Who makes a good M1A?

Tony Nguyen

Gold Member
Hey everybody,

I've been looking at purchasing an M1A for hunting/target shooting for quite some time now. I am willing to spend up to $2000 US but I would prefer to keep it around $1500.

I saw that Springfield Armory has a basic model for around 1500. I also looked at fulton armory.

So, my question is: Are there any other companies to purchase a solid M1A from? I'm in Vermont, so there aren't really any considerations to attachments or assault weapons considerations.

I would really appreciate pics and maybe some reviews.

Also, I'd love to know if there is another good .308 out there with as many after market parts that has roughly the same accuracy. Enlighten me fellas!

Thanks,

Tony

I have a Springfield M1a but the Fulton's are better come with more GI parts and better receiver but I would have no issues with getting another Springfield they have
a good warranty that I have never needed I doubt you will break the Springfield receiver also check some M1A websites they have deals on nice used one's also LRB
make's a good receiver do not buy one with a Enterprise receiver.

Do you have any examples of M1A sites? Are you talking about forums for the M1A? Or are there websites devoted to the sale of the M1A?

If you're set on an M1, go with Springfield. You can't go wrong with Springfield. I mean, come on, who was the founding father? :) M1's seem to have the same problems and issues as the M14. Alot of people have fallen away from the M1 platform for those reasons.

If you want my suggestion, I'd tell you to go and try to build an AR-15 platform in .308 or another higher caliber. If you're set on .308, I'm pretty sure with 1500-2000 bucks you could build a very nice .308 AR15. We all already know the advantages of the AR15 platform. If it wasn't better than the M1, we'd still be using M1's. Just look around at some AR15 dealers, and you can find a .308 lower receiver and upper receiver ready to match up and rock n' roll.

I have a NM Springfield that easily shoots moa at 200 meters with the factory peep sight.

There has been much debate about forged vs. cast receivers but I haven't seen any real evidence that the cast are bad and the forged are actually needed.

Quality factory and handloaded ammo are necessary either way.

The M14 has been brought back for certain applications overseas with great results. They are better suited to reach out there than a stressed out AR.

What you really plan on doing with the rifle has a lot to do with the model purchased imo.

As a word of advice...these are great rifles. In my former life I used this weapon system a lot...I still do but not as much anymore. I cannot speak highly enough of them...one of my favorites.

However, I'd like to make you aware so you're walking into this investment and commitment with your eyes wide open....if you're going to go the M1A route then there is some added expense to go along with owning this rifle and/or the Garand and some unique aspects unlike other battle or marksmanship rifles. This rifle is not difficult to maintain, operate etc but there are just some additional aspects you need to be aware of...I'll just list a few...and I realize a dozen people will chime in and say "ah you don't need that stuff... or don't listen to him." which is particially true...you can work around a lot of these issues but there are unique issues nevertheless you won't find on an AR or AK/AKM platform for example.

Here are some of the unique things you need to take under consideration:

You'll need to figure out a way to clean from the muzzle to the breech or buy an Otis or simiar system. Regardless there will be times when you'll need to clean from the muzzle so you'll need a muzzle gaurd. This is sorta a pain to clean this way and makes one wary since you're trying to protect the crown of the muzzle.

You'll need a couple specialized tools to remove the gas plug so you don't tweak the system (lots of people don't use the proper tools and probably get away with it...I don't...I use the correct tools for the job to maintain the integrity of the rifle). You'll need to purchase some hard to find drill bits and make handles to scrap carbon or buy them from a 3rd party source.

You'll need to get some good grease which you'll not use on other rifles. I use the Mil Spec Luberplate. You'll need a greaser to do the job.

You'll really not want to seperate the stock from the rifle any more than you absolutely have too or you'll start loosing up the fit which does affect accuracy.

You'll find if you want mount a scope the base set up on this rifle is different and requires some unique set ups...some are great, some a not so much- it can be done and done quite successfully (obviously as it is the DMR for the Militiary). But you'll find it a challenge to get a good cheek weld unless you do some work arounds. I'm not sure this would be my ideal choice for a hunting rifle...but it isn't my choice.

