who makes the best fighters?

img29.jpg

The Jerry Hossom Millennium Black fighter.

Check out Jerry's Site at http://www.hossom.com

------------------

Louis Buccellato
http://www.themartialway.com
Knives, Weapons and equipment. Best prices anywhere.
-------------

"only the paranoid will survive"

My vote is for jerry Hossom. His blades are meant for escrima poeple though.. well not MEANT for them maybe CATERED to them. I have his double bladed, his dress carry (sniper) and his 'standard issue call to fame' Millenium Bowie.

I think the more popular bowies out there are thick and HEAVY, Jerry's stuff just flies. and who can forget the immmortal leg of lamb test.. through the bone in one strike! oh heavens
tongue.gif
. He is my fave maker, and it's only natural I cast a vote for him. Nice guy too great guy to chat about blades.. and chicken recipes.
http://www.hossom.com/gallery/

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html
</A> If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

Voodoo, here are a few choices of mine, and they are also in different price ranges.

1)R.K.A.T. Sifu
2)Crawford Kasper Fighter
3)Gil Hibben Kempo fighter
4)Randall #1
5)Corby Fighter... PIC
6)EK
7)K-Bar Marine Combat
8)Cold Steel... PIC
9)Emerson Commander... PIC

There are many more, and I'm sure that you have more than enough to choose from.

Good Luck Voodoo!

<center>Cold Steel Ranger</center>
View

<center>Emerson Commander
View

<center>CorbyFighter

View

us_marine_corps_clr.gif

------------------
BC...For those who fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know... Semper Fi

Moderator (to avoid any confustion the only Custom knife in this post is the Corby)

[This message has been edited by narruc1 (edited 07-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by narruc1 (edited 07-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Gus Kalanzis (edited 07-28-2000).]

Hossom Millenium Black Texican Fighter

View

My vote also goes to Jerry Hossom. I.M.H.O. he's one of the most innovative makers of fighting knives out there.

Doug.

[This message has been edited by Hart (edited 07-25-2000).]

View

Im no expert knife fighter, but Mike Cooper AKA L6Steel make very fine and well priced knives. This is one I got from him that I believe would make a fine fighter as well as serve as a nice all around knife.

------------------
Richard
icq 61363141
Just some knife pictures
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=110070&a=4518795
UPDATED and REVISED

Thanks to all for your pics and posts. It's not hard to see that Jerry Hossom is a popular choice. I find it strange that nobody else mentioned any of Laci Szabo's knives as being one of their favorites. I can't imagine any other use for them other than as fighting knives.

That texan fighter is really cool Hart.. I didn't get to see that jerry didn't post a pic
smile.gif
so does it mean that all his fighters under 5 inches are now texans since he has so many fans there? what's the wood on that hasndle? did you ask for any special shape or options?

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html
</A> If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

You know, when somebody asks about fighters, I automatically think of a big bowie, but you are right bringing up Laci Szabo's name. I have a Szabo/Black Cloud KerUUK, and it is really hard to beat in terms of function. All the advantages of a conventional blade, plus more ergonomic, better hand protection, and harder to disarm.

The KerUUK is at the top:

View

A lot of the Production Bowies are big, thick, and heavy... SOG stuff, Cold Steel Trailmaster, Gerber Bowies, etc.

Grab a distally tapered forged Bowie by somebody like Jerry Fisk, Joe Flournoy, Harvey Dean ... these are a WHOLE different ballgame and will very much surprise you as to weight and balance compared with big flabby production stuff by SOG or Cold Steel.

A lightweight sleeper: Bob Dozier does his "Ranger" tactical with a stick tang inside of Micarta in D2. Great heavy duty utility belt knife besides being tactical and double guarded like a fighter. Balance is just a bit blade heavy but it's so much lighter than the full tang knife I was surprised.

Also, got a chance to handle Darrel Ralph's fighter at Guild Show also. Very nice. I will put my money where my mouth is this year on this knife. Darrel says he'll do it in 3V, 420V, or 52100 forged for an extra $100. Darrel finetuned the design a bit since the pics were posted somewhere on-line a few months ago. Maybe he'll read this and post a new pic. This is another fighter that actually works as a great utility belt knife (unlike that UUK thing...whew).

