Why Busse Combat?

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
What got you interested in Busse Combat? What was the deciding factor that made you buy your first knife? Why do you still buy Busse out of all the choices available?

-Cliff

What got me interested? The ads, from very early on. It was different to see a custom maker run full page ads. The deciding factor?
Reviews on the toughness of the knives and the unique yet simple designs. Add Jerry's great attitude when I spoke with him on the phone and the rest is history.
I still buy Busse for 2 reasons, I still like the designs and at this point, I simply trust the folks making them.
Ten

I was looking for a big, angry knife...I saw an ad in an old blade mag (the one with a skeleton in a coffin holding a Steel Heart II), liked the design, and stumbled over here. Lurked on the forum for a while, realized soon thereafter that Busse Combat products posessed the quality and toughness I required, then finally I called Mr. Prisco and became a Busse owner...

The initial appeal was the design.
The deciding factor was the reputation.

The Steel.

I was looking for the ultimate knife steel in a big blade. I wanted the toughest, most durable, best edge holding large bowie type blade I could find. I wanted to be able to hack, chop, and even chunk the knife at will without fear of damage.

My decision to buy came after your reviews and torture testing and Andy Prisco coming on the scene. I read every thing I could find on the steel and waited until after Mike Tuber did his famous testing.

I now own four Busse Combat knives.

I saw a full page ad for Busse blades in SOF during 1995. At that stage, Al Gore did not yet get around to introducing www. access into South Africa and all I could do was look on. It looked like the no BS type blade I was looking for. Even Jerry himsel did not even have the words INFI on any brochure ......During 1996 I travelled to the USA via Singapore and New Zealand. I spoke to Jerry Busse himself every second day to make sure he was still going to the 1996 SOF show with a SH and a Mean Street ..... always patient and polite but I shudder to think what may have been his exact thoughts ..... but I picked up my knives .... now I have a few more and due to the untimely and persistant updates that Andy sends, my finances may never recover ..... in a nutshell or do you want the full version?

[This message has been edited by Aubrey (edited 10-30-2000).]

Plain and simple, it was the purported performance of these blades that got me interested initially. I appreciate a beautiful damascus, Sambar stag handled knife as much as the next guy, but there are certain applications where I value performance over all other criteria. Not having ever heard of Busse knives prior to becoming a BFC member, and having no access to these products locally, when it came time to consider my first purchase I had to take a leap of faith and rely on the opinions of fellow members I have come to respect here.
And now that I've experienced the performance first hand, I couldn't be happier. Combine this with the level of customer service consistently provided by Andy Prisco and it's a no brainer from which company I'll be making my hard use knife purchases.

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

I picked one up at a knife show and it became attached to my hand. So I was forced to purchase it and have it surgically removed. I like the guy in the coffin too.
wink.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

Why Busse:
1. On one forum I asked, if you could only have 1 or 2 knives, which ones would they be?
Most of the replys had a Busse as one of them, but I had never heard of Busse so I started lurking on the Busse forum.
2. Then I starding corresponding with Andy Prisco and was impressed with his attitude towards his customers. I bought a Basic#7 and was impressed so back to Andy and a deal was made for a BattleMistress E.
3. In the mean time I bought a "lean Mean Street" from Andy and it was impressive.
4. The simple designs, user friendleness, and sheer brute strength of the knife and material (the mystery of INFI also caught my interest).
5. The knife tests by you and others were impressive also.
6. Basically the simplicity of design, sheer strength of material and Andy Prisco= a Busse owner.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Ron,
Bremerton, Washington

[This message has been edited by muzzleup (edited 10-30-2000).]

early 90's, local gun show. Yellow banner...BUSSE.. Whats a BUSSE? Looked, felt, tried and was sold, bought a Badger Attack and Mean Street. Since then many of Jerry's creations have been added. Honest design, awesome capabilities, no bull guarantee. Don't change Jerry.

What got me to buy my first Busse was the Waranty. Never found a knife before with a waranty like that. Figured I couldn't go wrong. My first knife was a BM. I was pleased.

What made me buy every other damn model...
Andy and Jerry. Busse just has good people working behind it's products. And you can't find that everywhere. I truely feel I have made a friend in Andy and Jerry. And that is so cool. To look at your knife and say the guy that made this weapon is one of the nicest guys I ever met. You buy one Busse it's waranty, toughness, performance, and all that other stuff. It's the people that make you want your second.

Here is something from a different angle: Why I might buy a Battle Mistress E?

I remember when Cold Steel first advertised the Master Tanto. They shocked the establishment with their agressive advertising. I bought what I thought was the Master Tanto in Jo-berg for $60 (1983?) It travelled with me for six months. Two days back in Britain, I broke the knife, and in the process learnt two good lessons at once. Beware of shops with big glass front windows - they can see you coming; and you get what you pay for - so know your stuff. I then bought the real thing, $120, and its lived up to its hype with interest. It's my urban favourite, alas it struggles in the woods.

Busse has shouted its prowess, and looks as if its delivering. My best ever knife investment was a Chris Reeve Project, which I had researched thoroughly before. I've now followed Busse long enough to have confidence in their products.

There is a niche in my knife armoury which the BM might fill: a knife sized hard wood clever. I've tried a few Kukri type knives which do the job but do not match my European technique. The last I tried was an out of production Benchmade Bushmaster. It is now dinked badley in several places and now gathers dust. The Busse Battle Mistress E looks promising with its 9 1/2 inch blade.

