Why automatic knives?

The main benefit of an automatic was and is is to provide the ability to open it with one hand. Yes, the ridiculous Anti-Switchblade laws make them out of reach to most people, however, with the advent of thumb pegs, holes & discs, one handed opening knives are readily available to anyone.
Automatic knives are fun use and practical for those who can legally purchase them. Personally, I don't have a use for them as all the knives I own can be opened via a thumb stud or a hole in the blade. I do suggest that if you own an automatic knife and you reside in an area that considers the knife illegal to carry, leave it at home.

Hunt deer with an AK47...

I actually went hunting once with an HK91. The week before I had opted to try my Remington autoloader in place of my usual model 700 bolt action. Sure enough, the Remington lived up to its reputation and jammed tight on the first round.

I couldn't get it opened in the field and finally had to force the bolt open in camp with a block of lumber and a hammer. Even with basic tools there was no way to disassemble the reciever to get at the bolt.

With the HK91 I had the same ammunition, reliable performance, a 5 round magazine, and fast tool less disassembly if required. The assault rifle was safer, at least I never had to worry about putting a loaded gun into my car for the drive back to camp in order to use a hammer and a block of wood to free up the ?#@&! bolt, and remove a live round.

Back to knives:

The auto knife provides no advantage over the modern folding knife. We buy it becuase we like it, and there is no legitimate reason to bar its use.

ssss-Click!
smile.gif

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

Two things: return volley & thanks.

return volley: Richard, Don & Ken, I didn't need your criticism about my views, especially since you guys were totally off-base. I most certainly DON'T take the mainstream news media's statements on firearms at face value. I don't take ANYthing at face value, which means I say your ideas of the mainstream news media having 'liberal bias' are totally wrong. Get a grip: The government may be all-powerful, but so are the multinational corporations. Do you have any idea how much Sumner Redstone is worth? $$BILLIONS$$!! He's one of two guys in charge of AOL-Time Warner Inc., the mega-corporation of modern TV & Internet content. As for what supports the Internet (hardware & server platforms), around 70% of all Net traffic goes on stuff built & owned by Cisco Systems. Now, that's POWER. And if you three are serious about defending our freedom as citizens, then get a grip: The federal government is not the only threat, nor is it even the worst one. If you guys are serious, then start a revolution, but make sure the CEOs & corporate boards of directors are overthrown as well as the Congress & President. Otherwise all your efforts will be for naught!

FYI, I also am not ignorant about firearms in general. My fave thing is a slide-action 12-gauge shotgun because you can do so much with it & ammunition is easy to get & customize to one's own purposes. Due to certain events in my past, however, I cannot legally own one (no, I haven't been convicted of anything). But that's okay with me since there are a million ways around the prohibition. That's one of the reasons I came to bladeforums: The state said I can't own a gun, but it said nothing about knives, or sticks, or flexible weapons, or... I came here to find people of a common interest who had concrete knowledge. I didn't come here to be mistakenly attacked as a bleeding-heart liberal (I don't get along with "liberals" any more than I do "conservatives". The terms mean nothing useful, anyway, since ideology in general is bunk). I too am opposed to weapon prohibition, but not because of some 200+-year-old document. I oppose it because prohibitions don't work & never have, at last not in this country. If a total ban on guns actually DID pass, you three might yell about our rights being taken away, but I wouldn't: I'd get a lathe & milling machine, then scrounge/buy/steal some good metal stock & go into the gunmaking business! Just like the drug kingpins, the law would ensure a constant supply of customers & unending profits for me. Hell, why march, protest & get imprisoned when you can get rich instead?
biggrin.gif
Maybe I could hire one or two guys on here to be vendors & sell my wares! *uproarious laughter*

thanks: to all the rest of you who posted. I like the variety of your answers, & many good points were made. I like the one that said he owns an auto knife even though it is illegal to do so in his area. Spade, you're a man after my own heart! The next time I drink, I will raise a cold one for you.

jsitm

------------------
"Wise men argue causes, & fools decide them."

- Anarchus

Whoa....guess the point flew right over your head huh? Ok, please clarify for me. You said cutting rope with an auto knife and hunting deer with an ak47 is 'overkill'. Without getting all bent out of shape and ranting about overthrowing big corporations (that came out of nowhere dont ya think) explain WHY its overkill.

------------------
Richard Todd - Digital knife photography
icq 61363141
My WebSite
Do your site a favor, get quality digital images!!!
New photos added!!!

jsitm,

I don't know who's post you read, but it can't be the one I made.
I didn't criticize your views, I didn't attack you, I didn't call you ignorant, (or make any other derogatory remark.) I SURE didn't call you a bleeding heart liberal.

