Why Spyderco?

In the past, there have been some Spyderco knives I didn’t like for various reasons (Michael Walker LWT, Pro-Venator), but those are long gone. Also, Spyderco’s knives have evolved a LOT since the Gin-1 days. I own more Spydercos than any other knife brand, except possibly Victorinox.

That said, there are so many choices if you’re interested in trying a Spyderco out now, it’s a bit difficult recommending one specific model. Shaman is good (though I don’t own one at the moment). Manix 2 FFG is excellent and feels like a tank, though it may take some getting used to closing at first, unless you’re familiar with ball bearing locks or BM axis locks. Ritually all of my Spydercos now are buttery smooth, and I could easily flick most of them but don’t, as IMO, flicking a folder (any folder) can loosen its tolerances over time.

Jim

Welp I found a good deal on a Manix 2 XL here on the exchange. That exchange is gonna get me in trouble. Excited to try it out. Any recommendations on a deep carry clip?

Reactions: V-1
Welp I found a good deal on a Manix 2 XL here on the exchange. That exchange is gonna get me in trouble. Excited to try it out. Any recommendations on a deep carry clip?

I like my Manix 2XL and it is my emergency car knife. Big and sturdy it is ready
for cutting hoses or other unforeseen chores. I find it too jimpalicious for constant use
and favor the manix 2 over it for that. My old Enduras were great for cutting hoses too.
I love the comp lock and have Para 2s, A Shaman, a Lil Native, and a Kapara.
I highly recommend all of them. The Lil Native is my work EDC and I will be using my
new Kapara this week at work.
Spyderco knives have superior ergonomics and unlike some Glocks with poorly supported
case heads will never explode.
I prefer the Sig P226...the Anti-Glock. It has lots of parts. And a metal frame. It is
not easy to fully disassemble...and it is ready to go out of the box.

Glocks work fine actually...I just hate them. The bic lighter of guns.

1911s are epic BTW. EPIC.

1911's suck beans. Mostly because the straight frame bites into my palm. 1911 is for those with dainty hands.
I can buy an insert that bellies out the back strap more like a Beretta, but why pay all that ridiculous money? When I would prefer a Beretta.

I've wanted one hand open Spydies since 1980. I'm imprinted now.

DucvZn9.jpg

Got my Manix 2 XL today and let me just say... WOW. Outstanding knife. Beautiful finish and an outstanding factory edge. Super fidgety with the spydie flick and ball bearing lock. Big and beefy. The g10 is the perfect amount of grippy and the handle fits my hand like a glove. Consider me a convert. Now to find a PM2. And a Shaman. And a regular size Manix 2. And...

The Manix 2XL is one of the knives that got me started "collecting" knives as a hobby.

Saw/bought one "like new" but w/o a box at a gun show for $100 cash over a year ago. Did some quick Googling while there and its seemed like a "fair" price then and still does now. Bought a NIB regular Manix to pair w/it. Both have been sitting in my gun safe in a knife case for a long time.

Haven't thought about them much since I bought them but, now that I think about it, seems like a good time to carry the XL for a bit. :)

I carried it for the first time tonight. Very pocketable and comfortable for its size. Really cant find a bad thing to say about it.

I carried it for the first time tonight. Very pocketable and comfortable for its size. Really cant find a bad thing to say about it.

Well, while you certainly can pocket at XL, at 2" wide closed, it's not exactly a compact carry and it barely fits in my right front pocket where I also keep a Taxi wallet.

That said, I like the polished clip (so that I don't have to worry about any clip wear) and I had forgotten how nice it is to "flick" it open using the lock release technique w/the axis lock; a little easier to do than when using that technique w/a compression lock. Locks up perfectly almost everytime; miss the lockup w/compression blades more often - it's timing issue. The blade is the right length but a little wider than I now prefer to carry.

It's definitely a knife that'll stay in my collection even if I don't carry it that often.

Spyderco good - variety of steels, locks, handle materials... good ergos, thumb hole, good Company.

Glock not so good - spongy triggers, horrible balance from full mag to empty, off axis natural point (for me), hexagon land only barrel (no grooves, bad for non jacketed bullets).

Actually, I have no problems flipping Spyderco back locks, Endura, Delica, Natives etc.

Perhaps there is something wrong with your particular knife.

Actually, I have no problems flipping Spyderco back locks, Endura, Delica, Natives etc.

Perhaps there is something wrong with your particular knife.

Its pinned construction, and likely dirty inside. Doesnt matter now. Its in a drawer and will stay that way.

Im chasing a PM2 now. Looking for a user that needs a little love. I envision an acid etched/stone washed blade with micarta scales. Then Im on the hunt for a Smock or a Shaman. Both eventually. But right now I have a dlc Manix 2 on the way to keep my Manix 2 XL company. This Spyderco thing might have negative repercussions for my wallet.

So.... I I have the Manixs covered. Lets say hypothetically I have 400ish dollars to spend on my next Spydie or two. What do I buy?

Back