Why automatic knives?

So jsitm, which was it, a corporate entity or a government entity that suspended your rights? Now a good argument could be made that the corporate interests are behind most of societies ills, and at the forefront of ANY restriction of rights, but it's the government that actually swings the axe.

Ken, that'll be Ben Franklin, I believe, that spoke those words right after putting quill to the Declaration of Independence.

On topic:
I personally don't care one way or the other about auto/manual, except for the ease of closing a one hand manual. Most autos I've seen need two hands to close.

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited 02-14-2001).]

Thanks for the correction guys.
(Glad I didn't sound like I was sure!)
biggrin.gif

------------------
Tráceme no sin la razón, envoltura mi no sin honor

My perceptions in response to the original query....
Automatic knives are fun, unique...I like to carry equipment that's different.

I like my AFO for it's thick handle, blade shape, materials used. I carried it for six months with a broken spring, a good knife is a good knife, whether it's spring loaded or not.

and this is definitely a strange view, but one that works well for me. I like Auto's for retention purposes. I once had an experience where an LEO and myself got into a bit of a scuffle with a subject, my AFCK came unclipped from my pocket and skittered right across the floor, if we hadn't maintained physical control of the person he could have easily gotten to it and used it against either of us. My AFO has a small manual safety that not everyone knows how to disengage. Granted I do realize there are bad guys out there that can, but most of the ones I've dealt with think "Benchmade" is the smallest guy on the cell block that gets stuck with cleaning up the tool shop every day....So, I carry my auto at work for the same reason cops use high retention holsters for there guns, as a safety measure against unautorized use. as i said, a slightly odd perception, and not one that alot of people are likely to share with me, but it's worked so far!

automatic knives are COOL

I have 3 Hubertus switches

One Microtech MUDT Devin Thomas raindrop #55/100

One plastic/metal red handled front opener

That is four autos and approximately 150 other knives.

Automatic knives are veeery cool and a must have for anyone that loves ALL knives.

I live in Florida. Very much legal here.

Autos are just another race of knives.

I am not a racist.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UW Mitch:
I don't own any autos because of the legal aspects. However, as an engineering student, I think autos just increase the mechanical complexity of the knife...I think it's cool! Larry Chew is making a slick "Covert" D/A. I just marvel at the design and engineering behind it.

It's sort of like the Ferrari F1 transmission. A regular automatic transmission basically does the same thing. But the Ferrari F1 transmission is sooo much cooler.

</font>

I'm pretty much with Mitch here (being an engineer myself). But I don't carry an auto for legality reasons myself either. I sold my auto.

The "double action" mode helps allay reliability issues.

But Larry Chew, that rascal, has got my attention, with roller bearing pivot and his somewhat "camoflaged" on/off lever disguised as serrations (!! How freakin' clever is THAT?). Larry's breaking down my willpower to not own auto's.

http://home.swbell.net/chewman/VooDoo.html

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 02-17-2001).]

Someone posted that there were only two reasons for it being illegal to own a firearm.Felony conviction and Mental illness.Actually another reason would be if someone was Dishonorably discharged from the US Military or an "order of protection" was filed against them by another person whether or not it was true or false that they are a threat to that person. So jsitm may not be a psycho crackpot after all
biggrin.gif
:

Cool!

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!
Founding president and member number 1! Wana join?

I happen to be able to lawfully use autos.
I don`t really like that some are prohibited from doing so.
I don`t like any infringement of any freedom in the US. Others may do as they please.

That said; the reason that the Mil. uses autos is that you may be too wounded to cut free without a spring opening. We do not consider them weapons. They are listed as utility knives.

Putting on my LE hat,screw drivers are the most common edged assault weapons. Kitchen knives are next. What makes them weapons is intent. It has nothing to do with the implement in law.

If you are healthy, many manuals can be opened and closed just as well, if not better than autos. The solid steel plunge lock may be the strongest out there. I have never heard of one failing. You would have to shear some steel to fail it. All other locks have been failed by forum members.

It`s too bad that Cliff Stamp lives in a commie country. I would like to see a test by him with his physics background.

And, autos are just plain neat, or cool, whatever the current term is in your jurisdiction.

The OR CT. reasoning for overturning the auto law was that knives are arms suitable for militia purposes and thus protected under the 2nd. Amend.

I don`t know that I agree with the reasoning, but I agree with the result. It made Bench Made possible and it made an upgrade from the WW11 MC-1 possible.

There is no comparison from the Para switch blade to knife, automatic, switch blade NSN-1095-01-4348.

