of a football field, but in a wooded area.

Short grow season up here, but we raise a garden every year, and have chickens. Between gardening, hunting, and layin hens, we haven't bought meat or eggs for quite a while.
The thing I always thought was interesting is that the things people do as hobbies nowadays (gardening, hunting, etc.), were at one times skills necessary to survive not long ago.

Dangit you guys are gonna make me buy an ESEE 4. I find myself in this forum a lot lately!

-LIM

Everyone that grows tomatoes thinks they grow the best :D

The secret is getting the right soil PH for that taste and that can be done in a lot of places.

Nope. Listen man, we got seriously little we can brag about up here. No BBQ, no beach, no mountain, no national park.

But we do have TOMATOES!!! Corn of course and cantelope. The tomatoes here in Indiana are really better than every place else...it's all we got man...we gotta hang on to it. We also have some of the world's best limestone here.

Indiana rules the tomato world! Somebody has to!

Last edited:
I grow some of my own food...
P7150781.jpg

I really like pickles and most people dont get it quite right... so I make my own!

I grow strawberries, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, corn, and squash, as well as blueberries, and apples.
It is almost enough for the whole family, and we can certainly sustain ourselves with some work.
We give a lot away to the neighbors/friends, and have large stores over the winter.
I want chickens and a cow or two, but once I have that I'll be all set! Maybe a pig or three as well, goats are a definite option in the future...
I'm cutting back at my job (only working 30 hours a week and working from home) so I can certainly afford to take on the animals, and the meat/milk/cheese could be sold for income. I intend to retire early and play with my knives and guns and enjoy life :thumbup:
Anyway, I don't yet grow/raise all my own food, but I'm getting closer.

well hopefully this year will be better, last years garden went to pot...

my wife canned some berries for jam last year, along with some other stuff from local growers.. we buy beef from local farmer, honey as well..

we raise some chickens to provide for ourselves both eggs and meat..

If you don't grow something, I encourage everyone to try and buy locally grown foods from your immediate area this will help keep you healthy as it naturally raises your tolerances to cold/flu's and builds up your antibodies..

Seriously, the general population probably find farmers stupid, however every farmer I've ever met are extremely intelligent,think about it they're their own meteorologist, mechanics, veterinarians, some cases doctors, carpenters, etc.... simply amazing........................ yet the government want to eliminate them and make us reliant..

Back