On the other hand, you take a fairly innocuous post that was in response to a fairly inflammatory post, and make all sorts of assumptions about myself and others.
You're telling ME to "Get a grip?"
If disagreeing with you and stating my opinion is arguing with you and being "without grip" you'll never find enough "like minded" people to fill a phone booth.
Lotsa luck though,
Cya.

------------------
Tráceme no sin la razón, envoltura mi no sin honor

Jsitm - there is a fundamental error in your suggestion that what we really have to fear, is not the government, but large corporations, as you said, "that's real power." I used to think pretty much the same thing, however, governments and corporations are actually a universe apart in that regard.

1. Governments are the only entities which have the legal right to use force. To tax, to force compliance with laws, to even execute those who don't comply. The government can legally kill any citizen. It is the threat of jail and even death which ensures we pay our taxes. It's not optional.

2. Corporations have to compete for people's business. The instant they no longer satisfy, we take our money elsewhere. If they don't adjust to our demands, or our preferences, they die. The only way they can force us to do business with them is get the government's help, with its right to use force.

Know your enemy. It is not free markets, or freedom. As much as we need government, it is a constant threat to human freedom, as it has been since the beginning of recorded history, and it will never change. That is it's nature. Jack

More Expensive - It's my money and I'll buy if I want to, buy if I want to, buy if I want to.....

Illegal - Yeah, so are speeding, and carrying wire cutters in the state of Texas (throwback to rancher/farmer wars, still on books) Also there is a law on the books in the state of Texas that says "if two trains meet head to head on the same track, one train cannot leave until the other one is gone..." Go figure that one out...

Short Blade - Refer to "Illegal"

Supporting rod breaking during a "straight thrust" - Wouldn't know about this, I wouldn't do any straight thrusting with a cheap stiletto, that's what real automatics are for
wink.gif

Folders are just as good - No they are not, they are manual...
wink.gif

(Using one to cut rope, etc., seems to me like hunting deer with an AK-47. Kind of ridiculous). - Kind of like the question "Why Automatic Knives?"

Brandon

Jsitm. You made a blatantly liberal statement about guns. "deer hunting with an AK-47" has been used by every pablum puking liberal in America. So, you opened yourself up for criticism. You further opened yourself up for criticism by stating you have been deemed mentally incompetent at some point in the past. This would be the only reason besides a felony conviction that would bar you from firearms ownership.

I'll split the difference and opinion at the same time.I think personally an automatic is just as fast as some of the manuals now a days,and I thi9nk they should be legal IF they are a side opener,now Out the Fronts are another matter,they are really harshly looked upon for good reason.I'm sure Microtech lovers will disagree.The combat Talon II is one bad mamajamma,but its only place is combat.I'd love to see side openers legalized and keep the otf's from it.

Ken, your series of questions & subsequent comments seemed like an attack on me &/or my post. At the very least, your post implied that I should not ask why anyone would want to own an auto knife. If this was not your intent, then excuse my faux-pas & I sincerely hope we get along in the future.

Also, the post about corporations WOULD be true, if we had a free market. We don't. It's corporate-dominated. You guys would be amazed at the tax breaks, kickbacks, & other things the fedgov puts in the trough for big business. At the same time, over 90% of small businesses fail within their first 5 years of existence. Not all of that is due to competition; there are many laws that favor corporate business at the expense of local business. It's happened enough in San Fran; chain stores have been killing off our local places for years.

Enter the word "wealthfare" into any search engine & look at what turns up. You would be surprised. You might also want to enter the phrases "SLAPP", "soft money", & "face time". Personally, I don't really see the fedgov as distince from corporations anymore. It's all one big multi-headed octopus, slithering its tenticles into every aspect of our lives.

As for nenofury: Well, jeez, kiss my a** & go to heaven, man! I don't get along with pablum-puking liberals, but I don't get along with flag-waving conservatives either. Your post indicates you are of the latter group. YUCK!!

As for my mental competence, you are in no position to judge that. As an aside, what I find ridiculous is that the state says I can't own or use a gun, but yet I still have my driver's license. How it is I am responsible enough to pilot a 2,000-pound hunk of glass & steel, capable of tremendous murder & injury, & yet not responsible of owning & using something with far less potential for deadliness, is something I don't understand. But that's gov't for you.
tongue.gif

jsitm

Let me welcome you to the forum first jsitm.
smile.gif

Now the answer to your post... I'm a knife collector, and a collector of the higher end knives. My collection consists of Fixed blades, folders, and auto's. I find the auto's to be fascinating! I don't buy them to carry, and infact I don't carry any knife that I pay a lot of money for. I buy for the workmanship, the different release mechanisms, the different style blades, and just because they have this mystique around them.

