why the demand for the Cruwear PM-2?

CPM-CRUWEAR is a steel that checks a lot of boxes for a lot of people because of the toughness properties it offers. It's a semi-stainless tool steel, which allures a lot of people. Micarta is different, and Spyderco's canvas micarta ain't bad. They are also limited and won't ever be produced again, so they're highly collectible.
Edit: should have kept reading

I really like micarta. However, I was never enthused by Cruwear because of K390.

I really like micarta. However, I was never enthused by Cruwear because of K390.
Is K390 tough like Cruwear? I was thinking of getting an Endura or Police in that steel, but was waiting to learn more about it. I did not wanna buy another steel that could be described as "excellent cutter but brittle".

Is K390 tough like Cruwear? I was thinking of getting an Endura or Police in that steel, but was waiting to learn more about it. I did not wanna buy another steel that could be described as "excellent cutter but brittle".

Yes it is, the only down side is that it stains/will patina extremely fast. If you don’t like a well used look, stick with the Cruwear

Yes it is, the only down side is that it stains/will patina extremely fast. If you don’t like a well used look, stick with the Cruwear
Oh yeah, you can see that even in the display pictures! I do not mind patina, though, only rust. So as long as my mineral oil does the same thing there that it does on the rest of my carbon steel, I should be good. I'm a few miles near the beach, but not right off of the beach, so, as long as the corrosion resistance is not significantly worse than any other carbon steel. 😁

On paper they're pretty far apart. I don't know how much that shows up in actual use. I have a PM2 in K390 and it is fine for my use.

Far apart in what sense? I have used k390 police and endela. Bumped both accidentally into staples and cement ground. No damage to the edge at all. For a folding knife, the kind of toughness is sufficient to me.

I've found K390 to be quite tough. I attempted to cut through a piece of heavy gauge galvanized wire (which was hidden behind the piece of twine I thought I was cutting) with my K390 Endura. The edge was barely damaged, still usably sharp, though it needed some work to get it back to razor.

Vote for yes, said with confidence
On paper they're pretty far apart. I don't know how much that shows up in actual use. I have a PM2 in K390 and it is fine for my use.
On paper far apart? I mean, if I torque or drop K390, will it hold up like Cruwear or not? I know I can't tell cutting paper, but I am thinking in these terms: Am I going to a place like a dinner party where I might cut some softer things like the stems of lemons from a tree, I bring my REX-45 or S45VN. If I'm going to go on a hike and might be really cutting into some plants and dirt and where rock might be, I bring the Cruwear in micarta. That is what I mean, is K390 like that, is what I'm tryna figure out.
I've found K390 to be quite tough. I attempted to cut through a piece of heavy gauge galvanized wire (which was hidden behind the piece of twine I thought I was cutting) with my K390 Endura. The edge was barely damaged, still usably sharp, though it needed some work to get it back to razor.
Yes, with a real world example.

I appreciate all of you who wrote words trying to inform me. I am still trying to get what K390 is all about - I have never tried to fw any Bohler-Uddeholm steel series.
I dropped both my Cruwear and S45VN PM2 accidently from about two feet up (sitting on couch holding in hand) onto wood floors, very, VERY small microchipping that does not affect cutting performance on S45VN but not a scratch on the Cruwear. If K390 is better than Cruwear, then it seems totally up my alley! I've had to do painstaking research on all the other steels so I would really appreciate a K390 expert in the house to run down the pros and cons for me, haha!

Far apart in what sense? I have used k390 police and endela. Bumped both accidentally into staples and cement ground. No damage to the edge at all. For a folding knife, the kind of toughness is sufficient to me.

I can't outright speak for bd, but I believe he meant far apart in composition, on paper. There are many characteristics that are different between the two steels that go beyond paper and the paper will give you that sense per their readings.

It is very tough. It is not 52100 or 13c26 or anything, but it is tough. There is a video where a guy is chopping a brick with a Spyderco without damage. It is hard, too. It is my favorite non-stainless steel...and it is not bad to corrode, either, like Cruwear can.

