1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Why Choils?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by papercutter, May 8, 2019.

1. emanuel_mat

emanuel_mat

Sep 3, 2017
    That's only because your hand gets closer to the edge. If that knife had the edge going all the way to the handle and you would hold it by the said handle, you would have the same "controlability" and your hand would also thank you for better ergonomics. I do like sharpening choils/notches, but anything larger than 5mm seems like a marketing gimmick and waste of cutting edge just for the sake of "put your finger on that lip of metal instead of the handle" kind of stuff.... I hope what I said makes sense to others.

jux t and papercutter like this.
  2. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Gold Member Platinum Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2018
    The handle would have to have a deep finger groove closest to the blade to give me the same feeling I have with the choil. The Spyderco PM2 (my EDC) does a great job of combining handle contouring and ricasso/blade shaping to create IMO a perfect choil. Something similar on a Busse blade would be cool.
    Resizer_15577557537210.jpg

DamascusBowie likes this.
  3. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Its a different feeling than just choking up on the handle. It turns the end of the handle into a fuklcrum that is tightly and precisely controlled by my forefinger in the recess in the steel, ie the choil. Its a whole different feeling and grip imho. Believe me, Im not a fan of the choil for how it looks and shortens the blade, but its a tradeoff that's well worth it. When it comes to control, I want that choil grip every time.

WatermanChris likes this.
  4. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    That's not bad, but the beauty of the choil is it allows you to get closer to the middle of the blade, and the finger is locked in front to back.

WatermanChris likes this.
  5. emanuel_mat

emanuel_mat

Sep 3, 2017
    I understand where you're coming from. But there are ways to give the same effect without having your bare hand touch metal. For example, reduce the radius of the forward finger groove in order to bring the hand closer to the ricasso, and also bring the plunge line closer to the handle. Most classic saber grind bushcraft knives do it that way (some even remove the finger guard to bring the edge right next to your finger for maximum leverage when power-cutting, but I'm not a fan of that), the idea being that grabbing the handle will always allow you to put more power into your cut than holding a finger choil due to ergonomics. Bark River is a brand that does this for most of their survival/bushcraft models (I don't own or used any, I have a Choiless Anorexic Boss Street and some customs that fill all the roles I need atm). I'm I'm not saying a finger choil is bad, but there are ways around it, and some of these ways can make your knife more comfortable to use and improve performance and feel, particularly for long cutting tasks.

papercutter, gk4ever2 and jux t like this.
  6. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator

Jan 18, 2006
    Why not choils? I like 'em big enough for a finger, just feels more secure, "locked in" to my hand better. For arguements towards why not use a smaller knife? Sure! ...When you have one. If not, it helps to widen the range of usefulness on a larger knife. Just my opinion, usually I gripe when Jerry makes 'em too small lol :D

7. Cobalt

Cobalt Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 1998

I agree that a large finger choil is unnecessary on small knives, ie. 5" or less and arguable on 5-7.5" blades, I think that on anything 8 inch or larger it is necessary. The large finger choil doesn't just give more fine control, but it also changes the balance of the larger blade in your hand making it feel much smaller than it really is. You cannot make a large blade without a choil have the same control.

MR HAPPY likes this.