who makes the best fighters?

I would like to buy a fighting knife and would like opinions on who would be a good choice. So far Laci Szabo's designs really interest me, but I don't know of the quality. I prefer knives that have a blade length between 5-10 inches. I don't really care about the price, as long as the product is worth it(although the more reasonable the better). I don't know anything about custom knife makers, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

VC,

Lazi has some pretty funky styles, mostly with accentuated drop handles. He designs and goes to certain makers to have them make them. You may want to ask him who he recommends. Or...

You may want to just go into the custom knifemakers list in the links section and peruse their sites. Many have pictures that give an idea of the "styles" they work with. You have to think a bit about what you want and how it fits in with a certain maker. You want to think about your price level and how long you want to wait as well. You then need to explore your considerations with the maker(s) of interest.

I have does this several times and I have been pretty happy with the results.

Good luck, the hunt is part of the fun.

sing

AKTI #A000356

[This message has been edited by sing (edited 07-19-2000).]

Fighters come in all sizes and descriptions (hmmm - just like people). Personally I don't see how one could substantially improve over say a Randall No.1 or No.2 with 7-8" blades. There are all kinds of knives which strike me as excellent fighters but I'm not sure there is a best for all people or circumstances.

Quick list of best custom stuff below:

Check out Les Robertson's page: www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com

Big ones: David Broadwell (from tactical to art), Jim Siska, Peter Bauchop (alley cat is classic), Walter Brend (model 2, another classic) for a big stout tactical but heavy duty beauty.

Subhilts: Broadwell & Brend !

The ABS 'smith's bowies are really excellent fighters....tough differentially tempered 5160 or 1084, 1095, double guards, distally tapered for lightness (quickness) with great strength. Jerry Fisk, Flournoy, Crowell, Harvey Dean, Steve Dunn, Jim Walker (might get a bargain and reasonable delivery), etc. (These guys make plain jane stuff and dressed up damascus stuff. Don't know what you want... good entry level Bowie plain jane goes $600-$900 custom, on up to several thousand for full dress custom.)

Small ones: Al Polkowski (Kasper bulldog & pug), Greg Lightfoot.

Randall Model 1 is a classic. I just don't like the deep long choils myself.

Oh, and check out Jerry Hossum. He's doing some nice work in CPM3V and in some BIG long knives, nearing short sword range.

pics of Bauchops stuff: http://www.petestacticalknives.com/cusfix.htm#PeterB http://www.beckscutlery.com/bauchop.htm

Bowies: www.nordicknives.com www.arizonacustomknives.com www.knifeart.com

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 07-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 07-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 07-20-2000).]

Thanks to all for your replies. I checked out a whole bunch of the knives y'all recommended, and they are great! But man some of the prices!!! I start to drool everytime I look at Don Fogg's katana(he told me they start at $1750). Now that I've seen the light I may never go back. Only custom knives for me from now on.

[This message has been edited by VOODOO CHILD (edited 07-20-2000).]

I agree .. Les robertson is one of the most knowledgable folks in the industry where fighters come into play.

biggrin.gif

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 07-20-2000).]

I agree, Les Robertson is most knife knowledgeble. Ask him about the models in jig bone and mokume! :>)

------------------
Danbo, soul brother of Rambo

Don't forget W. Brend Model 2's.

View

or
View

------------------
RICK - Left Handers Unite

[This message has been edited by RGRAY (edited 07-20-2000).]

This is the most magical fighting blade I have had the good furtune to handle up to this point:

View

Black Cloud Knives Fourth Generation Fighting Bowie (FB4). 8.5" of sharpened length, surreal balance.

[This message has been edited by Steve Harvey (edited 07-20-2000).]

I have always thought that these two ***CENSORED*** blades would make good budget fighters:

Offensive image of production knives deleted.

...but once you go over $100, I would just save up another $100 and get a handmade knife.

Sorry, forgot that VooDoo Child said price was no big deal. Didn't mean to get anybody's skivvies in a ringer.

[This message has been edited by Steve Harvey (edited 07-26-2000).]

Mad Dog makes great fighters too:

oliver_voodoo_s.jpg

Voodoo Queen (8") and Voodoo Child (6.5")

I put one of these on order as soon as I saw it:

voodoohound.jpg

Voodoo Hound (7")

Hard to beat the Black Cloud Sharktooth as a medium fighter for $200. Ernie Mayer will make them in any length from 4" to 8". I have one each in 5.5", 6.5", and 7.5":

shrks.jpg

Actually I have the Peacekeeper I and I think it's a great knife. However I'm interested in buying custom mades because I think It would be better to support a skilled craftsman dedicated to knife making. For some reason I don't like mad dog knives but that 6.5 inch fighter looks cool
smile.gif
I've browsed through what seems like thousands of knifemakers websites and found four that I really like. If you could give me your opinions on the following: Joe Cordova, Steve Corkum, Wally Hayes and of course Don Fogg.

Heres one for ya-

Schuyler Lovestrand.

Just got back from the Guild Show, of all the folks that i wasnt real familiar with, his work struck me.

Ecxellent work.

------------------
" The true way of the sword is the craft of defeating the enemy in a fight, and nothing other than this" Ibid

www.lameyknives.com

If you loved Don Fogg's Katana but thought the price was a bit out of range, you should look at Wally Hayes. You can see some of his work which has beeen reviewed here and links to his site are there too. He can and does make very expensive high end fighters, but he can also make very high quality forged blades for less. I'm not talking about the simple O1 chisel ground tantos, although you may like those too, but the kind reviewed on the threads above. I think one has been named the Typhoon, but they are custom and you can help design your own. Want it light and fast? Wally may do a distal taper. I bthink the quality is superb. The last damascus 7 incher Wally made for me was and is so beautiful and feels so good in the hand that it's a bit of a revelation every time I handle it. I'm not kidding.
Polkowski is also great, but I don't have anything longer than a CQ or Scorpion. Lightfoot's Predator is a very, very nice knife in BG42, but I think Greg will make it up in whatever material you want, including Talonite, if he has the stock on hand. But that is chisel grind.
Les Robertson is very knowledgable and great to deal with. Email him or call him, and he has a forum right here too.

HJK...Yeah I'm actually on Wally Hayes waiting list. I was thinking about getting his sub hilt and tanto but they were a little out of my price range. I'm looking forward to owning his Tac-custom and his Typhoon. Both are beautiful knives, plus he gives a discount to his fellow canadians eh
smile.gif

I have an "American Inner City Special" - "A Ticket to Survival" from John Smith of Centralia, Il. It is an awesome piece with forged blade of about 9" and a light weight and stag handle. I would suggest you contact John. He has been forging for many years but has not gotton any press after being featured in the old "Fighting Knives" many years ago. He is an excellent make and a consumate gentleman. He is currently making a "camp" knife for me.

Back