Why I bought a Northridge grinder

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
Just like the title says. ;)

It's no secret that I experienced quite a few issues with my previous grinder. Nothing short of appalling customer service from that manufacturer, and that combined with having to troubleshoot and attempt to correct all the things wrong with that machine on my own, I became a rather discerning buyer for the next - and, hopefully LAST - grinder.

I did everything I could to get trigger time behind as many machines as I could, visiting shops all over hell and high water, and concluded for MY purposes, in a shop that doesn't have enough real estate (or money!) to afford multiple machines, that this is the right answer.

This likely won't help the beginner, as it's not an essay on how to save money, or do things without diving in headfirst, or nickel-and-diming every last detail to try to save expense. This machine, I'd say, already assumes you have a pretty good idea of what you're doing, or perhaps what you're looking for - or, maybe you're the type of person that has mentally committed to the craft, and doesn't want to spend their money twice (or, in my case, three times).

Lots of machines out there, right now. Some of them are pretty darn good. By my estimation, none of them are as good as this Northridge.

Hope this helps some of you in your decision making.

Northridge's website is found at: Northridge Tool

Just like the title says. ;)

It's no secret that I experienced quite a few issues with my previous grinder. Nothing short of appalling customer service from that manufacturer, and that combined with having to troubleshoot and attempt to correct all the things wrong with that machine on my own, I became a rather discerning buyer for the next - and, hopefully LAST - grinder.

I did everything I could to get trigger time behind as many machines as I could, visiting shops all over hell and high water, and concluded for MY purposes, in a shop that doesn't have enough real estate (or money!) to afford multiple machines, that this is the right answer.

This likely won't help the beginner, as it's not an essay on how to save money, or do things without diving in headfirst, or nickel-and-diming every last detail to try to save expense. This machine, I'd say, already assumes you have a pretty good idea of what you're doing, or perhaps what you're looking for - or, maybe you're the type of person that has mentally committed to the craft, and doesn't want to spend their money twice (or, in my case, three times).

Lots of machines out there, right now. Some of them are pretty darn good. By my estimation, none of them are as good as this Northridge.

Hope this helps some of you in your decision making.

Northridge's website is found at: Northridge Tool

This would be my purchase if buying a turn key grinder.

I completely understand the frustration of paying to keep old equipment working. I’d like to think I’m mentally maturing out of that phase myself, just waiting for my wallet to get up to speed too! :D

Northridge definitely has a well designed machine, and if I ever buy instead of build, they’re who I’d go with for sure.

Hey bud, without ruining your observation because it can be that way, with some stuff, my second grinder was bad right out of the box. I wasn’t ‘maintaining’ anything, I was correcting mistakes that came directly from the manufacturer.

Just want to make sure of that clarification. Things break - that I get. But to have tremendous vibration issues from the very moment the machine is turned on, and then not receive ANY help from the manufacturer??? No effin way, man.

That’s why the new machine is a Northridge. Not dealing with that sort of horseshit again.

good vid! Northridge is high on my list for a second grinder. Got a Tw90 right now and have loved it, but he hasnt really been innovating much the last 5+ years. while a lot of other grinders are starting to pass it by with features and attachments this just doesn't have. Plan was to pull the trigger on a Northridge later this year, but now im torn as that new Iron Creek grinder is pretty awesome looking as well. Def will be one of those two though for my next.

And yeah, you couldnt pay me to take a grinder from the company you had so many problems with. I've used many of them, never really thought they were all that great, DIY quality is how i would rate them.

Hey cool vid, I had actually just called Northridge last week and am currently awaiting mine. Its been 7 years now using my home made no weld grinder and I was just sick of fighting it. Last year I upgraded the motor to direct drive and a VFD from a step pulley and while a great improvement...I was still fighting tracking and wheel issues. Maybe even more so....I am excited to fire up this northridge and find another purpose for my current motor and VFD...maybe a vertical disc set up....
I have been researching grinders for several years along with you all on here and all i can say was a quick phone call to northridge and that pretty much sealed the deal.

good vid! Northridge is high on my list for a second grinder. Got a Tw90 right now and have loved it, but he hasnt really been innovating much the last 5+ years. while a lot of other grinders are starting to pass it by with features and attachments this just doesn't have. Plan was to pull the trigger on a Northridge later this year, but now im torn as that new Iron Creek grinder is pretty awesome looking as well. Def will be one of those two though for my next.

And yeah, you couldnt pay me to take a grinder from the company you had so many problems with. I've used many of them, never really thought they were all that great, DIY quality is how i would rate them.

I’m not sure I can follow your logic, on this, but I guess we all see differently. Your TW90 is an exceptional grinder. Nothing about the Iron Creek machine impresses me. To each their own!

Hey cool vid, I had actually just called Northridge last week and am currently awaiting mine. Its been 7 years now using my home made no weld grinder and I was just sick of fighting it. Last year I upgraded the motor to direct drive and a VFD from a step pulley and while a great improvement...I was still fighting tracking and wheel issues. Maybe even more so....I am excited to fire up this northridge and find another purpose for my current motor and VFD...maybe a vertical disc set up....
I have been researching grinders for several years along with you all on here and all i can say was a quick phone call to northridge and that pretty much sealed the deal.

Tim, I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts upon receiving it.