You'll find mounting a bi-pod is a chore if you want to do this.

You'll find working on the trigger to be a bit tricky if you want to do a trigger job.

You'll find you're limited on sling configurations unless you spend about grand on a customized Mccree stock. Also if you want to add an lights or move sling mounts...unless you spend a fortune it isn't going to be easy on this rifle.

You'll find the rifle is heavy, the mags are heavy, and holding it in the ready position to manipulate the rifle is going to be a chore...assuming you're going to use it for defensive...if not then disregard. It will be a heavy hunting rifle.

Don't even consider reloading for this rifle unless you know what you're really doing...they need heavy primers (to prevent slam fires) and they need a propellant that doesn't over pressurize the gas system and ruin the rifle. Again, this is easy stuff for the enlightened but for the casual or the novice rifleperson or reloader...be advised.

Last edited:
if you plan on shooting optics go for the AR style flat top rifles in .30 cal....If you have good young eyes, then an M1A with a
.062" front sight is pretty good out to 400m on a 10" target... I'm getting closer to the end of the tunnel so shoot an AR10, had a Springfield M1A with a NM barrel that was scary accurate to shoot...

Quirt,

My father also used an M1A and M14 quite a bit. He espouses their accuracy and I am prepared to make other expenditures in order to make it as effective at long range as possible. I have an otis elite cleaning system already. Will that be sufficient? I will take your comment about the optic mount into consideration and I will certainly take all of your advice to heart. I have been reloading since I was 11 years old, but I will certainly be especially cautious if I choose the reload. Weight is not a concern really. I'm very strong. I have an excellent gunsmith who I've been talking about this rifle with and he said he would help with a sling. He's a family friend and he has done a lot of work for us in the past. He also promised to teach me proper maintenace of the rifle.

Thanks very much for you help Quirt.

Les,

Will .30 cal be large enough for moose? I've only ever hunted with 30-06 and .308 before. I was going to go with a leupold optic on whatever gun I get. I think that with the M1A I could reach out pretty far. I'm gonna look over the ballistics tonight and see which I like better. Can you suggest a good 30 cal AR?

Tony

drop by M14forum.com

all your questions will be answered there. By experts. :D

http://m14forum.com/

Here is my ultra low serial number Devine. E2 Stock, bipod, and of course, all USGI parts.
Devine200.jpg

Tony, shoot me an email off line if you want to continue the discussion. I'd be honored to help.

Regarding reloading...it is the propellent selection and quantity that is super important. The proper re-sizing and primer selection are right up at the top as well. This is a totally different animal than loading for a bolt gun or handgun...or even any other semi-auto. The website Mannlicher suggested is excellent...I frequent it as well. There is info on propellent selection etc.

Regarding optics...the mount on the M1A is a bugger...it sits high which doesn't easily faciliate a proper cheek weld. So you'll most likely need to add a cheek piece of some kind to your buttstock. Also some of them don't mount correctly because of the inperfections of some of the modern M1A receivers. The Fulton is one of the tops but it is a $3,000 investment compared to the SA which is $1200. Go to the Forum Mallicher suggested and read about the three or four different mounts and two will rise to the top quickly.

If you fit this M1A with a Leupold TMR then you'll have almost the same DMR as our Military are currently using and these are deadly accurate machines! The Leupold is an excellent choice. Call the 1-800 on Leupold's website and ask for Technical Support. The guys at Leupold are tops and extremely friendly & helpful. Tell them what you want and they'll help you out. If you email me off line I'll even give you the name of a guy at Leupold to call personally and discuss this with. He is extremely squared away and super nice guy. You can even ask them what scope they supply for the DMR and they'll supply you the same scope. For hunting you can go with a standard Duplex but if you think you'll ever do some mid-range tactical shooting then go with the TMR and learn how to Optically Range. Again, I can help you with this if this is of interest.

