Who's interested in a special edition 2012 DDR/HTM Forum Gunhammer?

I've been thinking about this for a while but just now got around to making a thread about it. We have a nice community of folks here on the DDR/HTM subforum who love using, collecting, and discussing the knives of Darrel, Dirk, and the folks involved in HTM (e.g., Randall King, Greg Lightfoot).

One of the cool things about the forum -- in addition to the knives, of course! -- is the stuff that Darrel, Hark, and others do to make us feel like part of the HTM family, such as the Crew Member badge system, get-togethers at the major knife shows, and the frequent, not to mention very generous, giveaway contests. One thing that hasn't yet been done, however, is an official forum knife. This is something that the guys on the Traditional Knives subforum here have been doing for years, and recently the Kershaw/ZT forum got into the act as well. The idea is to commission a unique variant of an existing model -- with different blade steel, handle inlays/anodizing colors, etc. -- designed by input/discussion from forum members.

With HTM being a mid-tech manufacturer, the number of knives needed to make this happen shouldn't be too large. (I remember Hark saying in a thread about the Trident blade Gunhammer variant that they'd need 25 orders for it to become part of the regular HTM lineup, so I'm guessing the number needed for this to work would be similar to that.)

With all that background out of the way, I have two questions. First, who would be interested in this? And second, if you are interested, what options would you like to see? The HTM Gunhammer (3.5" blade, machined aluminum handles, titanium liner lock) seems to be the most popular model on the forum, so that's probably the model we should use as our base.

The main things I'd like to see are a blade steel that hasn't made an appearance on a HTM Gunhammer (how about Elmax?) and -- this is the big one -- a manual flipper with Maxx Glide bearing pivot. I'd buy a HTM Forum knife with those two things pretty much regardless of what the blade shape, blade finish, handle anodizing color, inlay material, etc. ended up being. But if you have preferences, or just cool ideas for those aspects of the knife (in italics), definitely include them in your posts below.

Let's hear some ideas, guys! :thumbup:

I'd be interested. Another +1 on the Ti scales if possible. Steel or Ti liners work either way. Elmax steel would be awesome and I'd also MUCH prefer a manual version with the Maxx Glide.

This all sounds good to me. I'd prefer the torpedo or bowie blade. Blue or green anodizing, elmax sounds like it's worth a try, and maxx glide manual would be great.

Sounds kinda like a mini sprint run. If you get the numbers going, I'll see if Darrel will deliver.

I got an email from Lisa stating that the manual GH Bowie should be available next month. Cool!

This all sounds good to me. I'd prefer the torpedo or bowie blade. Blue or green anodizing, elmax sounds like it's worth a try, and maxx glide manual would be great.

I agree with Crimson, this is a knife I've been waiting for. Gun Hammer, Elmax, torpedo, green, and maxx glide manual sounds perfect.

I got an email from Lisa stating that the manual GH Bowie should be available next month. Cool!

I agree with Crimson, this is a knife I've been waiting for. Gun Hammer, Elmax, torpedo, green, and maxx glide manual sounds perfect.
Sounds like a winner. The idea for Ti handles mentioned by some other folks would undoubtedly be cool, but it'd almost certainly also push the price up substantially. In addition to the increased cost of the Ti itself (compared to Al), I recall Darrel (by way of Hark) mentioning in the thread on the upcoming 4" Ti framelock HTM Gunhammer that it takes about 4x as long to machine the ETAC pattern into Ti. Between the increased material, time, and tooling costs, the knife would likely land outside of a lot of people's price ranges.

I'll shoot Hark a PM asking him to check with Darrel on the feasibility of the version with blue or green anodized Al, Elmax blade (torpedo or bowie), and Maxx Glide pivot.

I'd definitely be interested in a knife with the features the OP mentioned, but blade shape might be a factor for me. It wouldn't be a deal-maker, but it could be a deal-breaker. I like the typical non-DLC Radian best (Toedo OK, not into the Bowie). Been wanting a new HTM GH for a while now.

Last edited:
Torpedo blade...olive drab/desert tan aluminum scales...elmax/cts-xhp blade...maxx glide...manual flipper...heat colored Ti hardware...I'm in :D

Torpedo blade, m390 steel, brushed finish, Titanium scales, Assisted flipper

WANT!!!

OK, so I just had time to talk with Darrel about this. Here are the details.

If this is to happen, there needs to be a minimum of 25 hours. The blades can only be bowie or torpedo (you can pick either or when you commit to buying). Blade steel is up to you guys. You guys will have to decide on a single anno color. The knives will be marked forum or whatever you decide. Price quote is 310 for non assisted, Maxx glide bearing pivot, HTM Gunhammers in anno color (that you guys will have to agree on) in either bowie or torpedo. 600 bucks for titanium handles. I don't think he'll do a mix and match run of say 10 aluminum versions and 15 titanium. So you guys will have to really think about this one.

EDIT: Non-assisted because most of you want the Maxx glide bearings. Bearings make an assist mechanism redundant. I don't think Darrel's ever put bearings and an assisted opening mechanism into a single knife. It's either or, so I assumed you guys would prefer the bearings, which is what I asked about when talking with the man.

Hark, I would suggest you don't add anything that would specify this as being related to bladeforums in anyway. That happened over on the Kershaw/ZT side and there was much drama to be had.

That being said, I would definitely be down for an aluminum torpedo. I don't care about color as long as it isn't crazy but it would HAVE to be manual Maxx glide. Now that I have experienced a bearing flipper, I'll never want another assisted knife.

I'd like to see a good US steel for the blade. Something from Crucible or Carpenter. I've heard really good things about CTS-XHP and that would definitely add to the uniqueness.

I suppose it could be sterile and only carry the HTM logo like normal. Up to Darrel and you folks.

My vote is aluminum, green, and Elmax, although I would be fine with a carpenter steel.

I'm SO in for this. You may put my name on the list for one of them as long as it's aluminum, since there's no way I'd be able to swing a $600 purchase. 310 I could manage, though.

Honestly, if it were possible, I think a version with Darrel's signature would be cool, but just the HTM logo would be fine too.

I'm gonna let neuron take point on this, and then I'll forward the details for the finalized order to Darrel.

Im in! Aluminum is great! Manual flipper with elmax blade sounds good! Will we be notified?

Back