why do we keep getting different spyderco police versions without the original blade

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by JeremiahWeaver09, Aug 22, 2020.

what version would you buy

1. full serrated

19 vote(s)
    38.8%
  2. plain edge

38 vote(s)
    77.6%
  3. combo

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    I'd scrape up the money for a sprint run of the original blade and G-10 or carbon fiber scales (solid carbon fiber). :)

For an engraving, "POLICE" like usual on the one side, and maybe "Honour and Integrity" or something like that on the reverse side.

Whatever the engraving ended up being, I'd buy one.
    Love that blade...grudgingly accept the stainless steel handle. ;)

Maybe blue G-10, being the Police model?
    Textured for sure. Probably medium coarseness.

For edge, with enough cash for one, I'd get full serrated.
    If I end up with cash for two, I'd get the plain edge as well, but full serrated is the iconic edge for the original blade style. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    ArchVV likes this.
  2. AndrewH60

AndrewH60 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2019
    Hi all, bit late to this but I had a Police model early on’90-‘91 ish but gifted it to the FIL, I’m interested in another one.
    If I was able to choose particulars for me personally it would be linered (of some sort) g10 in a plain edge original blade shape in a steel that I don’t have yet, ie. not VG10 S30V. I’d be happy with a relatively non stainless and I think just the original Police marking is sufficient.
    As far as the G10 texture goes I iwb my Manix 2 all the time and don’t have an issue with it, though something slightly smoother could be better if grip wasn’t compromised.
    Cheers all.

3. joeldworkin307

joeldworkin307 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Hard to know what I want in a police model as I haven't carried one in a long time. Decided to pick up an old SE Police in G-2 with the one position clip. I'll carry it for a week or two and let you all know what I like and what I miss.

BD_01 likes this.
  4. speedseeker

speedseeker Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Freaking love this ^ guy. Now, where's my wallet? I have knives to buy.

5. speedseeker

speedseeker Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2011
    OK so I'd certainly be in for a "Classic Police Model" As far as handle material goes a Dark Navy textured G10 seems like a good color. How about adding the Diamond Arc to it like on the S45Vn sprint run? Regarding steel, if it has to be a Seki steel I vote ZDP-189. If we can do an American Steel my vote is S90V...underrated...just like our men and women of law enforcement. On to the labels, how about "Police" on one side and "Protect and Serve" on the other?

6. E.D.C.

E.D.C. Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2016

I couldn't possibly disagree more. :D

7. loon#r

loon#r Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Will we get to see a proto/mockup? :D

8. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Loon#r,

Probably when we're close to production.

sal

jux t likes this.
  9. loon#r

loon#r Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Ha! Your time is appreciated.

10. David Nowlin

David Nowlin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Very late to the game, better late than never i always say. I have enjoyed reading all the comments. OP great thread.
    I like Black G10 with blue line.
    I’m a fan of VG10 and S30V(not all can afford the premium steels)
    I like both SE and PE so i voted for CE.
    If CE isn’t an option then SE is my choice.
    I know its not the moto but i like
    “To Serve and Protect”or just
    “Serve and Protect”
    This is cool thanks again for letting us be a part of it.
    DN

11. David Nowlin

Jan 17, 2018
    Sal,
    I just read your comment #37 on august 25th about the maker can no longer do a hollow grind? Does that imply that the police models currently in stock with the hollow grinds will be gone when they are sold out?
    I like full flat grind as well but the hollow grind is more to the original knife and is the one i would want first! Thanks
    DN

12. Sal Glesser

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi David,

We're not sure. We're getting mixed signals so we'll need to learn more. H1 has to be hollow ground and we're still getting them?

sal

13. David Nowlin

Jan 17, 2018
    Sal,
    Thanks for the quick reply. Your comment was one that entered my mind then i guess it took a little while for it to be sink in to how it might affect a future purchase. So many times i read how collectors miss out on a model because they hesitate. I know I personally have. I will keep researching and will continue to enjoy this hobby.
    DN

14. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Is the Salt series done by the same maker as the Police? After all, saber grind and hollow grind are neither synonymous nor mutually exclusive. Going through my collection, I seem to have almost as many flat saber grind as hollow saber grind

15. Sal Glesser

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Jack,

Changes are often the result of a piece of equipment is gone or a vendor stops, etc. It's a more flexible industry, though it seems stable. The stability comes from the constant adjusting that the companies have to do to be consistent.

sal

David Nowlin likes this.
  16. Eversion

Eversion Making Ti things pretty! Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Apr 9, 2020
    As with others, I'm late to the party here lol. Just pre-ordered my first Police, the K390 blue lightweight version. Whenever this retro project comes to fruition, I'll get one of those too.

I must say, Sal, your dedication to the craft and the community is awe inspiring like usual. The knife world is lucky indeed!

David Nowlin and jux t like this.
  17. SharpBits

SharpBits

Apr 26, 2002
    Haven’t posted here in ages.
    I would be in for at least one as I have to support the return to something other than FFG.
    Is the term “Peace Officer” passé these days? It implies to me keeping to the spirit of the law rather than rigid enforcement of the law.

joeldworkin307 likes this.
  18. Sal Glesser

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Eversion,

Thanx much for the kind words, we try.

Hey Sharpbits,

We've got the design off to the maker and we're waiting for a response.

Hi Jack,

it has been inconsistent. One machine breaks.....one machine is fixed.

sal

Eversion likes this.
  19. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Thanks. I needed more undocumented variations to look for.:confused::D