Why does no one talk about the Lil Native?

I recently was looking for a small and lighter knife to carry because most days lately the EDC needs amounts to cutting tape to open Amazon packages and carrying a 3.5-4.0” blade knife just becoming a chore. So I ordered a CRK Small Inkosi, a Techno 2, and a Lil Native to try out some ~2.5” blades.

Don’t you know the Lil Native won me over! I’ve never been a fan of sub 3” blades but this is a killer little knife.

Most small knives you struggle to open them right handed and you can just forget left handed. (I’m right handed but it’s nice being able to open with either hand.)

The Small Inkosi has teeny thumbstuds that are very hard to open right handed and impossible left handed. The Techno 2 was great right handed but the lock bar blocked the opening hole for left handed. Meanwhile the Lil Native surprised the heck out of me it flicks open super easy both hands and operates just as easy as a large knife for me.

The Lil Native also gives you a huge grip, I can really manhandle this tiny knife with the choil it’s a full 4 fingers grip while the other 2 were 3 fingers at best. And the compression lock is awesome I have zero play in mine, and the knife is super light weight and carries like nothing in the pocket.

I loved the Lil Native so much it up sold me onto finally trying a Shaman a couple weeks ago. We all know how awesome the the Shaman is but I feel like a lot of guys missing out on his little brother. I have a bunch of knives but could easily whittle my whole collection down to these 2 knives which pair perfectly and are really easy to rotate between, and by that I mean because the operation of both is identical with their easy to access spydie holes and compression locks. They are equally comfortable to hold and easy to operate, no matter which one I’m carrying.

Last edited:
When a lock back Lil Native shows up, I will buy one. S30V is fine, SE is fine.
I would also buy a Shaman, but I don't like compression locks, would prefer a CBBL.
I really wish though, a 3.5", mid-sized Native gets released.

I would like a mini Shaman, something between the Lil Native and the Shaman in size with a compression lock. Like 3” blade shaman and personally I love the compression lock!

native 5 is the in between of the lil native and shaman. I'd have to agree with the op, use my lil native every day, great watch pocket knife

native 5 is the in between of the lil native and shaman. I'd have to agree with the op, use my lil native every day, great watch pocket knife
Native 5 is the in between in length but not build, I would like a native 5 sized knife with a .156” thick FFG blade and compression lock to make it a mini shaman. I had a native but it’s blade kind of feels dainty compared to the Shaman. I guess a native 5 Fatty would be what I want, if you know Hinderers lol

I'm waiting on that slippy lil native, just due to local legislation. It looks like a fantastic size, and to be honest if I was almost anywhere else, I'd already have grabbed the compression version, but since "pen knives" are easier to carry where I am, I'm waiting for the slippy, since any of my "lawful excuse" knives are larger, due to their "excuse".

Any comments on the Lil Native vs. the Dragonfly?

I have a Dragonfly and love it - probably my most carried knife overall. If I'm wearing lightweight shorts I'll carry it solo; if wearing jeans I'll carry it along with something larger.

I keep getting a bit of interest in the Lil Native, but always end up thinking it would be too thick, both the blade stock (less slicey?) and the handle. It seems too fat to drop loose in the pocket, but also too small to use the clip. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of using a clip with G-10 due to the pocket-shredding issue.

I'm interested in the dragonfly vs Lil' Native too. For me the dragonfly is the perfect EDC but the lil' Native seems like it has a lot of fans. I'd appreciate a compare/contrast if someone knows

I like the lil Native but I think it probably gets lost in the shuffle due to a few factors. First, things like the Para 3 and the Sage 5 exist in a similar price range and give you more blade. People like myself with larger hands and no blade length restrictions where we live don't tend to jump for something like that. Second, smaller lockbacks in Spyderco's lineup seem to have gotten the sprint run treatment as regards to steel more often. For those looking for a dedicated small knife, a Dragonfly/Delica/Chapparal can be had in various steels whereas the lil Native continues to get passed over for those looking for more punch than S30v.

