Who's interested in a special edition 2012 DDR/HTM Forum Gunhammer?

I would like a blade made from CTS XHP. As I said already; Al, green, max-glide, torpedo. I would like the blade finish to be un-coated. As for markings, I think DDR's logo and maybe 1 of 25 marked somehow.

I would like a blade made from CTS XHP. As I said already; Al, green, max-glide, torpedo. I would like the blade finish to be un-coated. As for markings, I think DDR's logo and maybe 1 of 25 marked somehow.
Yeah, I'm in favor of a pretty minimal approach to the blade markings too: HTM logo, blade steel, and something denoting that it's a limited edition (Ltd. Ed., 1 of [however many there end up being], etc.)

Yeah, I'm in favor of a pretty minimal approach to the blade markings too: HTM logo, blade steel, and something denoting that it's a limited edition (Ltd. Ed., 1 of [however many there end up being], etc.)

Maybe to minimize the amount of writing further we could put "BFC1, BFC2, etc..." for each one that's made. sort of a serial number type approach. Just my preferences though.

Carbon fibre slabs over titanium liners?

TC

Not for 310 bucks. Ti without carbon fiber would already run 600. That's nearing custom DDR pricepoints, so it wouldn't be a smart thing to do unless people just really really really want that configuration.

Yeah, aluminum just makes sense in this case. Really excited to get the ball rolling on this. Maybe neuron or hark can open up a pre-order list soon or something after the polls are finished. This is the forum knife I have been waiting for. I mean $90 for a Skyline? $310 for a semi-custom, limited ed., super steel, ball bearing pivot flipper?

Don't get me wrong, the BFC Skyline is cool, but this is ice cold DDR sexiness.

I'm sure we will be able to get 25 orders together. To all those who have been waiting for their first Gunhammer (myself included), this is THE knife to get.

I also hope that these knives are delivered with a Birth Certificate with a date and signed by Mr. Ralph himself. You know, if he wants too:D

I'll be honest. I'm letting neuron do most of the legwork because I am a bit busier these days at least for a while. Once he gets the final details for the exact configuration, I'll get things going over at HTM/DDR.

It depends on color of handle, I hate showy handles like blue, but i hear elmax or cts-xhp. I will either get m390 or bladeforums

Yeah, aluminum just makes sense in this case. Really excited to get the ball rolling on this. Maybe neuron or hark can open up a pre-order list soon or something after the polls are finished. This is the forum knife I have been waiting for. I mean $90 for a Skyline? $310 for a semi-custom, limited ed., super steel, ball bearing pivot flipper?
Yeah, this is definitely one of the nice things about HTM being a mid-tech manufacturer: the number of commitments needed to make something like this happen are pretty small, and there's a much higher degree of customization possible. (For instance, these will be the first, and so far only, HTM Gunhammers to feature Maxx Glide.) And because HTM's production numbers aren't huge to begin with, they're set up both to make the knives and to sell directly to consumers (who can also get the knives through HTM's excellent dealers, of course), which cuts out the additional cost on something like this that would come from having to have a dealer as a middleman.

(This isn't a knock on Kershaw/ZT or the forum Skyline: given Kershaw's business model as a mass manufacturer who sells only through dealers, it's a testament to Thomas and Spark's commitment to the members of BladeForums that they were able to make that knife happen at all.)

Oh I'm not knocking Kershaw, Spark, and especially Thomas. That's a hard project to take on. Much harder I'm sure. I was just saying that this is a bit more interesting to me at least. I know if the word gets out better on these we will have some good numbers. Maybe some people can put links in their sign and if Spark is feeling generous maybe he would be nice enough to put a link to the final order thread up top on the main page.

I love teamwork.

Oh I'm not knocking Kershaw, Spark, and especially Thomas. That's a hard project to take on. Much harder I'm sure. I was just saying that this is a bit more interesting to me at least.
No worries -- I got what you were saying. I was mostly just clarifying the differences for anyone who happened to casually wander upon the thread: it seems like members of the forum sometimes don't appreciate just how much work and planning is needed to make the knives they love happen, and, especially for mass manufacturers, those complexities are compounded in the case of special orders like the Forum Skyline.

