1. Our COVID-19 response can be found here

Who is buying these old-timey knives that don't even lock?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Motega, Dec 5, 2019.

1. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Well, in that case, I'll just be honest.
    I have the hooker boot lamp, so why wouldn't I have the knife? :D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    WValtakis and Rhinoknives1 like this.
  2. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I think in general you are correct. There are other blades than spey blades as the No 2 blade. But regardless, I think most people will primarily use the large blade and leave the smaller blades if present very sharp for special needs.

The second, third or fourth blades also make the knife heavier and thicker. Some just prefer a single main blade as it results in a more pocket friendly slip joint. I prefer jack knives or two blade models generally. But I really seldom use the secondary blade overall. That doesn't mean that I don't want it.

cbrstar and danbot like this.
  3. Motega

Motega Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2006
    20191206_221743.jpg And here's the knife (attached).
    Looks like it says "Cherub" and "Germany "
    underneath. Don't discuss value, it's verboten and like I said a family heirloom so not for sale anyway. I think the scales are Bakelite.

colin.p and Lesknife like this.
  4. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    That's not a boot! :confused: That's a shoe! :mad:

5. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I predate bolt action with a rack of lever action rifles and a single action revolvers.

Possum16 and Ace Rimmer like this.
  6. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I've heard some folks actually like driving vehicles with manual transmissions. Crazy!

7. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    3 on the tree!

bigsurbob, The Zieg, cf1969 and 3 others like this.
  8. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Yes, they tend to be reliable and inexpensive to repair. 4 on the floor FTW.

evilgreg and danbot like this.
  9. Fisher1573

Fisher1573 Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 13, 2012
    I carried a case stockman as my sole EDC for 6 years. It sharpens up easily, it's cleaned fish, squirrel, rabbit, cut countless pieces of cordage, it's been in attics, under houses, cut insulation, scored wood and sheet metal, it's cut automotive hose, cut back the insulation on battery cables, opened any packaging I couldn't with my hands, it's made marshmellow sticks and even been used on food. It's been used on everything you'd use a lock blade folder for and you might not believe this but not once did I ever think I needed anything that I could open faster. Surprisingly I didn't need to fight a bear or use it for defense, and I didn't need to flick it open 100,000 times a day to keep me occupied. When one blade got dull, if I didn't want to take out the pocket stone and touch it up or I was in a hurry I had two more. As far as sharpening I didn't have to take much time to do it after a long day of work. If you're not a fool they won't close on your hand. I guess I don't mind a slip joint because I know what a knife is used for and they can do it all. If I need something for stabbing I'll use a fixed blade. I have knives that lock but I don't rely on the fact that they lock, in point of fact in my mind it's one more thing that can break on a knife. I don't EDC the stockman anymore, It's in my wife's pocket now and I carry a Vic Huntsman mostly (I like the saw and the no.2 phillips/small flathead on the can opener actually got me into my house the other day). I like what's useful, I don't care about what looks cool or what I might have to use someday in an alley (which I don't have to actively avoid in my neck of the woods). Case works, and they get compliments when you use 'em. Victorinox works, and if a slip joint can't do it or do it quick enough, there's a fixed blade somewhere close by. I don't see anything "better" about a locking folder for everyday life. I had one job where I had to regularly break down cardboard boxes and, unbelievably, they gave us box cutters and insisted we use them. I like "supersteels" as mich as the next knife guy, but do I need it? No, and chances are neither do you.

Holborn, jmh33, Ace Rimmer and 3 others like this.
  10. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    I own both moderns and traditionals.
    Carry one of each every day.

I feel like modern knives just “fix” something that was never actually broken, just perceived to be “broken”. A way to charge us more money for the “new and improved!”
    Happens with everything. Cars, guns, knives, tv’s.
    Just my 2 cents.

Possum16, jackknife and Lesknife like this.
  11. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    You trying to start a fight or something?

Fisher1573 likes this.
  12. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    That's why it is essentially a troll post. Bait. I think he would say "spirited discussion".

13. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Because they're better .
    Slice better, carry better, look better, and in many ways I find them more convenient.
    I don't own any slipjoints from " them " but I've got a number from case Buck and Camillus and the traditional blades are all I carry these days.

Here's one of my favorites.
    [​IMG]

danbot, Pjake, jmh33 and 2 others like this.
  14. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    And now you are acting just like the OP. They might be better for you but not for me and certainly not for everyone. Your, and the OP's opinion is just that. Don't pass your blanket opinion as fact for everyone. You probably didn't like it when the OP said the type of knives you like suck, so don't turn around and essentially say the same thing about what other people like.

I carry and use both. I prefer modern one hand opening and closing knives for the convenience they offer me. I'm often holding whatever I'm cutting so OHO is very useful. That said, I'm not getting rid of my traditionals and I certainly understand why people would prefer and collect them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    And who said the second blade on a traditional had to be small? :D That is one of the best forum knives and I believe it was my very first forum knife.

It's just preference and my preferences change throughout the year. However, I appear to have settled on the Vic Small Tinker (a traditional) for carry along with what ever knife I feel like for the day or week. Speed is not essential for me. Cutting is the dominant issue.

If you want convenience in terms of cutting functions, carry a fixed blade? However, fixed blade carry is not always convenient.;)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Prester John likes this.
  16. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    The fact is we all have different lifestyles, jobs, environments, preferences and needs. That’s why there are different knife types and designs, colors, made with different materials, what ever clicks your fancy. I carry both old timey and modern at the same time because each one has a purpose for the need I have. Depending on my schedule of work or time off or vacation it changes my needs for what I’m doing. Small, medium, large, fixed, folding, locking, slip joint, single or multi blade, pocket carry or sheath. I’m glad I have a choice and I’m glad we have many to choose from. I don’t like the polling questions like; if you only had one knife. My question is why would anyone want to limit themselves to only one knife? Why would you think only one knife would suit every purpose? There may be some who could make do with only one knife for awhile and I’m sure I could if I were in a situation where I had no other choice but Until there are shape changing, metal changing, what ever then we have to make a choice and select what we want for our needs.

Prester John likes this.
  17. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I think for many people who prefer modern one hand opening and closing knives, it isn't about speed. That seems to be a tactical mall ninja fantasy. The traditionalists think the mall ninja kids want speed, while the mall ninja kids think they need speed in deployment of their stabinator.

When in reality, most folks who carry a modern one hand opener are just average folks who like the convenience of being able to hold what you are cutting with one hand, extracting from the pocket and opening their tool, using it, and putting it away with one hand. It's just simple convenience that can help perform every day tasks.

I do and they aren't always, or even legal for many.

18. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    The only modern's that I one hand open are generally the one's that force me to one hand them from a convenience point of view. Yes, it is almost always possible to open them with two hands. But, being able to open your knife without two hands can be useful. I use both.

Prester John likes this.
  19. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Exactly. I like and carry both modern and old timey knives. It's nice to be able to use a one hand opener if I'm up on a stepladder. I sometimes will carry a small fixed blade, but I actually find a folder easier to deal with. I can fold it and clip it back in my pocket without having to look. I'm always a little more cautious re-sheathing a fixed blade, concerned about stabbing myself in the leg.

There are both great slicers:
    [​IMG]

Cscotttsss, Grateful, craytab and 2 others like this.
  20. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I almost never open a back lock Spydie knife with one hand, or for example knives with the thumb stud. I can if I want to. Almost always open flippers one handed unless I am trying to keep attention focused away from me when people are around.

Fisher1573 and Prester John like this.