1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Whos the resident BUCK expert?

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by DrDeath, Nov 27, 2012.

1. DrDeath

DrDeath

Nov 20, 2012
    I have a historical knife value question for the resident BUCK expert. Who is the expert collector here? Please Thanks

2. Morrow

Morrow Don't make this weird Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 11, 2007
    DrDeath.

You'll find plenty of Buck experts here more than willing to discuss your knife. What can't be discussed is value at your current membership level. We have membership requirements here to sell and discussing value has been used in the past to circumvent these rules. Thanks for understanding.

Jason

3. DrDeath

DrDeath

Nov 20, 2012
    OH!........Didnt know.... But that wasnt my intent to circumvent anything... Sorry

4. mbjannusch

mbjannusch

Apr 1, 2010
    I can tell you what you have and when it was manufactured, but as for value it can't be discussed on the forum.

5. DeSotoSky

DeSotoSky Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2011
    "I know nothing, nothing"

[​IMG]

6. Morrow

Apr 11, 2007
    I never thought for a second you were doing anything wrong and we're glad to have you here. :) I was in "prevention" mode as I saw you were inquiring about value in your first post.

7. mbjannusch

mbjannusch

Apr 1, 2010
    Ok can we find out what you have, I'm dying to know

8. DeSotoSky

DeSotoSky Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Gee Matt, this thread has had 132 views so far and we still haven't heard the question.... :confused:

9. 375dave

375dave Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2011
    I always like to hear the question then try to learn from the answer.

10. mbjannusch

mbjannusch

Apr 1, 2010

But we keep coming back, it's like a bad joke...

11. mbjannusch

mbjannusch

Apr 1, 2010
    For the love of god, the question please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Stumps

Stumps Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Well, I have a historical question for you until DrDeath returns. :)

I remember a recent thread about the inverted three liners all being made in 1972. Does that hold true for the Kalinga also??

I've also heard there was an even older Kalinga. Have you or anyone here ever seen one....maybe even have a picture of one??

DrDeath....you have two members here on your thread that are waiting patiently for your question and they are a wealth of knowledge. They can most likely answer any question you have. I am NOT one of those two, but you also have my interest.

13. Haebbie

Haebbie Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2006
    I am too lazy to dig out your old thread.

Yes

No

I hope there is nothing to be sad about. Comes time comes answer, may be in another thread ;) :)

Best,
    Haebbie

14. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    ... historically speaking, the klingons had never used a buck kalinga in any episode of star trek

15. Plumberdv

Plumberdv

Sep 26, 2008
    I'm not quite sure how to take this statement by Joe Houser in an article (BCCI newsletter June 2007), but it seems to indicate that the three line inverted stamp on the Kalinga started the year it was introduced (1970). If I read and understand him correctly, the two line is rare to non-existant, so that would mean to me that the three liner came the first or at the latest, the second year of production (1971).

"The 401 Kalinga was first introduced in 1970. The
    earliest pictures we have show a two line stamp,
    BUCK, U.S.A. Although it is likely that the one in
    the picture is the ONLY 401 with a two line stamp, I
    mention it here just in case you have one in your collection.
    I have never seen another like it so in either
    case, it is a very rare variation. The more common
    stamping is BUCK, KALINGA, U.S.A. The stamp
    will be in the inverted position, read with the tip
    pointed down, on the first versions. The handles will
    be of a wide grain black micarta. Sometimes it will
    even appear to be more of a grey color. These knives
    will be in the hinged box. It is likely that this type of
    box was used up until about 1985, and then a new 2
    piece box was used."

16. David Martin

David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    While were waiting we may as well talk Kalinga's. Yes, the two line stamped Kalinga's do exist as I've held one and tried to buy it. It was in excellant condition, with box and all the paperwork. Though, I went up to $$$ he wouldn't part with it. I've also seen the 3 line inverted stamped blades. So, their out there... DM

17. Stumps

Stumps Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Thanks Dave and Dave!! I have a couple of the inverted three line Kalingas. I wish I could just lay my eyes on one of the elusive two liners!!

18. mbjannusch

mbjannusch

Apr 1, 2010
    The tern elusive was used by me at one point to explain the rarity of a 119/120 made in 1973 which had 4 micarta spacers. It just so happens that term cought on and now there is an "Elusive 119" on a certain auction site, that has a 1973, three line stamp with 4 micarta spacers. This has nothing to do with the kalinga, but this thread is a hodge podge any way... Does anybody have anything else we can fill this meaningless thread with???

19. bertl

bertl Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Dr Death died June 30, 2011. Maybe we should let him and his phantom knife rest in peace.

Bert

20. Morrow

Apr 11, 2007
    I hope I did run him off. :eek: