Why?

JK Knives

I see and hear it often, 1911 owners hate Glocks, Glock owners hate 1911’s, and they both hate revolvers. Am I the odd man out? I love, own, shoot, and carry all three.

You aren’t! I think that the majority of gun owners would agree with you. Some people have very strong opinions and those are the ones that we hear the most often. That doesn’t make them the majority though.

I'm with you....my favorite 3 guns are my S&W .22 kit gun, Glock 17 and Springer Pro Operator.

Tribalism and cognitive disconnect. We all want to justify our decisions/opinions. And in our current society it is "cool" to shout into an echo chamber and be validated.
I like 1911s (currently own 2
Les Baer), Glocks (Gen3 19), and revolvers (multiple Ruger and S&W). There are some guns (types and brands) that I wouldn't buy, but depending on how long the line is I can't think of any I wouldn't take if someone was handing them out for free.

I got a few of each. If its quality and a good deal with money burning a hole in my pocket. They usually end up in my safe.

Own and use all three. All three have qualities I like and all three have things I don’t like at all.

I can't say I hate Glocks they just didn't do it for me ... I do love my 1911s and I love my wheel guns as much ... and I'll add I love my Sig Sauers ...

are several other brands I have and enjoy ... but tried a few Glocks and they just never felt right they wouldn't group nearly as well as my Sigs or 1911s or even my H&Ks ...

I think they are well made and popular for a reason ... they just didn't find a home with me.

I can't say I hate Glocks they just didn't do it for me ... I do love my 1911s and I love my wheel guns as much ... and I'll add I love my Sig Sauers ...

are several other brands I have and enjoy ... but tried a few Glocks and they just never felt right they wouldn't group nearly as well as my Sigs or 1911s or even my H&Ks ...

I think they are well made and popular for a reason ... they just didn't find a home with me.
Just sell me the glocks at buddy pricing. And they will go in my safe until my estate sale

I grew up shooting a 1911 and I love a good wheel gun, but I could never get used to a Glock. The lighter weight and the grip angle feels unnatural to me on the Glock and I feel like I have to concentrate on adjusting myself to the gun with every shot, whereas with a revolver or 1911 it's just point and shoot.

I absolutely loved my 1911's, and my Colt revolvers. First time I shot a Glock (a 19), I absolutely hated it. It felt uncomfortable, and I couldn't shoot it worth a damn. Tried again on a 17, and loved it. It was just something about the shorter grip on the 19 that I didn't like. Plus, the grip angle really threw me off the first time.

Last edited:

this - I grew up shooting .22 revolvers and Ruger Mk II pistols, then purchased an Arminius .357 and a victory model S&W .38 in college.
When I qualified with a 1911 in 86, I was instantly a fan of how the it felt in hand and shot.
When first introduced to Glock in the mid-80's, it felt wrong.
I have shot Beretta, Sig, CZ, and HK - all with no issues.
my Cowboy Action Shooting days were all revolvers -- and I loved the 1858 Remingtons & Ruger Biseleys, but not the 50/51/60/61/71 colts

At one point I thought my prejudice was against polymer frames, because the weight/balance was wrong -- but I have shot polymer and alloy framed pistols that weighed the same, so that's not it.
I can shoot glocks just fine -- but they still don't feel "right" in my hand.

Just sell me the glocks at buddy pricing. And they will go in my safe until my estate sale

If I hadn't sold or traded them years ago I would do just that ... I do believe they are well made and reliable ... I never had any issues with any I tried ... I guess they just didn't feel right or point naturally for me.

this - I grew up shooting .22 revolvers and Ruger Mk II pistols, then purchased an Arminius .357 and a victory model S&W .38 in college.
When I qualified with a 1911 in 86, I was instantly a fan of how the it felt in hand and shot.
When first introduced to Glock in the mid-80's, it felt wrong.
I have shot Beretta, Sig, CZ, and HK - all with no issues.
my Cowboy Action Shooting days were all revolvers -- and I loved the 1858 Remingtons & Ruger Biseleys, but not the 50/51/60/61/71 colts

At one point I thought my prejudice was against polymer frames, because the weight/balance was wrong -- but I have shot polymer and alloy framed pistols that weighed the same, so that's not it.
I can shoot glocks just fine -- but they still don't feel "right" in my hand.

I think that was the real issue for me was after what I got accustom to shooting the Glocks just didn't feel right or point naturally I had to find the front sight instead of just drawing and raising and extending the handgun and the front site was where it should be ...

maybe it's just like knives some fit some peoples hands great some don't ...

I won't probably ever buy another Glock but if it came down to it I would have no issue trusting my life to one ... reguardless of my dislike of them ... it can't be argued that they just flat out are reliable.

I find as I get a little older I've settled into my Sig Sauer P220s in 45 ACP ... and my 1911s in 45 ACP as my favorite by far go to handguns ...

and added a couple HK polymer 9mms a S&W Shield 9mm for summer shorts carry ...

and then found my way back to more wheel guns as they were my first love growing up dreaming of being a cowboy ... the Ruger Singe Six rode on my hip trapping as a very young boy .. and I still carry revolvers trail riding anywhere there are 4 legged predators ... and I enjoy hunting with revolvers also ...

I also enjoyed cowboy action shooting ... one of my favorite competetion shooting sports ... and met alot of really good people doing that ... I still love the feel of a good lever action rifle and the crisp single action or a Colt Peacemaker or my Uberti 1872 Open Top ...

It's all about sunk costs for both sides of the coin. After someone has poured huge energy into either option trying out the other feels wrong.

And the time to rewrite your brain to adapt seems insurmountable. I came into pistols at the end of the 70s and the star of the 80s so the rise of the wonder nines and then after that the Glock. Revolvers, 1911s and other service pistols felt rooted in WWII to me and inferior to the new crop of double stack pistols. It took till years later that I deliberately tried a modern 1911 for a period of time and appreciated what it had going for it.

Now I can shift between the various types without frustration. At the end of it the understanding you gain makes you a better shot with either pistol.

I look at this like climbing a mountain. Once you're reached the peak with a particular pistol you can't just leap to another peak you see in the distance. You need to go down and climb back up again.

I don't have either although I have had both. I'll likely never own another Glock, they just don't really work for me or offer anything that's not done better by something else. 1911s are great range guns but are boat anchors to me compared to polymer guns. Their only appeal to me now is that you can get one in 10mm or .38 Super, something not chambered in a wide variety of other sidearms.

I've never owned a Glock but I have nothing against them. I love my 1911s but I'm always looking for something better. As a lefty I want something that works easily and instinctively in my left hand. The H&Ks are looking really good. I may get one this year.

To many people are invested in what they have. It has to be the best because they own it lol. I have all and like em all. I only carry my striker fired guns because I feel they are more reliable imo. But I love a 1911 trigger

To expand a bit, I like the 1911 but for CCW it's a lot of weight for the amount of "firepower" for lack of a better word. I'm contemplating maybe getting a 1911 in 10mm down the road as a bear defense gun (moving to ID this week!:D) but I'm not sure. Not a lot of options in 10mm. Maybe a CZ 75 of some kind?

Again, I really like the 1911 design but most of my sidearms are kept for CCW and I prefer something a bit lighter.

Back