The Otis will work...but when you break in the barrel - if they don't give you a protocol let me know and I'll share the one I use which is a combo from several firearms and barrel manufacturers who happen to be close friends and they share their super squirrel secrets! Anyway, when you break in the barrel you'll find you'll want/need to clean from the muzzle as the patches are tight until you get at least 200 rounds through the rifle and the bore begins to smooth up. So get a muzzle gaurd, get a really good one-piece cleaning rod and a jag. You'll need both. A Bore Snake is handy for quicky cleanings as well.

Depending upon which rifle you get...assuming the Springfield Armory (SA) since it is a good price point rifle as the Fulton is going to be $2800 plus and the gaprecision is going to be at least $3,000 plus you'll have to wait for it I'm sure. Honestly unless you've got to support the ego an excellent first M1A and superb hunter is going to be a SA standard or the NM with synthetic stock. The little SOCOM is a nice packable rifle and will do well out to 500 yards.

Anyway the SA rifle is going to really like the 168 grain bullet with that 1-10 twist. You don't want to go heavier because of the gas system. So forget about the 175. But with this bullet you're going to do some amazing things assuming you master the fundamentals.

Sadlak makes some mighty fine accessories for this rifle and assuming you buy the SA then immedately order their Nat Match Spring Guide. It is the #1 upgrade and well worth it! I was skeptical at first but am a believer now. Let me know off line and I'll share with you a great source for magazines and other M1A accessories.

Good luck. ~Q

Last edited:
Tony .... I used .30 cal designation in place of the many caliber optioins Armalite has for their AR10T....I don't hunt, but a good friend with extensive background in the AR platform does... he has an AR10T in .308 and an upper in .300 short ultra mag that he uses for elk.. my AR10 is a .308 carbine I got in case my friends ever invite me to go hog hunting (inside joke)... you can smack a 1000m gong pretty consistently with the .300 ultra mag

1 Option might be to find a good used Polytech. They actually had good receivers and some good USGI parts. Have a smith inspect it and replace bits as needed...

I heard they are less accurate and less durable. I will also pay a good deal more for products made in the US. I am not knocking Chinese products, they are often of good quality. But in this case, the steel they use is typically suspect and they are known to have headspace problems. Plus, they are only 500 dollars cheaper than a SA Loaded. And I've seen a few comparison videos and the SA is much more accurate at distance.

Tony

Tony,
Fair enough and I agree, applaud and support your choice to buy an American product. I had not seen that option mentioned so I thought I would throw it out there. I did qualify that recomendation with having a smith check the rifle out. QC was sometimes spotty but they did turn out some nice rifles and a couple of guns built by smiths on Poly actions that I have fired were excellent.
The M1A may not be the latest and greatest but I still enjoy laying my M4 down and shooting my fathers Garand. :)
Good luck,
Bill

The primary complaint about PolyTech rifles was the bolt steel was not to specs. Maybe, maybe not.

All three of my M1A rifles are Springfields. The scoped Loaded has a TRW NM barrel, and will shoot some really tight groups. The mount is by ARMS, as are the QD rings. I have mounted, and removed the scope many times. It always goes back to zero.
leupold800x600.jpg

M1A.jpg

I have owned USGI, Springfield (SOCOM), and Norinco. The Norinco was available for $350-$400 in the early 90s and worked fine for me. The springs were found to be lacking so most would swap out all the springs for USGI. A friend of mine had his Norinco blow it's receiver imbedding a piece of itself into his neck - scary! The SOCOM was awesome. I fired 7,000 rounds out of it with ZERO malfunctions, whether it be factory or reloads. My reloads were full length resized, 147 FMJ with a moderate dose of 748. I only used USGI mags.

The .308 was never really intended to fire bullets over 200 grains. This is why the nod was given to the 30-06 for heavy game with it's ability to use a 220 grain bullet. The 30-06 will also give a slight edge in both velocity and energy levels. Of course this all depends on the rifle you are using and it's rate of twist.

I owned a M-1 some 30 years ago and really liked it. One of the neatest conversions I have seen for the M-1 was the modification for it to use BAR 20 rd magazines. What a beast.

Last edited:
Back