1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Dec 14 !

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Dec 15 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Who likes Drop Point Hunters?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by sceva, Nov 11, 2019.

1. sceva

sceva Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 18, 2002
    I like to show this off every once in a while.

It is a Geno Denning ; Caveman Engineering Drop point. Mr Denning studied under George Herron and his knives followed the Herron designs closely. This one is a small version of his GM model which came to be called the MiniGM. In fact; This is the first MiniGM that Geno Made and I believe the first Knife Geno marked Prototype. I believe that Geno Denning is no longer actively making knives but if you run across one they are well worth having. The man is an artist.

Mini GM 8.jpg Mini GM 4.jpg

How Small is it? Here it is with an AG Russell Gents Lockback

Mini GM 11.jpg

In perspective with a full Size Denning GM model and the larger Denning Caribou

Caribou- GM- Mini GM.jpg Mini GM-GM-Caribou.jpg

I hope you enjoyed looking as much as I like showing you these

Mikael W, sunknife, Llasi and 17 others like this.
  2. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    For hunting, I won't use anything but a drop point. I really like that style. I use a Cold Steel Master Hunter, and a slightly smaller knife that my uncle made for me, using a pre-made blade that he "handled" with rosewood. I don't have pics of either one right now, but can take some and add them later.... you have some really nice knives there....

sceva and scrteened porch like this.
  3. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I got a new one from Gerry Drew this year that I plan to take deer hunting in a couple weeks. Ladder Damascus and black oak @ 7¾".

[​IMG]

Another one from L.T. Wright in 3V and micarta @ 6½".

[​IMG]

sunknife, Llasi, tongueriver and 11 others like this.
  4. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I've been looking for a 7" OAL Loveless-style Drop Hunter for about a month now. Lots and lots of beauties out there, but I haven't found the right one yet.

sceva likes this.
  5. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Vintage Schrade PH1, based on a collaboration with Loveless. One of my absolute favorite knives.

sunknife, Llasi, tongueriver and 13 others like this.
  6. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    sceva, you have some very nice knives, thanks for showing them.
    I like the look of the drop point, never used one in all my years of hunting. I guess habit. I started out with a Buck 118 and even though I have bought drop points with the intention of using them when I start field dressing I reach for the 118. That said here are a few of the drop points I've purchased with the intent of using.
    The culprit, Buck 118
    [​IMG]
    The Kershaw 1030
    [​IMG]
    The Buck 192
    [​IMG]
    Randall Model 25, top one
    [​IMG]

7. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Nice selection of knives you have there. :)

In answer to the title question:
    I, myself and me all like drop point hunters. :)
    We "have" to get a "few" more though. :(

8. sceva

Sep 18, 2002
    PJSJR said "I started out with a Buck 118 and even though I have bought drop points with the intention of using them when I start field dressing I reach for the 118. "

Oh yes, The Buck 118 personal; One was my first really good knife. My daughter liked it and that one now resides with her

9. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Like that Frontier Valley in 3v. I have been trying to find one in 3v for sometime now but all that is out there is A2 and O1.It looks like a nice safe knife for field dressing.

10. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    This one is in Elmax of Bark River's Bob Loveless design.
    [​IMG]

sunknife, Llasi, tongueriver and 7 others like this.
  11. HST

HST Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 2, 2015
    I prefer drop points. It’s my favorite knife shape to use. I skin light fare in my yard - for my dogs - with my GEC Bullnose. A Busse Dog Soldier 8 is my everyday yard knife and it sees the most action.

I look forward to seeing more replies.

12. jwb01

jwb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2016
    TK Steingass in CPM 154.
    0373EFF1-2899-4732-AFE4-B59ACB9F79F3.jpeg

13. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    So nice, Josh, Tim makes a terrific knife, and the Loveless style is one of his best. :thumbsup:

jwb01 likes this.
  14. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Both great looking knives, Jeff!! Either aught to serve you well!:cool::thumbsup:
    Awsome group, Preston!:eek::thumbsup: And great photos as well!:)

A couple of Redmedows ready to go, a fine BF maker @lessismore :cool::thumbsup: he does great work!
    pair9.jpg

15. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Fine selection of drop points to choose from!:eek::thumbsup:
    A Blackjack, Redmedows, and a Hess.
    20180317_123659.jpg

16. sceva

Sep 18, 2002
    These are all great, Keep them coming

17. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Thank you much, Dennis, you show some very fine knives as well.

sceva likes this.
  18. BladeCommander

BladeCommander Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Custom by me for my Dad. 154CM drop point Hunter with Elk. 4" blade, about 4.6" handle.

19. jwb01

jwb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Thanks Jeff! It’s a worker too, skinned out 4 hogs and a buck so far.

mitch4ging likes this.
  20. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Thanks Jeff. This LT Wright Frontier Valley deserves a nice photo. I am loving this ,my new fix blade EDC and field dressing knife.
    [​IMG]