1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Why Choils?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by papercutter, May 8, 2019.

1. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    My Ratmandu in particular. With my Ratweiler and TGLB they are big enough that I normally just use them to either chop legs off or I will just use my other hand to apply pressure on the spine of the blade. Chopping wings off is sketchy. Always easier to set the blade where you want it and push through.

2. Jerry Busse

Jerry Busse Moderator Moderator

Aug 20, 1999
    JWB is definitely the cure for whatever ails you!!!:D

Let's Drink!!!:D

Jerry:D

Ironkid883 likes this.
  3. littlehoot

littlehoot Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2015
    I personally think a knife without a choil looks stupid.

But that's just me. If you don't like them, that's fine too.

4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    When I use my larger blades for caping in particular I always get my finger up into that choil, *I* feel it aids control and dexterity to movement. Sharpening is a no brainier. The boss has also spoken of the times when a choil and no-choil option has been made available and the lack of sales of the later vs the former. Like @littlehoot I think many knives without a choil look off to my eye.

5. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2013
    I agree. The only blades without choils that look right to me have a ricasso with a little sculpting to them. Kinds like how Buck does their fixed blade knives. And really, if you're going to do that you may as well just put a choil there.

Apocryphiliac and WatermanChris like this.
  6. hydeinmind

hydeinmind Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2015
    The choil is where the serrations are supposed to be! :eek:o_O ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

When sharpening a choiless knife over time, cant you just add a choil later if you want?

7. MacLaren1

MacLaren1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2014
    I've always liked the choils on a Busse.

8. papercutter

papercutter

Mar 6, 2016
    Thanks Boss! I will work on my "choking up" skillz since they are here to stay :rolleyes:. I cant wait to get my Alpha 6 and the Alpha 10 which I assume will be next because you are super smart ;). Alpha 10 just seems right.

WatermanChris likes this.
  9. tuica

tuica Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Wow. Lotsa words on choils. Will add, thought they were strange at first. Now with use, I appreciate Jerry’s genius in their invention. Now find non-choiless knives to be odd.

10. Pteronarcyd

Pteronarcyd

Feb 19, 2019
    Why do so many knife YouTube reviewers not know what a choil is?

11. Ryker

Ryker Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2015
    For me and my needs, actually using the choil to choke up depends on blade size. However, regardless of blade size, it definitely makes sharpening easier.

On a large chopper, I’m not likely to choke up. I could take it or leave it.

On a mid-size blade, it does help create leverage by essentially changing where the “fulcrum” is, so to speak.

On a smaller EDC size blade I’m not a fan. Mostly because I cut a lot of shrink wrap at work and it always seems to bunch up and get caught in a choil, even an elf choil. It’s a little thing but it gets a little annoying throughout the day.

Just my experience. In the end, whether or not there’s a choil has never stopped me from buying a Busse (or any other knife).

Apocryphiliac likes this.
  12. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998
    I lile choils on the larger blades, ie. Anything over 7 inches. Anything ynder 6.5 inches I would rather not have it.

hydeinmind, fielder, luethge and 5 others like this.
  13. MacLaren1

MacLaren1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2014
    Yes! I was gonna say, especially on the larger blades.

MR HAPPY, tuica and Cobalt like this.
  14. Ironkid883

Ironkid883 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 29, 2018
    the way i see it if you dont like choils dont buy em .they are perfect for choking up for fine detailing or other more control jobs .busse and kin all pretty much have em and talon hole .it makes them stand out to me personally cos its part of the brand and diff choil styles in each division i love em anyways

15. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    The choil turns myB11 from a brutal chopper into a fine ivory carver and wood featherer, the step up in controlability is unexpectedly huge.

16. knifeleather

knifeleather Sheathmaker Extraordinaire

Jul 14, 2012
    I prefer choils. In addition to the aforementioned benefits, a large choil makes it much easier to remove a knife when it's stuck in something (gives your finger something to wrap around when pulling) especially if the handle is fairly straight.

hydeinmind and WatermanChris like this.
  17. hydeinmind

hydeinmind Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2015
    The more options the better! ;):):thumbsup::thumbsup:

PeteyTwoPointOne likes this.
  18. Apocryphiliac

Apocryphiliac Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2017
    The choils are actually one of the things that brought me to Busse knives! I have always loved a (well-implemented) finger choil on medium-large knives. When I first started checking out the bacon, I thought, “this Gary Busse guy was not only great in Lethal Weapon, he also knows what makes a knife work.”

19. fielder

fielder

Jan 25, 2011
    I really don't like choils, more so on small and medium knives.
    I love my choil less Boss Jack.

20. nydude

nydude Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I don't do a lot of game processing, though I have done rabbits with a tankbuster. outside of that a choil has always been helpful. I'm so used to it now that blades I have, that don't have it like the fusion huck have become a little dangerous because I feel my finger creep above the talon. :(.