The only things stopping me from buying one are: I have not handled one; no one imports them into the UK and if they did they would end up 25% more making nuclear tough on the pocket; production delays/scarcity makes it difficult to order with confidence if I was to pass the US, finally the £ has fallen 20 cents in the last few months.

In the mean time maybe the blade coating might be improved or even better I might win one in a forum competition. Pigs do fly.

Originally posted by Cliff Stamp:
What got you interested in Busse Combat?
Ironicaly enough, that was Cold Steel Riposte
wink.gif
I got curious, started searching & asking...

What was the deciding factor that made you buy your first knife?
Your review of the BM
smile.gif
Mega thanks for it
biggrin.gif

Why do you still buy Busse out of all the choices available?
I like them, perform well, though to be honest most of my knives are practically unused all the time. Unless I do some "testing"for entertainment, besides I kindda want to have something like a small collection
wink.gif

------------------
zvis.com
Have Fun,
Alligator

[This message has been edited by Gator97 (edited 10-30-2000).]

:
Cliff your reviews made me want to check into the Busse Combat Knives.
Although I liked the design of the
pre-E BM it didn't look comfortable to me. When I saw the pix of the new E-BM that sold me and I ordered one.

And then I had some dealings with Andy and Jerry personally and that convinced me that they do the same kind of business as Bill Martino of Himalayan Imports,ie, you will be satisfied!!
That's not an option with most knife manufacturers as you know.

As to buying more, I dunno. Depends on whether or not Busse keeps something like the MS when I get ready to buy. I would like my next one to be on the order of a smallish fixed blade.
------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

"I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

........unknown, to me anyway........

Khukuri FAQ
Himalayan Imports Website

[This message has been edited by Yvsa (edited 10-30-2000).]

Saw them at a couple gun shows in Columbus. Thought "Damn, that's a lot for a knife". And I didn't understand why they didn't bring anything to sell. Then I read some articles in American Survival Guide, esp Chris Janowsky's choice of the SH-II as one of the best knives to fit a boatload of criteria. That was 1996. Still couldn't mentally justify the cost. Read more, asked around, read more, then saw a set-up in Dayton. Checked out as few, fell in love with the SH after thinking I'd prefer the BM. It fit. Still, $$. Then, I met Dave R. at a show in southern Ohio. He took the time to talk to me, answer my questions, and basically show me why the price was a hell of a bargain. Guess it was Dave's guts to say, "..If you only can buy ONE KNIFE, THIS IS THE ONE". That kind of statement takes either true sincerity, or a ton of bull. So, I ordered my SH II, with the traditional handle. Dave was helpful as heck. Several week later, the Nuclear Gods delivered unto me my anxiously anticipated reward. Just trying to deal with the regret of not buying sooner.... For all of you who read these posts, do yourself a favor, buy the knife. You won't regret it.

------------------
Run and you only die tired....
The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.

What got me interested and the deciding factor to make me buy were the various reviews, including yours, Busse's reputation and the warranty.

Why do I still by Busse? Simple, these knives are the real deal! I don't have much leisure time and I don't want to spend what little I do have burdened with inferior gear. I want my knives to do what I need them to do when I need them to do it, period.

I ordered a BM-E in Jan 2000 mostly out of curiosity, not because I thought I needed that type of knife. I was introduced to the Forums by Dave R. and began accumulating more info. I now own a BA, MS and the BM-E and still have a BA-E on order. These knives do everything I want them to do and do it beyond my highest expectations. I rarely carry any of my other knives afield now. I tried to mix and match, but it didn't work. I stopped focusing on the task and started thinking about snapping a tip or denting an edge or scratching a handle, as before. When I use a Busse, none of that enters into my mind. They truly become an extention of my hand and exist only in the subconscious. Kooky, I know, but every traditional archer reading this will understand what I mean.

That is the highest compliment I can give. No other knife has earned it.

Rich

To date I have not yet purchased a Busse.

I have , for some time now, been very interested in Busse.
After researching and reading all that some of our fellow forumites have to say about them, I am ready to buy.

I came over to this forum (lurking) about a month ago and what I noticed right away was Andy & Jerry's personnal level of commitment to the customer. I was (and still am) very impressed with this.

I mean, how cool was it of Jerry to come over to the CS forum and welcome them??
cool.gif

(Unfortunately for CS...No reply...If my memory serves me right!!)
frown.gif

The product is #1 for me, but the customer service is right behind.

Hopefully I will make up my mind soon on which model to get, saved up enough money, and have gotten the wife's permission and then I can make that first step towards that "Nuclear" feeling.
biggrin.gif

--The Raptor--

I saw the skeleton in the coffin ad, and I thought that the knife in the ad was one of the coolest looking combat knives I had ever seen. So I bought a SH E and it is everything I expected. Very, very cool combat knife.

Got sucked in by the ad with the Steel Heart in SOF.

Bluntly, I was seduc...I like the spear point design and I wanted a 1/4" thick blade for my FB. The micarta slabs got some time to get used to but I got hooked.

M/INFI is a step above the A2, I need a hard steel that keeps shape because my sharpening skills suck. I eyeball it and try to follow the grind lines.

I decided I "needed" the ultimate knife and found the articles in several magazines and Ron Hoods article on the Battle Mistress along with the Ads and the forums convinced me, INFI was just out and like the potato chips "ya can't have just ONE" I originally ordered a SH and a BM. At this point on a personal level I keep saying after this model I'll quit...just one more... really...I can give them up any time I want...

Back