• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Who said Colonial didn't make a nice knife?

One of my favorite knives to collect are the old Colonials, most people don't give them a second glance, which means I can get 'em cheap and for a company that probably outproduced and outsold most better known knife companies, there are very few mint condition Colonials out there.

Here's a pic of one of my favorites in the collection, a rare find intact with the compass and chain much less the insert, enjoy.

Let's see some of your Colonials.

forestmaster.JPG

I've never seen one of those before. Its fun to collect things that other people haven't started really collecting yet. Like you said, you can get them a lot cheaper. If its like everything else though, there will come a time when
they become desireable, and you'll have a head start on them..

Not me!

I never had anything bad to say about Colonial or old Imperials. I have a very soft spot in my heart for old scout knives of any brand, and that one pictured is very nice. I think the Imperial version was called a Camp King, and they and the Colonials had nice thin carbon steel blades that would get very sharp.

Did I mention I love old scout knives?:)

Having the box and compass in all the original set up is way too neat. May be worth more than you think because of the oroginal box.

Well, I don't know who would have stated such horse pucky, but I will assure you sir, twasn't me!.:D .. Actually, I have always thought that Colonial, Imperial stamped knives were more than adequately made. In fact, those knives were the knives I purchased exclusively as a lad. If I was fortunate enough to have had a Case, Queen, Buck or any of the other of the so called 'top shelf' pocket knives in my pocket, it was only because I had recently made a shrewd trade with one of my compatriots or one of several Uncles was kind enough to pass one in my direction at that particular juncture in my life.. Typically however, it was the latter, and again, I was always in grand company when I had my trusty Colonial or Imperial..

OK then, I'll play.. This particular Colonial was purchased by me at a local knife show 3-4 years back at a bargain price because it reminded me so much of one I had as a younger and less encumbered fellow.:rolleyes:
000_1134.jpg

I know I have got some more around here packed away in a box or two that go way back when. Question: Can we show our Imperials HERE as well?. Or does it have to be Colonials only????

Okay, this one is surrounded by Sportsman type knives, but the scout type is a Kamp King that goes in a double sheath with the far right Imperial H7. It ain't a Colonial, but it is the Imperial version. So here's the recycled pic.

Sportsman-Variants.jpg

Natrually, I like that one, Anthony! I have a few of the utilities just because they kind of appeal to me. Unfortunately, I can't access the scanner currently. The only Colonial I have is a hobo knife.

Okay, this one is surrounded by Sportsman type knives, but the scout type is a Kamp King that goes in a double sheath with the far right Imperial H7. It ain't a Colonial, but it is the Imperial version. So here's the recycled pic.

Sportsman-Variants.jpg

Natrually, I like that one, Anthony! I have a few of the utilities just because they kind of appeal to me. Unfortunately, I can't access the scanner currently. The only Colonial I have is a hobo knife.

I for one would love to see the HoBo knife you have got:)

Here is an old Colonial Peanut I thought several of your Gents may enjoy..;)
000_1135.jpg

Imperial called these "Field And Stream" sets.

I'll try to show some later, high quality Colonials in a bit, like an Old Cutler I acquired after I interviewed Steve Paolantonio, founder's grandson, a few years ago.

Codger :thumbup:

..I'll try to show some later, high quality Colonials in a bit, like an Old Cutler I acquired after I interviewed Steve Paolantonio, founder's grandson, a few years ago.

Codger :thumbup:

I am looking forward to seeing as many of these as you would like to share here!! Thank You in advance kind sir!!:thumbup:

Many Blessings,
Anthony

I forged many trails through the local Jersey woods as a kid with just such a fixed blade, except mine had a compass.:D

Here is a Colonial Old Cutler Premium Stockman (sorry about the poor scans) with a comparable Schrade Uncle Henry below it to compare.

308704.jpg

308705.jpg

And here is an older Colonial Stockman.

LOL, Naturally, Codger's gonna have one of those Imperial kits. In the box no less! Great seeing the original packaging and the ad. Thanks for posting that! I can't explain why, but I've really taken a liking to those old, "Sportsman" type knives. That pair is just sweet to see.

Amos, I agree, the old Sportsman pattern knives were beautiful in their simplicity. As with the Forrest Master/Kamp King patterns, nearly every maker had their version. Some of the earlier ones had quite nice jigged bone handles too. I personally believe they descended from the Marbles Outer pattern. Do away with the integral bolster and replace it with a guard.... this is a bone handled Imperial of that ilk.

But back to the Sportsman, here is an old Utica set.

Amos, I agree, the old Sportsman pattern knives were beautiful in their simplicity. As with the Forrest Master/Kamp King patterns, nearly every maker had their version. Some of the earlier ones had quite nice jigged bone handles too. I personally believe they descended from the Marbles Outer pattern. Do away with the integral bolster and replace it with a guard.... this is a bone handled Imperial of that ilk.

But back to the Sportsman, here is an old Utica set.

You know what makes me sad?

I remember when these were being sold new in hardwear stores. The real hardwear stores with the real wood floors that creaked, smelled of tar, linseed oil, and fertilizer, and had these old guys who knew just what you needed and where it was.

I think I need a toddy.:(

I found a few colonial scout style knives this afternoon browsing in a junk store. one was a camp-king I think. the main blades action left a little to be desired, they were in rough shape to say the least, especially for the prices asked. they might be good for parts or if anyone wants them who collects them, let me know and I'd be more than happy to shoot back there and pick them up.

I'd be worried about actually using them as there is little to no spring tension on the main blade on any of the colonials, but if someone wants me to go back, I'd have no problem after the holidays.

IIRC, there was also a very old, very used camillus boy-scout style knife with blade, punch, screwdriver/bottle opener, and I think can opener. none of these three knives had much spring tension on the main blades.

pete

A vintage large premium Imperial Stockman in brown jigged derlin with all three baldes still very sharp and just barely used..

000_1142.jpg

Back