1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Why Toolless Disassembly Should Be The Future of Knife Design

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Dan57, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    Snecx Vision...tool less cleaning, caged lubrication points and never having to disassemble. Mike drop. Haha.
    You are welcome OP.

2. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    LOL! You got that right. My three year old granddaughter knows what a Philips screwdriver is.
    Edit: Well, 3 1/2 years old.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    cbrstar likes this.
  3. marthinus

marthinus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 10, 2006
    Back in 2014 we spent months in the field looking for old gas wells.

Had my first IKBS prototype with me for the entire trip.

Warm water and soap and nothing else for the entire trip.

To date never has the knife been taken apart and still functions.

Changed my perspective on disassembly requirements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    I take apart every knife that I can as soon as I get it. Part of it is inspection. Part of it is getting to know the knife. Part of it is cleaning out whatever mystery goo it had from the factory and replacing it with quality non-toxic lube. No, that doesn't mean some over-priced "unicorn lube". I wipe down surfaces with mineral oil and put a little FMO 350-AW on the moving parts. Then I know what I'm carrying and I know what's in it.

For "toolless disassembly" to be the future of knife design, it would require good working disassembly mechanisms that will be cost effective and work reliably with a variety of designs. Even then, would everyone want it? I don't know. I'd be happy to just see a few small changes go standard. For instance, I'd like to see T6 replaced by T8 for most screws. I'd also like to see pivots and spacers captured so that nothing spins freely.

000Robert likes this.
  5. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    I think this thread pretty definitively shows that no, not everyone would want it.

6. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Having lived the past 45 years in the desert and most of it outdoors, I've never had the need .
    [​IMG]

7. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry

Aug 11, 2020
    He didn't say stranded. I think we all know what Smaug meant by "stuck".
    Personally, if I was operating or living in the sandbox long term, I'd opt for a fixed blade, if allowed. Short of a fixed blade, I might indeed look into something like the "Homefront".

I can get behind toolless disassembly as long as the knife is acceptably tight when put back together.

Chronovore and Smaug like this.
  8. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    What are you guys cutting in the desert? Nothing there but sand.

Lee D and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  9. Smaug

Smaug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2003
    How about kindling for a fire? It gets cold at night in the desert. There's more in a desert than sand, as you can see by the pic above.

Chronovore likes this.
  10. Smaug

Smaug Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Do you get sandstorms?

Billy The Hungry likes this.
  11. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Your desert has trees still? Lucky!

I was expecting to hear about getting water out of a cactus.

12. Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    We got sandstorms in Saudi that would reduce visibility to feet.

We'd also get some substantial ones down the Snake River Valley.

Never took a knife apart.

Lesknife likes this.
  13. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Have you ever heard of the Dust Bowl during the 1930s ? That’s where I’ve lived most of my life in the high plains of Oklahoma and Kansas. Yes we have dust, dirt, sand and every conceivable element that wind can pickup. It gets everywhere and it sometimes takes a magnetic kind of stick to it that’s frustrating to clean. That’s where soap and warm water helps to knock the magnetic stick and get it off.

I’ve carried some kind of pocket knife for 50 years and never had a thot about needing a tool less take apart knife. If it can’t take a bit of dirt or sand without failing then I’ll use a fixed blade knife. But I’ve not had any folder fail me yet in all kinds of foul weather and environment.

Eli Chaps likes this.
  14. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Every Spring, winds up to 80 mph.

15. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Fancy solutions for fancy needs...

16. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    I see that the dismissive tone of my "I don't know" didn't translate well to text. The point was that even if perfected across a diverse variety of mechanisms, toolless disassembly would still not be right for every knife or every person.

I suggested a few other things that I'd rather see standardized for those of us who like to take apart our knives. Even for those who usually don't take apart their knives, I think it's good to be able to if you wanted to. I think there is value both in having that process made relatively easy and in minimizing the potential for damage in doing so. For instance, I'd like to see the industry move away from soft T6 screws where applicable and continue the trend away from permanent thread-locker.

BTW, what kind of folder did you use in Saudi Arabia? Was sand or grit an issue at all for that knife? What kinds of gear were most affected?

17. Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    My folders were a Buck 425 and a Leatherman. I used the crap out of them all the time. It may surprise folks to know just how useful the diminutive little 425 is. Super simple and super effective. To one extent or another, sand was an issue with everything. My 425 stayed in pocket and only came to make a cut and then back. No big deal. The Leatherman got used a ton, to include cutting open and draining crap sandbags (something I did in a lot of places). You'd try to blow it out and if that didn't work you poured some water into it, shook it out, blew into it and called it good.

I wouldn't carry a knife in that environment that was overly finicky. Period. And that doesn't mean you have to be poorly equipped by any stretch.

Back when I was damned dirty biker, someone said to me, things that look super cool are rarely very practical.

Lesknife and Chronovore like this.
  18. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry

Aug 11, 2020
    Maybe some of this comes down to personal levels of knife care. I'm OCD about keeping my knives in good shape. Perhaps a grity action doesn't bother some people, haha.

Edit: Nobody get offended please, it's all in good nature. Have a great weekend all

Smaug likes this.
  19. Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    No. That's not it.

20. pvicenzi

pvicenzi Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Grandpa carried the same folding knife for many years. He just rinsed it out and put some oil on the hinges. Me, I enjoy taking apart a knife, cleaning it up, lubing it and putting it back together. None of this is necessary though. Tools or not, we really do not need to disassemble our knives.