Who owns a Dobruski ??

Just for reference; the ATS-34 blade bali is CB06 and the damascus is CB14

-Michael

Dave.., I don't have any with the Ti-Handles yet.., but the SS-handled Bowies I have flip really nicely now. The tolerances are just very close.., so they take a bit of "break-in" time. Really great knives!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Blasto: The Ti handled one I have ais smooth and fast, once you do what Gary did with those washers and a little Miltec. They seem to "float" better than the 42's and that totally attributable to the ultra-tight tolerances of the tang fork. There is very little blade play, so the sensation would be a bit like the Tachyon, just not as solid. You'll love the latch....

Originally posted by Chefget
Just for reference; the ATS-34 blade bali is CB06 and the damascus is CB14
Damn, I always thought that was the cb21... They sure are resemblent!

Thanks, Chefget, now I have to update my library. ;)

Originally posted by tonyccw
Blasto: The Ti handled one I have ais smooth and fast, once you do what Gary did with those washers and a little Miltec. They seem to "float" better than the 42's and that totally attributable to the ultra-tight tolerances of the tang fork. There is very little blade play, so the sensation would be a bit like the Tachyon, just not as solid. You'll love the latch....

Two questions... One, will I have to put the washers in myself? Will this be difficult? And two, what's up with the latch? I've heard that there's something unique about them, but never what it is. Actually that was three questions and a statement. :)

Originally posted by Blasto
And two, what's up with the latch? I've heard that there's something unique about them, but never what it is.
I think these pictures would show it quite well:
dobruski8S.JPG

dobruski9S.JPG

(Yes, the pictures are stolen without permission from Chuck Gollnick's site. You can read more about this (Chefget's) balisong here (also on Chuck's site).)

If they don't, I'll try to explain: Instead of a latch gate, the latch is thicker on the part that wouldn't touch the handle when swinging around. Works just as a latch gate. :D

How about the issue of blade touching the inside of the handle when the bali is closed?

Just had number 64 reserved for me. Now its jus a matter of waiting for 360 days.

Originally posted by Copis
How about the issue of blade touching the inside of the handle when the bali is closed?
Read Chuck's article linked to in my previous thread. It's descibed there. The belly of the blade is too deep for the kick, like you can see on one of the pics. The belly goes below the kick's stopping axe, if you know what I mean. In other words, it could just as well not have a kick at all, cause it really makes no purpose since the blade touches the handle anyway.

Did this help you?

The blade touching the handle is no longer a problem. Here is a pic of the inside, blade-side of the CB14. The arrow shows where the tang properly meets the handle.

dobruski_inside.jpg

I believe that with one good sharpening the CB06 blade would no longer hit the handle! :)

-Michael

Dawkind: PICS!!! :D

Chefget: What are the metal in the handles made of? It must be pretty soft, if the kick can make a mark like that...? :confused:

Sorry BlackJack!!! 21 stays here and she swings exceptionaly well I might add...

The washer deal, it's a little tricky to put back together but it was certainly worth the effort, as now I carry it about everyday and USE it to open boxes, coffee bags and straps all the time, the edge is ground thin enough to really slice well...:D

The handles are snug with little play but it's an aquired taste to get the flipping down, when I go to cut I rely on a non-flashy single flip up, very fast and solid opening and double flip closure, a little flashy but a nice sound none the less!

ChefGet! Michael, those are nice Balis! Got to see them in Baltimore and now my knife works as smooth as yours felt, though not damascus as your's but the ATS-34 seems to have a good heat treat and keeps it's edge very well.
Swingin' out of here...:D
G2

I second what ix said, we need pics Dawkind!!

And could I expect to see a Dobruski at the Oregon Blade Show? I need as many reasons as possible to go so I can justify limping my car to the east coast. :D

Nice pictures Dudley.., yeah I don't think I ever saw number 8 either.., very nice!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

I'll own a Dobruski in about a year... I just placed order #66. Could someone please wake me up next February? Zzzzzzzzz...

Back