That said, I share your feelings about this knife being the most appealing forum knife to come along, not least because the basic platform (the HTM Gunhammer) is one of my favorite knives. Hopefully others will feel the same way! Once the specs are finalized and I've posted the order thread, I'll definitely be putting a link to it in my signature. That's also a good idea to check with Spark about putting a link at the top of the main page. In addition to doing it with the Skyline, he did the same thing with the Traditional Forum Knife last year, so hopefully he might be open to it.

I would caution against asking Spark to post a link.

A) I think that we already have more than 25 committed buyers.

B) No offense to him but that is where the Skyline thread spiraled out of control. What started as a Kershawguy special order Skyline model organized by the forum quickly turned into a Spark controlled official bladeforums knife.

C) I think that it was actually a little for the best on that end only because the minimum order was so high (500 pieces) that it needed a more rigid yet supported method of distribution. When talking about 25 pieces, I think it would just be best to keep it as small and organic (and unique!) as possible.

I would caution against asking Spark to post a link.

A) I think that we already have more than 25 committed buyers.

B) No offense to him but that is where the Skyline thread spiraled out of control. What started as a Kershawguy special order Skyline model organized by the forum quickly turned into a Spark controlled official bladeforums knife.

C) I think that it was actually a little for the best on that end only because the minimum order was so high (500 pieces) that it needed a more rigid yet supported method of distribution. When talking about 25 pieces, I think it would just be best to keep it as small and organic (and unique!) as possible.
Agreed on all points.

Regarding (b) and (c), if the tradeoff for having Spark post a forum-wide link would be making it an "official BladeForums knife" and/or having to go through Spark or another dealer to buy it (not sure if Spark is a HTM/DDR dealer), we'd have to respectfully decline. As you mention, and as TriviaMonster and I discussed above, the Kershaw forum knife was a somewhat different situation in terms of scale and distribution model that necessitated a dealer's involvement. Here, the involvement of a dealer would be unnecessary -- Lisa at DDR/HTM already takes care of administrative stuff, including billing/payments -- and would likely do nothing except bump up the price for the end user.

But if, as with the link to the Traditional Forum knife that Spark has kindly posted in the past, he's willing to do it simply so more people can find out about a cool forum knife -- while keeping the process of designing the knife, ordering/payment, shipment of product, etc. between forum members and the relevant manufacturer -- I don't see any harm. That brings me to point (a). I agree that we can very likely get 25 or more commitments even without a forum-wide announcement. But making the wider announcement will help bring even more exposure and potential new customers to DDR/HTM, and the larger scale may even lower the cost per knife a bit.

Also, if there is any wider announcement, it'll come only after the configuration has already been finalized (which should happen sometime within the next few days). If people who don't frequent the HTM forum and only find out through the announcement like it, they can buy one; if they don't, then they can pass.

Last edited:
Yea, I think also, that a run that's around 25 is easier for Darrel to handle than a massive order for something like 100+. The turn around time on an order of that magnitude would be much longer. You have to understand that this is in addition to the pre-existing orders he has to fulfill, not to mention the custom knives he needs to finish or get started like *cough* mine.

Also, if this becomes successful, you guys could always do another 25 run sprint somewhere down the line with different steel or even the same steel but in a different color handle anno.

Yea, I think also, that a run that's around 25 is easier for Darrel to handle than a massive order for something like 100+. The turn around time on an order of that magnitude would be much longer. You have to understand that this is in addition to the pre-existing orders he has to fulfill, not to mention the custom knives he needs to finish or get started like *cough* mine.
Yeah, obviously we'll do whatever Darrel prefers in terms of announcements, order size, etc. I had just been assuming that, within reason, more orders and exposure for HTM would be preferable, but if Darrel would prefer to keep the order size closer to the 25-knife minimum, then of course that's fine as well.

Hi neuron -

I thought I had posted here already - I would be very interested in this knife.

best

mqqn

I would like to keep it around 25 just because I'm selfish.

25 makes it rarer and puts it in our hands FASTER!!!!

Back