Call me a goof, but I'm a WHOLE lot more likely to be surprised by a wild boar and need to "fight" it with a knife than I am likely to have a 6"-9" fighter on my belt when I need to "fight" a person. Either way I'm more likely to have a pistol anyway. I won't have anything like the UUK on my belt while hunting, that's for sure. So I have this bizzare preference for a useful outdoors knife that, oh, can serve as a fighter if need be. I'm also a terrible smart a$s and pretty sarcastic sumbitch, so don't anyone get bent too far outta shape too much by my UUK comments. ;-)

Also handled RJ Martin's new Odyssey at Guild. Les Robertson will eventually post the pic on his page, but it's not up yet. However, it is basically the same overall design as the "Quest" but upsized and made with a larger top side guard, with about 6-1/2" blade out of 1/4" CPM3V stock. I saw the 1/4" stock and interesting design, grabbed the knife and was immediately impressed at the perception of light weight brought about by the great balance. He skeletonized the full tang a bit to balance it, really slick and quick for being made of such thick, stout stock. Another one I'll put my money on later this year.

Smaller "sorta-fighters" that can again serve utilitarian tasks: RJ's Quest (5") and Trek (4") are gems.... Les Robertson's verbage about the handle comfort is no sales BS, these are really great knife designs to my eye and hand. I sprung for the Trek. Will grab the Quest when it's out in 420V.

Jerry Hossum's knives are very nice as well... he had all sizes on his table, including that big wicked two-handed-grip sword he does ... Millenium something-or-other. Pretty neat piece. Would be fun to own one of these.

Somebody mentioned Schuyler Lovestrand. He does some beautiful work in the Siska/Broadwell/Casteel vein, usually high end stuff. Great recurved, hollow ground fighters.

I broke down and bought the Broadwell MLR subhilt in 7" of recurved, double hollowground beauty. Kind of like a lightweight Brend Model 2 subhilt, light enough to be a true fighter while Brend's stuff is pretty heavy, but also tremendous.

Dave Broadwell is one of the most versatile and talented knife makers in the world today. He's a phenom. From tactical folders and fighters, to hunting knives, to full blown sculpted art folders and fighters, to these just tremendous art swords, and back down to sculpted letter openers out of Smolen damascus. The guy is a just tremendously talented. Again, Les Robertson turned me onto Dave a few years ago and I now own 9 of his pieces. Gems, all.

------------------
rdangerer@home.com

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 07-28-2000).]

Hi Sniperboy, the handles are Snakewood,(the best quality I've ever seen). I asked Jerry to do the extremely difficult job of shrinking his Millenium Bowie down to a 5.5" bladed knife & I am very pleased with the result. The handle on the knife is basically the same as the Millenium bowie,(of course a bit smaller). Here in Texas, we have some fairly decent knife laws. As long as it's not double edged,(i.e. a dagger), almost any fixed blade knife with a blade 5 & one half inches long or smaller is legal to carry openly or concealed. Personally, I think that there should be no restrictions on any types or sizes of knives.

Doug

Al Polkowski is the only custom maker that I would currently carry to protect my life. There are several great fighters out there, but when it's my money and my a$$ on the line, he's the man.
That being said, my next custom order is going to be a blade from Mr. Jerry Hossum. I visited his site recently, and was very impressed.
Thanks to the forumites that pointed him out to me.

Steve

Check out my site from the great white north.

More bang for the buck for you people down south.http://www.ckg.org/Frigault/Frigault.htm#GUILD

[This message has been edited by Rick Frigault (edited 08-11-2000).]

I think a great choice would be Steve Ryan. I do not think he has a web page but his address is 6762 Hazard Ave, Dept. TK, Westminster, CA 92683 (714) 799-1292. You must check out this mans knives, they are special.

Rick F.

Really like those little 4" knives! Very interesting and ergonomic looking handles.

[This message has been edited by Steve Harvey (edited 08-10-2000).]