I don't think anyone buys auto because they think they are faster than any other knife. like you said, there are knives out there that you can open faster than some auto's. I must also tell you that an OTF (out the front knife) is not made to open when it is against something, and they are not cheap either. The knives that you are used to maybe are, but pick up a Microtech Halo, and see what a good OTF feels like.

I used to collect just folders until I picked my first auto, and tried it out. Now, because of that I'm a bigger knife nut, and I have less money!
smile.gif
My most expensive auto to date is $2500, and it's my prized possession right now. I'm having one built by Steve Schwarzer, and that will be at the top of the heap when it's done.

Do yourself a favor, and go to a knife show, and pick up a well made auto, hold it, fondle it, let the blade snap out... You will be hooked too!
smile.gif

Good Luck!

------------------
us_marine_corps_md_clr.gif
BC... For those who fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know... Semper Fi

[This message has been edited by narruc1 (edited 02-14-2001).]

I am a US Army INF. COL.
We use auto knives. What`s the big deal?
Why do you civilians care anyway?
You don`t complain about our subguns,our RPG`s,or Stingers. Even when suppressed. We would not like to rile the folks.
Find a life.
I`m supposed to protect you idiots.
I don`t know that I can protect you from yourself.
I am not sure that I care anymore. I get my pension.

Hiya whosyour!
(Having grown up in IN, I get the joke!)
biggrin.gif

I've got two knives beside me right now.
An MT HALOIII and an Emerson Wave Commander.
The HALO has a blade length of 4 inches, the cutting edge is closer to 3 5/8ths.
The Commander has a blade length of 3 3/4th and the cutting edge is pretty much identical.
The Commander deploys FASTER than the HALO, has a very pronounced belly, giving it much greater cutting power than the over all length implies.
Given the choice, if I had to use one in a self defense situation, I'd hope VERY much I'm carrying the Commander instead of the HALO.
The HALO, for all it's "cool factor" is no better cutting tool than a long bladed Case folding knife. It's only advantage over the Case being I can open it faster, and one handed.
The point of all this being, just because it's an OTF doesn't make it more dangerous than a same length blade in a different design.
People, we CANNOT afford to play the game the Gun & Knife Grabbers want us to play!
We CANNOT buy into the mentality that some knives are "good" and have "legitimate sporting purpose" and other knives are "bad" and are "designed to kill."

whosyour,
I don't mean to sound like I'm coming down on you. Not at ALL! My intention is to convince you to come over to my way of thinking, not tick you off and insult you.
It's imperative however that we ALL join together as a knife community instead of factionalizing the way the gun crowd did many years ago.
Long ago, the hunters said, "I don't own, or want a machinegun so what do I care if they're made illegal?"
Because of that divisiveness, you can still own an MG, but the paperwork and legal hoops you have to jump through are formidable.
Let's not let the same thing happen to us?

I think it was Patrick Henry who said
"If we do not all hang together, we shall certainly hang seperately."

Food for thought friend.

------------------
Tráceme no sin la razón, envoltura mi no sin honor

I agree with Narruc. You just can't deny the thrill of a well-made auto. As stated above, pick up a Halo and push that button. You'll feel it. But before you do-- give your wallet to your wife and cut up your credit cards. The fever hits fast, and it hits hard.
biggrin.gif

If you want to immerse yourself in auto-related issues and discover a whole pack of rabidly pro-auto knife knuts, check out www.microholics.com

I'm an Amateur Radio Operator, Ham (KA7QEN) who is not afraid of climbing towers. Several years ago, I was at about 500 feet on a 1500 foot commercial tower working on some antennas for an Amateur Radio repeater that had been generously allowed to borrow tower space. Three of us were on the tower. I was the lowest man. As we were finishing things up, it started to rain. Bummer. Then, we saw lightening in the distance and heard the thunder. A 1500 foot tower is no place to be in a thunderstorm. So, we started down fast. At about 250 feet, my pant leg got caught on a sharp bolt head. I couldn't get it loose. Keep in mind that we're strapped to this tower, it's pouring rain, and there's a thunderstorm approaching. This is no time to dilly-dally around. I grabbed the Benchmade 9700 from my back pocket and cut my pant leg loose.

Could I have done this with a Benchmade 970, same knife but with a disk on the spine? Sure. But with wet hands, I might have dropped the knife.

Could I have used a standard "nail nick" opening blade? Sure. But, I would have had to secure the rest of my harness to the tower so that I could lean back into it to free up both hands. That would take time. Again, with wet hands, it might take even more time.
Could I have used a fixed blade? Maybe. But they're very discouraged for tower work since, if dropped, they are especially dangerous (a 10-24x1 screw dropped from 1000 feet will kill a man if it lands on his head). So, ground crews always wear hard hats when there are men on the tower. A hardhat will keep a closed folding knife from being fatal (you'd still get a good headache from it). But a fixed-blade dropped from 1000 feet will go right through just about any hardhat. With a folding knife, there's at least a chance that the knife will be closed and stay closed.

