Will I regret not getting a Sebenza?

Last edited:
It is an unfortunate downside of Sebenzas (as opposed to the Inkosi or Umnumzaan) that the risk of pinching washers is significantly higher and when you do you have to send it in. As others have said sliding the blade in the assembled knife is the best way to avoid it in the future.

It is an unfortunate downside of Sebenzas (as opposed to the Inkosi or Umnumzaan) that the risk of pinching washers is significantly higher and when you do you have to send it in. As others have said sliding the blade in the assembled knife is the best way to avoid it in the future.

I always use the layering method instead of the sandwich method when I reasemble my 21 after cleaning and lubing. I think you'll have less chance of pinching a washer this way.

View attachment 1002569 I am officially a Sebenza owner! This is by far the most expensive knife that I have ever owned and The quality is evident even in the first few minutes of owning it.

The grind on the blade is so thin I can’t wait to start cutting some stuff with it!

Sebenza thumb is such a real thing! I find the knife quite difficult to open. I think part of it is that I put my fingers on the lockbar. Also I haven’t quite figured out the correct angle to use on the thumb stud.

Thanks for the advice on being patient and letting the knife break in. I could see how there could be a disappointment in the initial action of the knife. It’s not the smoothest knife I’ve ever owned but I know it’ll get there once I break it it!

Wow this thing is beautiful!

If you laid the knife on the spine of the handle you would want to push the thumbstud directly vertical towards the ceiling. Then in a halfmoon around the pivot.

This is unlike most folders where ifnthe knife was on the handle spine you would push the stud at a sort of 45 degree angle from the ceiling and horizontal.

This is probably going to upset some purists but I also recommend opening the knife, cleaning out the stock grease and replacing with somethinf like nano oil. Just remember it can be very easy to accidentally pinch the washer between the bushing and the scale when reassembling. Take the time to make sure everything is lined up properly.

If you laid the knife on the spine of the handle you would want to push the thumbstud directly vertical towards the ceiling. Then in a halfmoon around the pivot.

This is unlike most folders where ifnthe knife was on the handle spine you would push the stud at a sort of 45 degree angle from the ceiling and horizontal.

This is probably going to upset some purists but I also recommend opening the knife, cleaning out the stock grease and replacing with somethinf like nano oil. Just remember it can be very easy to accidentally pinch the washer between the bushing and the scale when reassembling. Take the time to make sure everything is lined up properly.
Too late :(

People that have no idea how to do this need to take the time to watch the video Tim put out and/ or take your time.

It's pretty fool proof. I understand it can happen but I'd never call it common. I must have done at least 100 take downs of a 21 over the past decade on my own and for other members.
Never had a pinched washer.

After experimenting I found that I prefer CRK grease for the pivot with frog lube as a close second.

They are just thick enough to hold the washers on during assembly. Making it easier to insert the blade.

~If the handle is assembled and snug. It will be tight enough that the washers and bushing can not move during insertion.

~Ease it in nice and slow. Don't just stuff it in there :)

Last edited:
When in doubt always start over. Just getting it done usually ends in a bad assembly, leading to other problems. You’ll get the hang of it.

Back