VOODOO, I personally believe that the best fighter is the one you design yourself. As a custom knife maker, I like to rely on the imagination of my customers when they order a knife. Looking at other designs is a good way to get started, but in order to be truly happy with a knife, I recommend that you design your knife on paper based on what you've seen and tempered with what you want.

Any good maker can interpret what you want from your drawings, but communication is important for the final outcome so you can be sure to get what you're after. In my experience, a forged blade is by far the best choice. Commercially produced knives are without soul, and stock removal knives are far superior to them when produced by a talented maker. The forged blade carries with it a little of the soul of the maker and almost feels 'alive' in your hand.

When I forge a knife, I always experience a deep regret when shipping it to the customer. That's what makes the 'best' knife. Personal involvement in it's creation.

------------------
M.Ogg

This time Ill hide the reality check here so Spark can't find it.

Guys, knives are inanimate objects. They do not have souls, they do not come alive in your hands.

Forged blades are not better than stock removal and visa versa.

It is the skill of the maker, combined with their understanding of how to work the machines and selecting and getting the most out of the materials they chose to use, that determines the quality of the knife.

As the saying goes in the sniper community (when looking at a real nice sniper rifle say the H&K PSG). The only guy who could miss with that rifle is the guy who can afford it.

The reality of knife fighting is your skill level with the knife you select. This is coupled with you ability to carry and access quickly this knife when needed.

The best knife to have in a knife fight is the one you can put in your hand, right now.

You can have the greatest forged/stock removal blade ever produced (soul and all).

However, if you are not competent with it, cannot access it and do not have what it takes to use it on another human being. This knife will do you no good.

So guys, first things first. Find a good martial arts school and learn how to utilize your body first. Oddly enough you carry that with you where ever you go.

When I was in college there was this guy that lived in my dorm. There were several of us who were involved in Karate. He would walk in and say "Karate, ha! Id just take out my gun and kill you". Having heard this for months I walked up to him, grabbed him by the throat, did a foot sweep knocked him to the ground, and dropped my knee on to his sternum. I told him at that point he had three seconds to pull out his gun and kill me or I was going to rip out his throat and kill him.

He did not have his gun. Suffice to say, bluffs don't always work and pleading temporary insanity back then got you only 150 hours of community service for killing an A**Hole.

Seriously, in Illinois at the time you had to be 21 to own a gun, and could not have one in the dorm. As we were all 18-19 years old and lived in the dorm, I came to the conclusion that he didnt have one.

So the only real damage done to this individual was a sore throat, got the wind knocked out of him and his pride was a littled damaged. However, I never heard that
"I'll pull my gun out and kill you thing again".

Point being, don't bluff, don't even say you have a weapon. Only take it out to use it to protect your life or the lives or your loved ones.

Here are some simple rules I have learned from my younger days.

Leave when you can. Your pride will heal much faster than your body.

Run towards a gun.

Run away from a knife.

When you cannot get out of the situation try and make your first offensive strike one that causes serious damage to your opponent.

When Faced with multiple opponents, take out the one that is doing the most talking. The more painful you can make it to that individual, the more likely the others will not want to continue.

The quicker you make someone realize their own mortality, the sooner the fight will end.

------------------
Les Robertson
www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com

"If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor"
Albert Einstein

Les, you sound like an intelligent man and one who knows what he's talking about. I would like to study martial arts under you. As for the reality check, how many knives have you forged lately? How many times have you admired your work after long hot hours at the forge and experienced the pain of regret knowing that you won't get to keep it?

Being involved with martial arts like you obviously are, it seems odd that you speak so lightly of the 'soul'. When you create an 'inanimate' object from a lump of steel or iron, it takes on an animation known only to the maker. A careless buyer, only after an 'inanimate' object to kill people with, can't possibly know what he is buying unless he participates with the maker and is a part of the process.

It's good to be knowledgeable about something you're involved in. But, as a dealer in custom knives, you should take more of an interest in what you are dealing in. A custom maker deserves more than the casual attitude you have toward their efforts and creations. A custom maker is an artist. Their work to be appreciated and sought after by those who desire it.

------------------
M.Ogg

Back