Wilderness survival knife help!?

Yeah get a RAT, SPYDERCO and KERSHAW for each pocket.

If you can postpone your trip until RAT brings out their outdoor clothing products!

Get real! Get Knowledge!

Really check out the Ray Mears website and equipment for ideas as he's been around the world. The Amazon may require a bit more than a backpack full of fanboy trinkets ; )

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Really starting to wonder if i need stainless steel. I live in very humid environment and spend much time in salty/air areas. Would that rule out the RAT but not the other choices? Or is this stainless steel thing really not a concern?

Thanks,

Greer

Check out Chris Reeves fixed blades....you don't need a lot of inside information to know the quality and how they are made.

Wether you choose fäll or rat, you ain't doing wrong on either one. I guess it's mostly preferrence of handle, blade geometry and grind. I wish good luck with your choice, whatever it is!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Really starting to wonder if i need stainless steel. I live in very humid environment and spend much time in salty/air areas. Would that rule out the RAT but not the other choices? Or is this stainless steel thing really not a concern?

Thanks,

Greer

We have really good stainless available. Carbon steel no longer has the advantage it once did. Stainless takes less care and stays looking good longer. Around salt water even stainless can use a little oil once in a while. Most carbon steel discolors readily, even in the absence of actual rust. That does not bother me, but might bother you.

If you are going to be using your knife for food prep and need to oil it, I suggest using mineral oil, available in any drug store. It's tasteless, non toxic, and so safe that it is used in much larger quanties as a laxative. The trace amounts used to protect a blade will have no effect on you.

A Fallkniven S1, a Gransfors Bruk small forest axe and a multitool.
Thats about what you need.

You can do without the axe and instead baton on the knife. Almost the same result.
You can throw in a bunch of "cheap" Mora knives. Especially if you have relatives from Scandinavia.

The thing is to get tools that sort of barely overlaps each other.
Bringing an axe and a huge knife is sort of redundant.
There are big things to do. Medium things to do and small things to do.
You need to find three tools (more or less) that can split wood to pick out splinters in your finger.
A 4"-6" fixed blade, an axe or folding saw and a multitool or SAK.

Becker Necker.. :) nice knife that can be carried in the neck, belt or attached to your gear.

bk11.jpg

+1. A 3" or 4" fixed blade, and a Hatchet/axe works for me. Plus my Swiss Army Knife, of course.

100_1389.jpg

Or if traveling through heavy vegetation is a concern replace the hatchet/axe with a machete.

Now that is a woodsman's carry. :thumbup:

Thanks,

Greer

I live in a Pretty humid environment in the late summer (Arkansas). Not salty, but definitely humid. Carried my Izula on my belt every day and maybe had two or three miniscule spots on the edge that probably could have rubbed off If I whittled a stick down for a couple minutes. But I got it out with a lead away patch.

Honestly, I had a "Stainless" kershaw rust on me faster in my pocket than my 1095 Izula.

Hmmm, I'm down in houston, tx much of the year. And as i posted in the other forum, these "hikes" i'm referring to are really more like 7-14 day excursions. Lots of sweat, some light wood work, occasional field dressing, food prep, and often salt water interaction. Are you saying a little love would keep the 1095 virtually rust free in that kind of environment!??

Salt water is the bane of many a material. If you KNOW that you're going to be cutting in salt water, and you have a big budget (as you apparently do), consider one of the Spyderco SALT series of knives made from H1 steel. Don't know what kind of salt water interaction you're talking about, but one of the SALT folders A)would make a very decent EDC folder B) absolutely will not rust, even if you go swimming in the ocean and don't rinse it afterwards and C) is light enough to carry with you just for salt water use. They also have a few fixed blades made with the same materials.

For the general-purpose Fixed Blade, the Bravo-1 in CPM154 is a great choice...

B_1_SS_Red_Blk_Linen.jpg

I think understanding the tasks at hand would be most critical. For me, i would rather have a machete such as a $6 Bolo Tramontina as it is light to carry, cheap to replace, a proven workhorse, and will outchop anything I know of. I would then have a small usable 3"-4" knife. So many to choose from. If you maintain your Carbon steel it shold be fine as most are coated anyway. This opens many more options although there are nice Stainless ones as well.

Thanks again everyone. I'm going to try and find a few of these in person..and just go with the one that "fits" me the best. RAT currently in the lead...but will let you know the final outcome!

Happy holidays to all,

Greer

Back