It is very tough. It is not 52100 or 13c26 or anything, but it is tough. There is a video where a guy is chopping a brick with a Spyderco without damage. It is hard, too. It is my favorite non-stainless steel...and it is not bad to corrode, either, like Cruwear can.
I'm glad to hear that, I definitely wanna try the steel. I'm stuck on whether I should keep with my current buying plans and get something like a Police in the steel, or a ManBug (1.8" cutting edge). Ha. One thing though, that I have to do a double-take on...

Man... Cruwear is super corrosion resistant, in my experience, and I see patina in the very pictures of K390 from dealers! K390 is supposedly like the most corrosion prone of them all, I heard. I'm not disputing you, just saying you are the first to say anything good about K390 in terms of stainlessness. It is Cruwear that receives all the most love for being "stainless non-stainless".

I have been able to maintain all my carbon steels through just oiling, happily, even being near to the coast.

Cruwear is far tougher, and substantially more corrosion resistant than K390. K390 is a rust magnet. I've had K390 Spydercos with pitting rust on them, brand new from the dealer. K390 has better wear resistance.

Cruwear is far tougher, and substantially more corrosion resistant than K390. K390 is a rust magnet. I've had K390 Spydercos with pitting rust on them, brand new from the dealer. K390 has better wear resistance.
That is what I was thinking, I know some people randomly have intensely different experiences with steel, so I feel jealous of this guy who evidently got the magic batch of K390! Like, I believe him, but at the same time, I know myself and others will not be likely to have that experience.

I was thinking of getting a small knife, like, sub-Delica, in the steel, that way, if it pits or rusts terribly on me, I am not out much. So far all my carbon steel has held up, and it seems like a great cutter.

IMO, the 'magic batch' was the Bento K390 PM2. They ran it 2-3 points softer than the Seki models, which gives it quite a bit more toughness and only a marginal decrease in edge retention. The lower HRC may also contribute to corrosion resistance, as it does in some other steels.

IMO, the 'magic batch' was the Bento K390 PM2. They ran it 2-3 points softer than the Seki models, which gives it quite a bit more toughness and only a marginal decrease in edge retention. The lower HRC may also contribute to corrosion resistance, as it does in some other steels.
Ooh, American K390... Okay, I see. Thanks for letting me know about that, it's good to know.
I always love seeing the differences/refinements in Japanese vs American steels. HAP40 vs REX 45, ZDP vs Cowry X, and this K390 made in two countries.

I love the PM2 platform, so I would definitely snatch that up if I find one.

I thought the same thing. I have a k390 PM2, which I absolutely love and use it for yard work. However, it is a BEAR to sharpen, and what I do out in the yard will dull any knife, I don't care what fancy steel it has (Scrape the underside of my lawnmower.) I grabbed the crucarta on a whim when it was in stock, and started carrying it, and HOLY SMOKES, its a dang good version of the PM2, and super easy to sharpen, and really tough. It took me a bit to get used to the fluffy micarta scales, but I continue to beat them so as to get some patina on them and break them in.

Update: It will never replace my Bento k390 PM2, which has flytanium scales and is super light compared to total length of the knife.

I thought the same thing. I have a k390 PM2, which I absolutely love and use it for yard work. However, it is a BEAR to sharpen, and what I do out in the yard will dull any knife, I don't care what fancy steel it has (Scrape the underside of my lawnmower.) I grabbed the crucarta on a whim when it was in stock, and started carrying it, and HOLY SMOKES, its a dang good version of the PM2, and super easy to sharpen, and really tough. It took me a bit to get used to the fluffy micarta scales, but I continue to beat them so as to get some patina on them and break them in.

Update: It will never replace my Bento k390 PM2, which has flytanium scales and is super light compared to total length of the knife.
I was thinking of my PM2s, and I decided I really want one in a crazy, all-out steel (Unless you consider REX 45 to be that), like S110V, Maxamet, K390, 10V, something like that. I decided to go with Maxamet as it seemed the easiest sharpen out of all if you have the requisite diamond. But, the stuff beats S110V, it just seems amazing. Want to try K390 in a small knife, sub Delica.

Love the Crucarta, always will keep it as the toughest PM2. Might even get two.

I don't have the micarta PM2, but in my experience, soft, grippy micarta becomes smoother and less grippy over time.

Back