why did buck change

i like it okay. just prefer the shape of the original 112

i do love my 112 pro. been in my pocket everyday since december

For a long, long time a 482/450 blade swap in the 112 has been really popular..Because lots of folks like a stronger tip than the regular traditional clip. Bucks drop point varies quite a bit too with most of them with a high radius grind on a few that is really 'thick' and strong..First one was the 2013 Boone and Crockett 112/113 LE set. This new version is more of a spear point that to me is perfect for but splinter removal. I like the 'new' tip. It's strong but still good for detail work. Since few use a 110/112 for skinning out deer and other big game (lots of better Bucks for that) a spear/drop point makes more sense to me as a all around user.

Neither is anything like a spear point. A spear point both sides are symetrical, like a spear! The knighthawk pig sticker is a spear point and the drop point, nor the 482 blade look nothing like that!

I think this needs a diagram of blade shapes, nomenclature. I took this from Blades Guide To Knives, pg. 43. The blades above are both clip points. DM
Bladeshapes.jpg

I'm hoping that the Slims will be offered in more varieties. I would like a 112 Slim with the 112 Classic blade or a drop point. And while I'm at it, please leave out the nail nick.

^its early in the game on these models. we may see drop points, other steels or other variations as dealer exclusives or special runs. I expect skblade may at some point will do a special run. we get too many too fast it will water down bucks ability to sell enough volume to make business sense.

I kinda like the newer blade but I like the original as well. The lower grind on the newer blade is what I noticed first. I plan on getting one to try it. I usually avoid thumb studs as they seem to get in the way and that’s the main reason why I haven’t bought one yet but maybe I can remove the stud if it does bother me.

I like the slims blade profile and swedge. One thing about the traditional 110/112 clip point is that the tip is great for piercing and slicing but people forget that it's also its weak point. I bet Buck gets plenty of them with broken tips sent back for warranty repair each week. Heck, I have sent two back for that reason in the past 15 years. My guess is that the new swedge profile was designed to make that blade tip a little bit stronger. That means less get sent in for repair.

IMO a different blade shape equals different knife / model.
These are just too different, the 110 and 112 slim may have the same frame shape and be lockbacks but with the different blades there's really nothing left of the original model in them.
Call me crazy but I think these should have different model numbers, the blade shape looks fine but I just don't see the 110 or 112 in them.

Last edited:
From "Folding Hunter" to "Every Day Carry"...

Former is for hunting and it's nice to have a very lean tip for puncturing hides, latter is for more utilitarian use, so a slightly more robust tip for durability, perhaps?

Great debate! I too was taken back by the different blade shape. But it’s really grown on me. Slim 112 is still one of my favorite EDC’s and the one that i reach for in my pocket the most.

I think they did it because a lot of people break the tips off of the originals. Also, the people buying them are used to "tactical" knives that have thick tips and a more "tactical" look, so thats what they want. Frankly, I think they should have given these new knives a different model number. The knives bear no resemblance to the 110 or 112. They changed everything about them, except the model number. Lol

They changed it, it is called "slim". The handle profile is the same, so why not ride on the flagship name.

At the same time, I've often contemplated what should name the knife the blade or the handle. You can put multiple handles on the same blade and multiple blades in the same handle. So it just boils down to what the guy making it decides to name it.

Back