who here carries a camera?

I was just wondering who carries a camera when they head out into the woods, and if so what camera do you take?

Last edited:
I do. In fact, i carry at least 1 usually 2.

For in the "woods" outings i usually just bring my Kodak (Z950 i think) point & shoot - it's small-ish and the colors are awesome. Ocassionally i'll bring my KM 7D or one of my Sony dSLR's.

Otherwise, it depends on the type of outing - if for *photography* then my photo gear choice can vary up to medium format film (either 6x6 or 6x7 depending...).

I try and bring my Fuji z33wp when I go out but I don't use it a lot. I am glad to have it when I see something cool.

I carry my phone (iphone) which take amazingly good photos and video for a device that resides in my pocket 12 or more hours a day.

Not DSLR amazing, but more than sufficient for capturing some cool images I want to remember. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335663482.451434.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1335663540.498967.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1335663566.829847.jpg
Just a few random examples...

I have carried a Canon PowerShot D10 for years. It has gotten frozen, submerged, been in a daypack that took a 60ft fall off of a cliff, and received hundreds of other indignities during its tenure with me, and has performed fantastically.

Always, if nothing else I'll have my Galaxy S phone with me. Most of the time I'll also take a Nikon DSLR along. Which lenses come with depends on the trip, if it's a wildlife trip the 500mm comes along, if it's landscapes the 10-20 and 70-200 are more likely to be used.

I carry a real camera about 70 percent of my time in the woods,

...and have one about 90 percent of the time in my truck.

encrc011.jpg

Camera Photo

I almost always have a cell phone camera, but don't find them very rewarding to use.

Big Mike

Nikon S220 for a small digital, and sometimes a Nikon F3. Mamiya RZ 67 Pro II once in a blue moon as it is nearly a crew served weapon.

I carry a Sony NEX-3 with an 18-55mm lens. I plan on getting a zoom for or another camera. I took several photos of a great blue heron during a hike last week.I loose way too much clarity having to use digital zoom.

blueheronlookingmajestic.jpg

Last edited:
Nikon D40 with SB400 flash unit.

DSC_0608.JPG

best

mqqn

I always take my Canon S95 with me. I tend to prefer solo hikes. I can stop and compose a subject without having to hold back or catch up to anyone else.

For long hikes I carry a Nikon D60 with an 18-70 and a 55-200/VR. It's a lightweight kit and if something happens to it I can replace it for a few hundred dollars.

DSC_2846.jpg

DSC_2873.jpg

200mm is not enough reach for wildlife, but sometimes you get lucky. This is a crop from a larger image.

DSC_2747.jpg

I carry a Sony A200 on long hikes. It's big and heavy, so I switched to my htc smartphone, which has a 5 megapixel camera. The HTC takes good images up close, but suck for the scenic shots. I think ill go back to the Sony on my next trip.

Panasonic DMC-TS2. Bombproof and takes good pics.
Would really like to upgrade to the TS3, which waypoints photos with GPS coordinates.

Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-TS2-Rugged-Digital-Camera-front.jpg

Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-TS2-Rugged-Digital-Camera-back.jpg

do yall have any recommendations for a camera to take to philmont? all that matters to me is that it is durable and uses AA's and not a proprietary battery pack, also Im hoping for under about $300 for just the camera. thanks yall

KB3UBW

I almost always take my Kodak Z710 with me. Not the most compact but it takes great pics like this. I recommend taking a camera, you can come across some beautiful and unusually scenery/animals. Nice to look back at places you've been via your pics.

100_4772.jpg

V.jpg

Panasonic DMC-ZS6, pretty compact and takes great outdoor shots. I use my iPhone a lot too and it also takes pretty nice shots outside

I always take my Canon S95 with me. I tend to prefer solo hikes. I can stop and compose a subject without having to hold back or catch up to anyone else.

How do you like that one? My camera's sensor died recently and I've been shopping around for a new camera. The S95 is one of the top candidates right now because of the functionality in low light and the degree of control it gives you. It's also not outrageously expensive, but not "low-budget" either.

I'd be using it mostly at close-to-medium range so I don't need a crazy zoom on it--just crisp pictures as one of the things I'd be using it for is basic product photography.

Back