Hi Warrier11 er no Ghost6 oh, sorry FNG.
rolleyes.gif

Is it possible to post without a racist comment or personal attack?

Just once... For meeeee? Please
rolleyes.gif

Prod the wolf, pay the price, I have teeth, I bite; you junkyard dog. Bark all you want.
W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!
Founding president and member number 1! Wana join?

I really have no idea what you are talking about.
Oh, I re read it. Cliff and I go way back.
He is not going to be offended. He doesn`t like the way things are either.
I had not heard that you were appointed to speak for him.
I don`t want to know you.
I am not going back to the seb forum.
I can see where I am not wanted.
I have all the info I need.
The sebs will speak for themselves.
Enjoy your subject status.

[This message has been edited by Warrior 11 (edited 02-18-2001).]

To the General

In your last post you accused Warrior II of making racist comments, which is a very strong statement.

If you make a statement like you did, why not explain more clearly what you mean? Why leave all of us wondering if you know what you are talking about?

Just in case you were referring to the term, "commie"

My opinion. A communist country is a highly restricted country. We are taught in America that communist countries control everything that a person reads, writes, eats, watches, talks about, wears, spends, etc. That is NOT a race or minority. It is an environment in which a human is born into and rarely escapes from unscathed. It is an environment that produces minds of low self esteem or self worth. It is a way of life for those trapped inside it. We are taught in America that it is sad to live that way.

I believe that the statement made by Warrior II, was one of pity and has nothing to do with racial attack.

remember, this is just my opinion.

Hey, this is a knife forum for people who love and collect knives.

Why attack a fellow member for such a small thing? I am especially surprised at YOU, because you have so many posts, and have gained somewhat of a higher level of respect in this community.

Be cool. Be sharp!

Recharge,
If the General appears rude to you, trust me. It's only because you don't see the whole picture yet. He's NOT at all out of line.

------------------
Tráceme no sin la razón, envoltura mi no sin honor

I do feel pity for those less fortunate than we are.
I also feel that they bring it on themselves, as we well might someday.
Republics have not lasted forever in the past.
Empires fall. People lack the moral fibre to sustain them eventually. They get fat,dumb and happy.
Just bring on the bread and circuses,free medics, whatever. Nothing is free and freedom darn sure isn`t. Somebody has to pay the price in blood.
They will trade freedom for false security because they don`t have the guts to take responsibility for their own actions of lack thereof. We pay cops; let them do it.
Almost half the voters voted to continue a Clinton/Gore administration.
That is scary.
It scares me.
When will they ever learn?

YEEEEEA HAR!

-This heas sliiim pickins and eye person-alley think that it would be funny if a certain warrior took a certain FNG and put it where the sun dont shine. And I dont mean Spookane Washington-

Now fa the topic at hand (eye only have one so bear with me) Automatic knives are around because people get fat,dumb and happy, such is life in a country where real vets are homeless on the street while trigger happy
lunatics complain about draft dodgers
who smoke pot and corrupt ballots in Florida,
for these people an automatic knife is about the only thing they can handle. Although now I ain't so sure.(I mean they managed to mess up corrupting the ballot count for cryin' aloud)

It is indeed a sad day in a democratic country when you can tell who's at fault.

------------------
one tyme i had me a hampster. little boger bitt mi. now i gut me a keychain.

Ken
No offense at all my friend.
To everyone else:
I would love to be able to carry ANY knife and not sweat anything about it,and I do agree with your way of thinking,I always believe this much for fact that when your guns and knives are outlawed and logged and numbered,the next step is to have a little guy in an orange and black armband goosestep to your front door and tell you what else you can't have.OTF's, side openers I guess are always going to be classified as"switchblades" which is sad in itself,and no one should have to worry about what I carry.I sure as hell would never use it in anger,self defense if I fully knew my life really depended on it,but utility is what they are for.Don't think I step in and out of bounds on knife laws,I just believe they suck and those who don't know sh*t are the ones making them.Auto's are here forever and shouldn't be an issue,neither should guns but WE WON'T GET THAT STARTED
biggrin.gif
.To all be safe and me personally I like the round hole for deployment,it's faster than an auto and legal.Please let's do everything we can to get them all legal.

It always saddens me when an American refers to Canada as a "commie" nation. Warrior (or whatever nick you are using when you read this), as somebody supposedly retired from the service, I wonder if you were calling Canada a "commie" nation when we were back dooring people from our military to yours and making/supplying a very large chunk of Americas supplies during Vietnam when very few other nations would help at all.

Walter (aka Suvorov, yeah it's a pinko nick and what.

Back