Keep in mind that it's not unusual for tower workers to use a spray of WD40 to loosen a stuck bold or a dab of grease to waterproof a connector, etc. In other words, your hands might get slick.

In a situation where you may need to open a knife with one hand while your hands are cold and/or wet and/or covered with grease or oil and/or in heavy gloves, an automatic knife may be the best thing.

Autos get a bad reputation for being fast. Well, my Benchmade 9700 isn't very fast. I like it that way since it's a very gentle automatic knife. Perfect for tower work.

------------------
Chuck
Balisongs -- because it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!
http://www.balisongcollector.com

We are not apart here. I am a cop, and Mil. I just made the same point to Dean Torgas about his book,"Hunting the Osage Bow". We can`t afford to squable among ourselves. Our enemies hate us all. We will indeed hang seperatly if they seperate us. Is the Nazi experiance so far in the past? They are not goring my ox.
Riflemen, sixgunners,shotgunners,sling shooters,knifers and archers. Little boys who are little boys.
Let`s face it this is in our soul. We don`t need a Constitution to know that we have the right of self defense, and the means to enforce it.
Anybody who takes responsibility for his actions is a citizen. Absent INS.
We are all targets for the Federalists. The enemies of individual rights.
We will stand together or wonder how this could happen. Those are the facts boys.

Thanks for all the constructive answers, guys. I especially appreciate the variety of them (except for the one from the retired Col.) Don't anyone take me the wrong way--I would NEVER suggest banning automatic knives, or any other kind of knife for that matter. My original question was purely one of personal taste. I don't understand why some truck owners jack up their trucks on lifters & stick monster tires on them, when 90%+ of all those trucks never leave the cement. But I guess that other than job requirements, owning an auto knife is a question of preference. However, a few weeks ago we had a gun show here in town, & I did pick up one of the auto knives they had there. As this is California, they were stubby little things, truly "mouse knives"! I don't know what they were called, or who made them, but they were well-made, short & squat. Nevertheless, when I picked one up & pressed the button, that click was pretty neat! I liked how it could open quickly without my thumb on the blade, too. Still, I walked away with my Criswell FB instead.

For the guy who posted on him: You actually talked to Dean Torges? He's fantastic! I have the 3 volumes on bowmaking, & once I have the space... It;s time to cut stuff at a distance!
biggrin.gif

I resemble that! I was unable to find Traditional Bowyer Vol.11, but have the rest,

Dean is making me a "snakey" Osage. Bill Darr is making another.

Back to autos. I grew up with them. I still have the good stag Hubertus melon knife,(That`s a fun one at a picnic), and Bokers from the `50`s. Some Mex stuff, Misc. Shrades,Imperials and others.
A few Italians confiscated as contraband as a cop from the `60`s; junk. The para MC-1`s. A cheap D/A OTF.
That was of little interest until Ron Miller developed the coil spring for diving. They are bulky and designed to be used with wet suit gloves. That is why they are under appreciated. They clip to the strap of your PFD, so weight and bulk are not a factor in that context.
That led to the high QC autos that we see today.
People who don`t dive critique the black knife. Coming into the surf gets sand in things, an MT won`t work. The sloppy black knife will.
It`s like the oversize tolerances of the mil. spec. 1911.
It will work.
I wear one diving should I lose my leg knife.
And, it started the whole quality auto thing.
Since I am mil., I probably have one of the few totaly legal collections. Being a cop is marginal. No body is going to bug you, but yet it is grey in the law.
No body is interested in enforcing that law, so it is a moot point.
I retired the HALOs 1-111,I use the 11 some. but use the Nemisis. The problem with MT OTF`s is that it takes two hands to safe.
No problem with my issue AFO or AF knives.
My AFCK in M2 is certainly as fast to open and close as the plunge lock L-UDT. If you are not wounded.
TXLASER, Greg Lane made me a custom L-UDT to die for. A gentlemans knife.
The early SOCOM D/A`s are good users. Gee, we take $3,000 dbl. shotguns out in the field.
Aside from the button lock being stronger; what if you caught the "Golden BB" and crashed? You may not be able to operate a manual because of wounds.

If a good D/A OTF becomes available; that will probably complete my collection.

Gee, I reckon you should call the town Marshal about this arsenal. I`ll give you my number and will take appropriate action.
The Office of The Marshal is in the book.

Does this make me a collector?

Back