Why do people put lanyards on their knives?

whoever you were playing with was stupider than my dog . that just is'nt a useable technique even with the blades closed . when u hit something with little give it's gonna come right back at you. ever hear of physics. controlling a manriki is tough at times . much less a bladed knife not much bigger . i'd never attend a seminar with someone waveing that thing about. of course all i do is combatives. that may impress girls but it don't float. i'm trying to keep you from getting killed here for crying out loud. :eek: your trying to jerk someones chain :jerkit: with this stuff altho it is funny lol

You will first have to go through the Chinese tea ceremony before I take you on as a student if I even consider you for a student.

sounds like a so called ninja in little rock ar. i met years ago i walked in wearing a multinational peacekeeping force t shirt n a set of sweats . i watched a while ne he walked over a bit later n asked me what was happening i told him i would like to wait till after class then we could perhaps mix it up a little n see if he had anything he could teach me. he told me all he teaches are kiddys lol went out of business not too long after too . :thumbdn:

From explaining that I use a lanyarded knife defensively against multi-attack to giving my lifes history.

FYI a student must be invited to the "private in home" ceremony.

Master in both disciplines

rassle em after the tea ceremony . the cacas getting deeper

4 years in MA and you still call them "numchucks"? That's absurd. This is gone far enough. Numchucks ha. This is the level I am dealing with here? If no one here accepts that "Numchucks" is the street name than this site is hopeless. Nunchaku is illegal here unless you are carrying them to or from class.

Check this site! http://www.nunchaku.org/english/

& has carried them for years on the duty belt for crowd control . if you have a ccw they are'nt illegal also they the police must prove crimminal intent. i set precedence on that fact in 1976 when home on leave from army. :thumbdn:

O M G....... ok this is um.. well i don't really know anything much beyond army combatives but this knife flinging around on a lanyard buisness is just a tad over the top. how, no, why would you ever even try something like that?

oh nevermind. i don't wanna know. just forget i was even here.

please god don't put this one on my record lol . the guy with the flinging blade seems to be like the guy that was on the video on the net or maybe the one portrayed in the movie hollywood ninja hehe bad thing tho farley was much better lol:thumbup:

I once asked an instructor of mine about the purpose of a lanyard in a fighting situation and his response was"if you can't hold on to your weapon it might as well be your opponents"----nuff said

Alright First the handles: No Esav This is not a french twist if i can find a how-to or figure out how to post pictures i will do a demmo. Cougars pictures are just what i meant. its really simple.:rolleyes:

The technique on the strider web page is really cool and seems like it would have a better padded grip as well as a larger supply of chord in an emergency situation. I am going to try a variant of it with some nylon chord on a small knife i have.:thumbup:

As to Sog's "Spinning Sinanju Knife of Doom", I have found several pictures as well as the video Bladeprince showed us that do show a validity to lanyard knife techniques however these all seem to be practiced with large fixed blades and dont seem practical with folders so unless your EDC is A Battle Mistress. Its not a real practical "self Defense" form. :thumbdn: :p

I Can however see how the sight of a crazy mall ninja spinning an SAK over his head could make any sane person walk the other way. but i doubt it would stop a determined attacker.

I have to say Thanks to Sog And Oilman For making this Thread so much fun.

Wouldn't it just be easier to duct tape two SAK's to one of those little pocket fans? Then you turn it on and have a personally self defense saw. Or attach some lanyard, crank up the horse power on the fan and have a motorized circle of death. :thumbup: :D

Apparantly you have never had a multi-attack in defense of home and hearth as I have. It is a martial arts self defense technique I taught in a dojo.

And you used this type of defense?? indoors???.:eek:

I would love to see your cathedral ceilling, furnature/obstruction free home. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it just be easier to duct tape two SAK's to one of those little pocket fans?

Now for something way off track. Back in the 80's guitar hotshot Paul Gilbert ("Mr. Big") was known, among other things, for taping picks to the chuck of a cordless drill, and using it to "play" his guitar really really fast. Apparently there's a concert vid where he gets his long rockstar hair caught in the chuck and nearly scalps himself.

I'd pay to see someone do that with a swinging lanyarded knife :)

I doubt I'd have time to use my lanyard in a fight; I use it in the woods so I don't drop the thing. Mostly psychological assurance, I think... I've never dropped or thrown a knife in use, with or without a lanyard.

whoever you were playing with was stupider than my dog . that just is'nt a useable technique even with the blades closed . when u hit something with little give it's gonna come right back at you. ever hear of physics. controlling a manriki is tough at times . much less a bladed knife not much bigger . i'd never attend a seminar with someone waveing that thing about. of course all i do is combatives. that may impress girls but it don't float. i'm trying to keep you from getting killed here for crying out loud. :eek: your trying to jerk someones chain :jerkit: with this stuff altho it is funny lol

My comments were "tongue in cheek" so I guess I should have added a smiley face or two. I would never use a knife in that manner. My knife study is sort of a combination of Richared Ryan, Kelly Wordon, and Southnarc centered around a fast, aggressive offense. I want the knife in my hand, not spinning in the air. But first I'd get the hell out of the area if at all possible (lest I start another discussion). It was on some old SD tape I got years ago so I just thought I'd share it. I forgot I even had it until this lanyard thread started. I agree one would have to be crazy to use a knife in that fashion. I don't even like nunchucks. And if asked, I suspect that the guy doing the demonstration wouldn't use it either.

Regards

this guy does'nt know much about combat roflmao

Gotta love it when some ubernoob comes in here letting us all know how dumb we are. Please let us know about the 'real' combat you've seen while swinging your knife around your head.:jerkit:

To close an Extrema Ratio Nemisis :)

The Nemesis is a lockback folder that uses a "Cheese Grater" lock
release button.

To prevent destroying my thumb I use the lanyard to cover the
release button and mash the sandwitch with both thumbs ;(

ER-Lanyard.jpg

Jerry

Working on boats, I attach a lanyard to my pocket knife. Since the boat i'm on now is dangerous to have a free cord attached to your body, I spliced paracord to a spring clip, and spliced a loop in the end. I can clip it onto my oilskins and let the knife hang down inside. The splice is safer than knots so it does not hang up on something if it is adrift. Its easily accessable by tugging on the string, and if caught up, the splice will part off under a heavy strain. The clip makes it easy to remove from the strap of the oilskins. Plus, its bright orange, so I can't miss it. For my sheath knife, I made a turks head knot over the pommel, and tied the bitter ends together, making a pinky loop. not too long where it'll snag, and aids in the wuick removal of the knife. On my fillet knives, which are straight handled, guardless Dexter russel 5 inch boners (thats what it says on the box...get your mind out of the gutter!) I use the half hitch wrap described earlier. i use cotton seine twine, it shrinks when wet, and the wooden handle swells, making it tight. For slippery handled knives, if you so decide to put a wrap on one, use a piece of electrical tape or duct tape. keep the sticky side up, then put the wrap on it. that way the cord stays stuck to the handle. if you remove the cord, the handle won't be all sticky from the adhesive.

Back