1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Who owns a knife made by Phillip Chappell

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by jaz322, Jul 27, 2019.

1. jaz322

jaz322 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    History in the making right here folks. The forge has turned out some fine makers and this is no exception. Excited to post up the following ‘unboxing’ impressions of this bushcrafting beauty —

Out of the box, I immediately noticed the steel on this knife is hefty (0.125) and looks to have the best spalting of any knife I’ve owned — that’s saying a lot!
    A93B1D64-A11B-4AEC-B129-88F0F8200991.jpeg

Secondly, the subtle maroon pinstripes....nice accent on the black micarta.
    FA1589F8-4D55-4BC1-85CB-9F623E138ABB.jpeg

It just so happens to fit my hand to a T. I actually had the privilege of seeing the conceptual profile during a visit to the shop shortly after BLADE show, so I had an idea of its size. The finished handle size turned out even better than I’d imagined. You can't make a perfect handle for everyone, but this one is right for me. Handles that feel too small (not including tiny pocket edc’s and sentimental pieces), don't stay in my collection.
    5CD06B0D-7514-422D-924D-9B40FDA6122B.jpeg

Approx. overall length of the knife is just over 8.25 inches, with a 3.625-inch blade. When looking through my collection for a comparable size, the ke bushie, kephart, and bushcrafter are closest. This is not a slim and slicy knife. It is a straight up bushcrafting knife. Would love to see a user review on this model (not with this knife) by one of our resident experts. I probably picked this knife up 20 times the first day, just to feel how nice the grip is. The belly of the handle is just right on this model. Some glamour shots:
    2FB47B0F-3D33-4361-8086-C7FC9DAC0469.jpeg
    56AC995A-2591-4DC5-9A2A-98F449369E3C.jpeg

Phillip, congratulations on your knife making. Clearly you have learned from the best.

As @VANCE turns out more blades in the future — let’s see ‘em, folks!

2. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Very cool! I don't own any by Phillip yet, but if he keeps this up I will need to.

Choppaman, Tutone and VANCE like this.
  3. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    @jaz322
    Thank you for the kind words and taking the time for a few photos & sharing your thoughts. I was so nervous you were going to think it was a piece of junk.

That is the only knife that I have Sold (Uber Elite class you are in:D:D:D:D). I hope to change that soon though.

And yes, I have some of the very best Makers in the shop that are always willing to help me out anytime I ask.

4. Tutone

Tutone Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2017
    Very cool Phillip‼️ I’m gunna need a Vance knife too. You need a bitchn’ makers mark

5. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    i was thinking something simple & clean but i'm having trouble coming up with a Brand or any of that kinda stuff..which is crazy as I think about it because I've come up with quite a few Model names, handle material names & other stuff for other Makers that have been around the shop

Tutone likes this.
  6. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Well, hit them up to help you out. OR you could take ideas from us. :)

Choppaman and Tutone like this.
  7. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    well...that an idea that i had not thought about:D:D:D:D:D

srsly...i didnt think about that

Tutone and Nbrackett like this.
  8. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    im not sure why the spalting is so nice on this one . i do the spalting process on Fiddlebacks and mine.....its a mystery...

varga49, Nbrackett and B Griffin like this.
  9. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    How the spalting is going to come out is almost always a mystery isn't it?

Tutone likes this.
  10. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    ive noticed trends and trying to dial in all the spalting

Tutone and B Griffin like this.
  11. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Ah okay. Trends are usually a good thing to find.

By the way, I love the forward end of your handle. I love that it wraps further down around the leading side of forefinger for wider surface area for the forefinger to contact rather than just the narrow metal of the integral guard. It's nice to spread out the pounds per square inch there when pressing forward on the tip while pushing and twisting the handle. Like when boring or making intricate notches like on a try stick. I also like the below-center point a lot.

Tutone and VANCE like this.
  12. RobbieB

RobbieB Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    I've heard at least one person say they had an A2 knife that just wouldn't patina, so I wonder if there are slight variances in different lots of the steel that's enough to make a difference in its propensity to patina/rust and if this has anything to do with how well the spalting "takes".

B Griffin likes this.
  13. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    Phillip, I’m excited to see this first sold really fine blade. I’m hoping to be in the top 10 owners.
    Use your screen name “Knives by Vance “ or some version of that... just my two cents. Any way Congratulations Brother!

14. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    thank you very much Douglas

15. RobbieB

Jul 13, 2017
    There it is right there. Notorious PIP if you need something shorter. :D

Nbrackett, VANCE and Cohutta like this.
  16. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    its ok I guess

17. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Rivers Edge Knives would be my top choice.

Tutone and Southern Gent like this.
  18. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I love this name. First 10 purchasers also get a shirt with their order...

amPHILbian.JPG

19. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    Hmmmmm

20. RobbieB

Jul 13, 2017
    I like that. It sounds better than Two-Dunks-in-the-River Knives and I-Fell-in-the-River Knives. :D

Lady1911, NOLA and Nbrackett like this.