Why no military / combat knife forum?

I'm sure it's probably been asked several times but...why not? It would also be nice to see a military / combat knife thread in the individual sales section of the knife exchange.

Just a trial balloon :cool:

Because there's really nothing that makes them different than any other fixed blade, and because many companies who make them already have their own sections.
Why not just start a thread about it.

The question of modern military and Government service issued knives comes up every so often. One common theme is the nature of actual issue knives, with the exception of special commissions (such as a small unit having a special run made by a specific maker) most knives issued are commercial off the shelf models ranging from mid-size fixed blades to multi-tools.

Over a 21 year Navy career I have been issued many knives and tools and they all have one thing in common, they are the easiest to procure, mass-produced items out there. Benchmade, Emerson, SOG and Gerber for the most part.

Also note that very few units issue fixed blade knives regularly. More often it is a folder and/or a multi-tool.

I can't believe that the name "Jack_Burton" was still available! "You know what Jack Burton says in a time like this? Ol' Jack always says... 'What the Hell...'"

Jack Burton: Like I told my last wife, I says, “Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it’s all in the reflexes.”

Jack Burton: Just remember what ol’ Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol’ storm right square in the eye and he says, “Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it.

Go prac tac, I guess.

The knife you fight with (last resort) is the one you have in your hand.

There should definitely be a combat knife forum (meaning mainly a soldier's knife that is at least capable of fighting), focussed on the knives themselves, their history and their design. And I don't mean strictly issue knives, since so many are private purchase...

Prac Tac is mostly about defense/fighting, and who thinks they know best about that... Since the actual experience of knife fighting is, shall we say, rather limited, a forum more oriented towards the military-carried knives themselves would be welcome...

Gaston

There should definitely be a combat knife forum (meaning mainly a soldier's knife that is at least capable of fighting), focussed on the knives themselves, their history and their design. And I don't mean strictly issue knives, since so many are private purchase...

Prac Tac is mostly about defense/fighting, and who thinks they know best about that... Since the actual experience of knife fighting is, shall we say, rather limited, a forum more oriented towards the military-carried knives themselves would be welcome...

Gaston

If you're an old soldier then give us your opinion on what a good fighting or combat knife would and should be. Most old soldiers here carried some sort of multi-tool and a folder and neither to my mind make all that great of a fighting knife.

I'm an old soldier that runs rages for some of Americas elite soldiers and while some carry "fighting" knives most have a folder or small fixed blade just tucked in somewhere.

Last edited:

Gaston

Aren't all knives capable of being used to fight? And aren't the vast majority of military carried knives things like Gerbers from the PX and Leathermans?

So are those going to be included in this proposed forum also?

Are hollow-handled Rambo knives going to be included as well, even though they are rarely if ever military carried?

The question of modern military and Government service issued knives comes up every so often. One common theme is the nature of actual issue knives, with the exception of special commissions (such as a small unit having a special run made by a specific maker) most knives issued are commercial off the shelf models ranging from mid-size fixed blades to multi-tools.

An argument could be made for something devoted to "historical" knives originally commissioned and issued by governments for their armed services.

Because there's really nothing that makes them different than any other fixed blade, and because many companies who make them already have their own sections.
Why not just start a thread about it.

Go prac tac, I guess.

The knife you fight with (last resort) is the one you have in your hand.

Gaston

Hey guys, he's asking why there's no subforum for these kind of knives in the Exchange, not in the discussion forums.

I'm sure it's probably been asked several times but...why not? It would also be nice to see a military / combat knife thread in the individual sales section of the knife exchange.

Just a trial balloon :cool:

My answer to that is simple: all military/combat knives fit into the categories already set up in the Exchange, thus making this kind of sub-forum unnecessary.

Hey guys, he's asking why there's no subforum for these kind of knives in the Exchange, not in the discussion forums.

My answer to that is simple: all military/combat knives fit into the categories already set up in the Exchange, thus making this kind of sub-forum unnecessary.
I see it as he is asking for both. An exchange category is completely unnecessary. A discussion forum could be fun but I can easily see it turning into prac tac filled with wanna be Rambo mall ninjas. It would need some very restrictive rules and constant moderation to be of any value for the intended purpose.

You guys....oh, stop.
chuNu6b.gif

Back