Who is the Chris Reeve of flippers?

Stupid mobile.

As I was saying.

People are passionate about their cutlery, and while humor is fine, you have to remember that people don't always understand when you poke fun at something they feel strongly about.

I know they are polorizing, but I would say Grimsmo. Especially since disassembly is supported and encouraged.

wjDqyT1.jpg

Last edited:
I have only held a shiro once but have quite a few mid range flippers and can say my Guardian Tactical helix nano is a superb flipper and their cs I have heard is top notch.But I have yet to hear of someone who has really needed it.

Tread carefully around the CRK loyalists, friend!

Over the Internet, it's hard to tell just how serious a person is being, when they say something. I have never owned a Reeve, but I respect them because if the reputation they have, here.

Lets just hope that no one intends on censoring another's opinions. I am serious I have had several crk, they are like the Montblanc pens, sure they have some refinement and will write but not very durable and over rated.

Olamic jumps to mind, though they're sort of the anti-CRK (or CREWK as I like to think of them) when it comes to options and style, where CRK is all about a small number of relatively simple designs and options, Olamic is all about doing wildly varying designs in a million flavors. That said, the quality is there, or at least it has been in the seven I've bought (a Busker, four Swishes, a Gambit and a Rainmaker, I think).

I've owned CRKs and Shiros and Olamics and for my money I prefer the Olamics, FWIW. I'm biased, though, I really love their work.

This Swish in particular might be the first knife I'd grab if I could only grab one, this lightweight acid rain version only weighs ~4 oz (light for a 3.75" bladed folder) cuts great and has perfect action:

nLVDnvo.jpg

The beauty of Olamic is that if you find the holes, texture, coated blade and color of that one make your eyes bleed, you can do up the same knife in a clean and simple version like this instead:

pcLysZ9.jpg

Shirogorov is probably thought of often as the “high end” production flipper to rival CRK.

Olamic is also amazing quality but they are stateside with wonderful CS and their knives feel more “crk-ish” to me than Shiros.

There’s a ton of stuff out there but Olamic seems like the obvious answer to me.

You could also check out a Holt Spectre if you can find one and money is burning a hole in your pocket.

Edit to add: also agree with above. Koenig is another outstanding top of the line production flipper.

Olamic jumps to mind, though they're sort of the anti-CRK (or CREWK as I like to think of them) when it comes to options and style, where CRK is all about a small number of relatively simple designs and options, Olamic is all about doing wildly varying designs in a million flavors. That said, the quality is there, or at least it has been in the seven I've bought (a Busker, four Swishes, a Gambit and a Rainmaker, I think).

I've owned CRKs and Shiros and Olamics and for my money I prefer the Olamics, FWIW. I'm biased, though, I really love their work.

This Swish in particular might be the first knife I'd grab if I could only grab one, this lightweight acid rain version only weighs ~4 oz (light for a 3.75" bladed folder) cuts great and has perfect action:

nLVDnvo.jpg

The beauty of Olamic is that if you find the holes, texture, coated blade and color of that one make your eyes bleed, you can do up the same knife in a clean and simple version like this instead:

pcLysZ9.jpg

Those are some beauties! Love the Olamic Wayfarer...just for reference as I feel it is pertinent to the discussion, which one would be more like the “CRK” of flippers from Olamic...the Wayfarer or Swish?

My issue with the Shiro to CRK comparison is a new Shiro Neon is what? $650? And you can get any of the CRK full size knives for $450?

Would seem to be different categories. Or it could just be that to get a flipper as goodl as CRK does a frame lock you have to pony up $200 more.

Lets just hope that no one intends on censoring another's opinions. I am serious I have had several crk, they are like the Montblanc pens, sure they have some refinement and will write but not very durable and over rated.
In what way are they not durable? I'm not picking on you, but when people make claims that go against the experience of thousands of others, I'm curious as to what happened. I've had an umnumzaan for almost 10 years that has been beat on and not treated well, and it's still as smooth and tight as the day I got it.

Those are some beauties! Love the Olamic Wayfarer...just for reference as I feel it is pertinent to the discussion, which one would be more like the “CRK” of flippers from Olamic...the Wayfarer or Swish?

Which Olamic compares to which CRK?
--Large Sebenza, Small, Inokosi, Mnandi, Umnimzaan, Ti-Lock, Pacific, Green Beret???

Quality for quality and dollor for dollar, Olamic (IMO) is the best bet you'll get with a flipper on par with CRK...

Style snd design, thats apples and oranges one to the next. They definitely both have their own flavor in the market, so I'd say just pick the size/style that suites your tastes and tickles your fancy, and trust the process.

I have been carrying Sebenza's for over 10 years and mine have always worked just fine functionally and been plenty durable for knife appropriate tasks. I certainly can understand if they aren't your thing. People have different preferences but that doesn't make them inferior in any way.
I can't help with the OP's ? since I am not a big flipper fan-just reading for others responses as to what is good-answers are pretty much what I would have guessed from past reviews.

Last edited:
Shiro comes to mind immediately, but is not comparable in terms of where they fall in the market, since Shiros start at double what you can get a CRK for.

Monterey Bay Knives, Ray Laconico’s production line (built by WE and Reate, IIRC) are more comparable in terms of general aesthetic and pricing. And most reviews have found the knives to be well made.

I have several that come to mind but none are a better answer the OPs question than Koenig.

Back