Why no military / combat knife forum?

The knife was introduced to the public by Western in 1964. It always had the stock number of W49. The first three variations of the knife were marked BOWIE somewhere on the knife, a departure from Western's normal practice with their fixed blade knives. Sometime in the late sixties the BOWIE was no longer stamped on the knife and replaced with the stock number, this was more consistent with what Western had been doing with their fixed blade knives since the early 1950's. I can see where some would differentiate the BOWIE marked knives from the W49 marked knives, but they were always stock number W49 too.

There should definitely be a combat knife forum (meaning mainly a soldier's knife that is at least capable of fighting), focussed on the knives themselves, their history and their design. And I don't mean strictly issue knives, since so many are private purchase...
Waste of band width. Any knife that is used can be a combat knife. Any.

I see it as he is asking for both. An exchange category is completely unnecessary. A discussion forum could be fun but I can easily see it turning into prac tac filled with wanna be Rambo mall ninjas. It would need some very restrictive rules and constant moderation to be of any value for the intended purpose.
Yep. There is already a Tactical Forum. It does not appear to be highly visited. Again... waste of band width for a redundant forum.

The similarity between extreme sports, sex and the use of knives in combat is that their practitioners are always very close to changing the world's population by 1.

I seen a 1st lieutenant walking around with a Randall on his hip in Kuwait in 95, I talked to him briefly about it.
When someone showed up to a formation before a field op with a "Rambo" fixed blade on his ruck or hip the powers to be would tell him to put it in his room and they never wanted to see it again.
My point is what we "think" and what actually people carry or do not carry differs.
The nostalgia in me wants to think every marine carries a kabar, every ranger a tomahawk, and every SEAL a ludt or something cool.
I'd like to have a dollar for every knife that was used to cut open a c ration or MRE (especially in low light) and then left laying on the ground when it was time to move out. I carried a spyderco worker iwb served me well. An etool at 90 degrees was a wicked cutting tool, maybe we should have a forum on them haha.

While I agree that every knife can be a combat weapon, a purposefully combat design knife has to have one very important feature. That feature is a pronounced guard, the main use is to prevent your hand to slip onto the blade. If the guard is big enough to provide extended hand protection, it's even better.

Also, it would be interesting to hear about bayonets, many were used as knives when not attached to the rifles.

Back