Good stuff Matt - tracking looks rock solid -now let's see some videos of you making knives with it :D

what are the biggest differences you notice when actually grinding as compared to setup and things like that?

Bill

Good stuff Matt - tracking looks rock solid -now let's see some videos of you making knives with it :D

what are the biggest differences you notice when actually grinding as compared to setup and things like that?

Bill

Thanks, Bill - I can give you a perfect anecdotal example. I just rough ground one of my aikuchi style blades, in Crucible CPM-S45vn. Happened quickly, and I noticed that, but it was what I didn't notice during grinding that struck me, afterwards - I wasn't fighting for it. It just happened. No chasing things, no bizarre belt motions or vibrations, etc.

Sounds like it wouldn't be a big deal, until you realize what just happened, and then it's "oh, man. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS" :D

As a rocket surgeon I'd have to agree 100% with your assessment. :D

In all seriousness, I appreciate your insistence on precision. It shows in the knives you make! Why wouldn't we expect that our equipment manufacturers have the same passion? Especially with the kind of money you have to plunk down to purchase these machines.

I've had my Northridge for a couple of years now and would agree it's a rock solid machine. The tracking is great and there's very little vibration. There's plenty of power with the 2HP/direct drive arrangement.
My only two criticisms would be 1) it took about a year to get one. I ordered mine in Sept 2017 and didn't receive it until mid 2018. I think that was when they were undergoing a change in their production process so this may not be the case now. 2) The tool arm knob didn't always tighten enough. I solved that problem by using an allen wrench to allow for more torque.
It's a great machine overall and I would buy another one if need be.

Mine isn't as pretty as yours Matt haha.

RE88Eerl.jpg

Man thats smooth :thumbsup:
Its amazing how much things have changed in the last 10 years with grinders , 10 years ago most people were recommending the grinder that today not many people speak highly of

As a rocket surgeon I'd have to agree 100% with your assessment. :D

In all seriousness, I appreciate your insistence on precision. It shows in the knives you make! Why wouldn't we expect that our equipment manufacturers have the same passion? Especially with the kind of money you have to plunk down to purchase these machines.

I've had my Northridge for a couple of years now and would agree it's a rock solid machine. The tracking is great and there's very little vibration. There's plenty of power with the 2HP/direct drive arrangement.
My only two criticisms would be 1) it took about a year to get one. I ordered mine in Sept 2017 and didn't receive it until mid 2018. I think that was when they were undergoing a change in their production process so this may not be the case now. 2) The tool arm knob didn't always tighten enough. I solved that problem by using an allen wrench to allow for more torque.
It's a great machine overall and I would buy another one if need be.

Mine isn't as pretty as yours Matt haha.

RE88Eerl.jpg

My arms lock up dead solid, but I wonder if that’s one of the differences between the ratchet tensioning system and the gas strut like your’s. Perhaps there’s less force being applied to the belt because of how I’m tensioning it??

When I picked my machine up, George asked me if I wanted the standard knobs, like you have, or spring-loaded adjustable handles - I put those on my last machine, because the handles were always in the way, otherwise. Bet they’d let you apply more force, that way...

Man thats smooth :thumbsup:
Its amazing how much things have changed in the last 10 years with grinders , 10 years ago most people were recommending the grinder that today not many people speak highly of

I wonder something else - I wonder how many of those guys watched my video and threw a machinist square against their machines to check.

I wonder how many of their wheels are worn out of round.

I wonder how many of them actually manage to track properly without shitloads of counter-tracking dialed into their tracking wheel.

The video I posted is actually the second one that I made.

The first one was scrapped, because it was too long, and it was less about why Northridge makes a great machine and more a demonstration of why all of this is important, with examples from my bad machine. I took the time to take the platens apart, and swept each piece with a dial test indicator while it sat on my granite surface plate, to show just how distorted things were, or light gaps showing wheel axles with 2° or more out of square, with each one actually leaning in an opposing direction to the other (think about that for a second - that means EACH WHEEL in the chain is acting as a tracking wheel, each one creating forces that inherently fights the others for control), or how the tracking wheel and drive pulleys come with crowns so steep (because they won’t track a belt properly, otherwise) that they look like roof pitches.

Most guys don’t even know to look for this stuff. They spend a lot of money on a tool because their buddies say it’s a great machine, or that guy on TV uses one, etc, etc. Neither your buddies nor that dude on TV are going to help you fix your shit when the time comes.

After my friend Joe made the direct drive conversion parts for my machine, and he started offering them to other guys - that’s when I got the chance to see how many people had similar issues with their grinders to my own. He sold a LOT of those kits.

Ask questions, gang. This stuff is big money - get what you’re paying for!

The video I posted is actually the second one that I made.

The first one was scrapped, because it was too long, and it was less about why Northridge makes a great machine and more a demonstration of why all of this is important, with examples from my bad machine. I took the time to take the platens apart, and swept each piece with a dial test indicator while it sat on my granite surface plate, to show just how distorted things were, or light gaps showing wheel axles with 2° or more out of square, with each one actually leaning in an opposing direction to the other (think about that for a second - that means EACH WHEEL in the chain is acting as a tracking wheel, each one creating forces that inherently fights the others for control), or how the tracking wheel and drive pulleys come with crowns so steep (because they won’t track a belt properly, otherwise) that they look like roof pitches.

I'd watch that.

Back