I'm a really big fan of the Lil' Native. It packs a wallop for such a small knife. I have yet to find a cutting job it can't handle in the warehouse I work at.

I think the front flipper mod really takes it to the next level.

I'm a really big fan of the Lil' Native. It packs a wallop for such a small knife. I have yet to find a cutting job it can't handle in the warehouse I work at.

I think the front flipper mod really takes it to the next level.

Woah that’s cool. I’m gonna have to do that to mine, perfect project for my belt sander lol

The comparison I like is between the lil native and the Chaparall. The Dragonfly has that big choil and has a much smaller blade edge.

The lil Native is a thick knife. Sturdy, the compression lock is rock solid, but on mine, the compression lock is just in the wrong spot and the blade bounces off my finger tip when closing it (in the flicking that I tend to do). For a knife this size, there are a lot of options and if you want a heavy duty knife that is short, go for it. When I want a heavy duty knife, I want something with a blade that is closer to 3 or 3.5 inches.

A backlock Lil' Native might be the ticket for me but I end up with a Dragonfly ZDP or Chaparral rubberbanded with my cash and cards (moneyclip light). so when I carry a second knife I want something a bit different.

Since I asked about the Lil Native vs. the Dragonfly, I'll post that I actually got a chance to handle a Lil Native in person at a local Cabela's this past Saturday. I was a bit surprised they had one there.

In short, it was really nice in-hand, very comfortable. The additional thickness over the Dragonfly made it more hand-filling, which is nice. I'm not sure what I think about the thicker bladestock. I generally like slicey blades more than beefy, but beefy has its purpose. I also noticed the issue of the blade bouncing off my finger on the close.

In the pocket though, I'm not sure. It's a bit thick and heavy to carry loose in the pocket; but I'm also not a big fan of clipping grippy G-10 in the pocket either. So, while I like it in the hand quite a bit, I'm not sure how I feel about it in the pocket.

I would just grab a Chaparral lightweight and not look back. Or in slightly larger knife (Para3 or Sage 5) if you want a spyderco.

I've been carrying a Benchmade Propper (slipjoin) recently and a bugout would probably also do well. The thinner (non-leaf shaped) knives seem to fit in my pocket better and I have decided I don't need the one-hand opening for my EDC needs right now.

The Lil' Native is my favorite Spyderco. You really only need about 2" for most tasks. I hope they do more sprint runs and dealer exclusives.

I went with the Chaparral, and recently picked up a DF2 Salt SE (there is no Salt SE Lil Native). Removed the pocket clip from the Chap for bottom of the pocket carry and replaced with it the pocket clip on the Dragonfly (the DF2 clip is to small IMO). Made leather slips for all of them, so they are protected and I am happy.
I value the blade geometry, the steel, the handle materials and the steel liners on the Chap too much, but the Lil Native would otherwise be my second choice and the Dragonfly would be my third, but only if we don't count the Tattoo.

My daily carry at work is a Rex45 Lil' Native, clipless in the pocket. A super nice knife in a very useful size. Some spots of patina on the blade after a a hot and sweaty summer, but that's allright. The steel takes a great edge and is quick to touch up.

Since I asked about the Lil Native vs. the Dragonfly, I'll post that I actually got a chance to handle a Lil Native in person at a local Cabela's this past Saturday. I was a bit surprised they had one there.

In short, it was really nice in-hand, very comfortable. The additional thickness over the Dragonfly made it more hand-filling, which is nice. I'm not sure what I think about the thicker bladestock. I generally like slicey blades more than beefy, but beefy has its purpose. I also noticed the issue of the blade bouncing off my finger on the close.

In the pocket though, I'm not sure. It's a bit thick and heavy to carry loose in the pocket; but I'm also not a big fan of clipping grippy G-10 in the pocket either. So, while I like it in the hand quite a bit, I'm not sure how I feel about it in the pocket.
If they made a lighter linerless FRN version, do you think it would be a better choice?

Back