1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Dec 14 !

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Dec 15 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Why Spyderco?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by RealVendetta, Nov 7, 2019.

1. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    In the past, there have been some Spyderco knives I didn’t like for various reasons (Michael Walker LWT, Pro-Venator), but those are long gone. Also, Spyderco’s knives have evolved a LOT since the Gin-1 days. I own more Spydercos than any other knife brand, except possibly Victorinox.

That said, there are so many choices if you’re interested in trying a Spyderco out now, it’s a bit difficult recommending one specific model. Shaman is good (though I don’t own one at the moment). Manix 2 FFG is excellent and feels like a tank, though it may take some getting used to closing at first, unless you’re familiar with ball bearing locks or BM axis locks. Ritually all of my Spydercos now are buttery smooth, and I could easily flick most of them but don’t, as IMO, flicking a folder (any folder) can loosen its tolerances over time.

Jim

2. RealVendetta

RealVendetta Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Welp I found a good deal on a Manix 2 XL here on the exchange. That exchange is gonna get me in trouble. Excited to try it out. Any recommendations on a deep carry clip?

3. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    MXG Gear is the ticket. :thumbsup:

4. RealVendetta

Sep 30, 2019
    Nice. Got one on the way.

on_the_edge likes this.
  5. cistercian

cistercian Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2015
    I like my Manix 2XL and it is my emergency car knife. Big and sturdy it is ready
    for cutting hoses or other unforeseen chores. I find it too jimpalicious for constant use
    and favor the manix 2 over it for that. My old Enduras were great for cutting hoses too.
    I love the comp lock and have Para 2s, A Shaman, a Lil Native, and a Kapara.
    I highly recommend all of them. The Lil Native is my work EDC and I will be using my
    new Kapara this week at work.
    Spyderco knives have superior ergonomics and unlike some Glocks with poorly supported
    case heads will never explode.
    I prefer the Sig P226...the Anti-Glock. It has lots of parts. And a metal frame. It is
    not easy to fully disassemble...and it is ready to go out of the box.

Glocks work fine actually...I just hate them. The bic lighter of guns.

1911s are epic BTW. EPIC.

nephron and Shmackey like this.
  6. RealVendetta

Sep 30, 2019
    I prefer the 226 too. And 1911s. But I dont hate my Glock 17. It has a certain utilitarian appeal.

nephron likes this.
  7. 5-by-5

5-by-5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2016
    1911's suck beans. Mostly because the straight frame bites into my palm. 1911 is for those with dainty hands.
    I can buy an insert that bellies out the back strap more like a Beretta, but why pay all that ridiculous money? When I would prefer a Beretta.

I've wanted one hand open Spydies since 1980. I'm imprinted now.

[​IMG]

ferider likes this.
  8. RealVendetta

Sep 30, 2019
    Got my Manix 2 XL today and let me just say... WOW. Outstanding knife. Beautiful finish and an outstanding factory edge. Super fidgety with the spydie flick and ball bearing lock. Big and beefy. The g10 is the perfect amount of grippy and the handle fits my hand like a glove. Consider me a convert. Now to find a PM2. And a Shaman. And a regular size Manix 2. And...

marcus52AR, uncle willie and Shmackey like this.
  9. Cursum Perficio

Cursum Perficio Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 27, 2012
    OP, good score on the XL. To me, it really needs that deep carry clip.

Ergonomically, these are my favorite designs.

[​IMG]

nephron likes this.
  10. RealVendetta

Sep 30, 2019
    [​IMG]

Heres a pic. Very happy. Love the clip too.

uncle willie likes this.
  11. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    The Manix 2XL is one of the knives that got me started "collecting" knives as a hobby.

Saw/bought one "like new" but w/o a box at a gun show for $100 cash over a year ago. Did some quick Googling while there and its seemed like a "fair" price then and still does now. Bought a NIB regular Manix to pair w/it. Both have been sitting in my gun safe in a knife case for a long time.

Haven't thought about them much since I bought them but, now that I think about it, seems like a good time to carry the XL for a bit. :)

12. RealVendetta

Sep 30, 2019
    I carried it for the first time tonight. Very pocketable and comfortable for its size. Really cant find a bad thing to say about it.

13. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Well, while you certainly can pocket at XL, at 2" wide closed, it's not exactly a compact carry and it barely fits in my right front pocket where I also keep a Taxi wallet.

That said, I like the polished clip (so that I don't have to worry about any clip wear) and I had forgotten how nice it is to "flick" it open using the lock release technique w/the axis lock; a little easier to do than when using that technique w/a compression lock. Locks up perfectly almost everytime; miss the lockup w/compression blades more often - it's timing issue. The blade is the right length but a little wider than I now prefer to carry.

It's definitely a knife that'll stay in my collection even if I don't carry it that often.

14. jpm2

jpm2

Nov 19, 2014
    Spyderco good - variety of steels, locks, handle materials... good ergos, thumb hole, good Company.

Glock not so good - spongy triggers, horrible balance from full mag to empty, off axis natural point (for me), hexagon land only barrel (no grooves, bad for non jacketed bullets).

Shmackey, cistercian and nephron like this.
  15. vba

vba

Jan 12, 2009
    Actually, I have no problems flipping Spyderco back locks, Endura, Delica, Natives etc.

Perhaps there is something wrong with your particular knife.

16. RealVendetta

Sep 30, 2019
    Its pinned construction, and likely dirty inside. Doesnt matter now. Its in a drawer and will stay that way.

17. ucfgrad93

ucfgrad93

Dec 13, 2017
    Agreed. The PM2 and Para 3 are wonderful knives.

18. RealVendetta

Sep 30, 2019
    Im chasing a PM2 now. Looking for a user that needs a little love. I envision an acid etched/stone washed blade with micarta scales. Then Im on the hunt for a Smock or a Shaman. Both eventually. But right now I have a dlc Manix 2 on the way to keep my Manix 2 XL company. This Spyderco thing might have negative repercussions for my wallet.

19. RealVendetta

Sep 30, 2019
    So.... I I have the Manixs covered. Lets say hypothetically I have 400ish dollars to spend on my next Spydie or two. What do I buy?

20. mattmanyam

mattmanyam

Apr 28, 2010
    A nice collaboration model, and a Delica to thrash on... (Kapara?)