Wilson Rockwell Tester Help

I’m new to the forum trying to figure this posting thing out. I bought a Wilson Rockwell Tester locally(NE Ohio) off of Craigslist and it is missing the weights and test blocks. As far as I can tell the model is 4TT. I am currently hoping to get a copy of the manual from Buehler (waiting on a return email). I saw a thread from a while ago that says the ratio should be 25:1 meaning the weights and holder should be 6kg. I am trying to see if this is correct. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I can’t figure out how to add a picture of the tester.

I don't have a clue, only replying because you've not had a response all day and didn't wish you to feel ignored. Good luck finding the info.

I’m new to the forum trying to figure this posting thing out. I bought a Wilson Rockwell Tester locally(NE Ohio) off of Craigslist and it is missing the weights and test blocks. As far as I can tell the model is 4TT. I am currently hoping to get a copy of the manual from Buehler (waiting on a return email). I saw a thread from a while ago that says the ratio should be 25:1 meaning the weights and holder should be 6kg. I am trying to see if this is correct. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I can’t figure out how to add a picture of the tester.
That's a Twin tester for both superficial and regular hence the "TT" it will need the full weight stack 150kg to function with Rockwell scale test C.

The three test blocks are low, medium and high.

Could probably get by with just one test block in either the medium or high range depending on your work.

I'd email Brystartools in NC, they sell and refurbish lab equipment and sell refurbished Wilson Testers.

Buehler doesn't make analog testers anymore so I don't think there is any support for them. The have moved on to digital load cell testers (No weights) because they have more accurate delivery of pre load and major load and higher resolution to 0.1hrc those are beyond what most of us can afford or need.($10,000-50,000)

Thanks for the info everyone. I watched a video of the weights on YouTube and the guy showed the weight of each one. I will attempt to make weights in the next two weeks or so and will service the oil. A friend of mine is going to heat treat a block at his machine shop and will test it with their digital tester and give me that for my test block. As for posting pictures I do everything off of my iPhone. Thanks again for all the help.

What weight did you settle one. I just bought a 3JR and it’s going to need weights as well. I was ok buying mine because the guy offered it to me for $150. Had it listed on eBay for $350 and is in Wyoming. I asked if he ever went to Utah and he said he was actually heading there this week. Told him I would buy it for $300 if he dropped it off at my mother in-laws place, He said he would. I then asked if it had weights, I didn’t think it did. He said he would look around and ask his work, where he got it from. He came back and said I can’t find then so I’m guessing you dont want it. I told him I still did and to just adjust the price to what he thought was fare. Well that’s how I got it for $150 with free delivery lol.

I made one. The weight with the attachment needs to be 6kg for the “C” scale. I bought a piece of 3” round stock 8 1/2” long. I used a friends lathe and faced one end and took about 1/4” off of the diameter. I ended up having to cut about 7/8” off the length to get the weight right and also ground a flat spot down to about 3/4” wide the length of it to clear the back of the tester. I used a piece of all thread for a center post but I will change it to a smooth post and collar for adjustment. I used a digital food scale that is really accurate to weigh it when I was done. Ended having to glue on 6 penny’s and a dime to hit exactly 6 Kg.

I knew it was a 1:25 ratio but I was not sure if that included hanger or if it was smack on 6kg (150kg/25) total. My plan is to do it like my reloading power scale and do the bulk with a solid weight and then adjust with some lead shot in a little pocket.

Good luck. I’m reading about 1.5 points low on the items I’ve HRC tested.
If your reading 1.5rc low then you need to remove weight. Keep removing weight till it reads right on the money. My current hardness is a rams Rockford tester and it does not have weights, it has a big spring. To calibrate you adjust a wing but of sorts that puts more or less tension on the spring. This pushed the brail in more or less causing it to read higher or lower.

Sorry for the previous post. It was not supposed to send. I adjusted the speed to the 5-7 seconds the manual recommended and I’m hitting within 1/2 a point. The weight was bottoming out in a little under 4 seconds and I slowed it down and after several pieces tested including a Nicholson File it seems to be much better.

It calls for 10wt. Airtool oil is 10wt and so is Medium Hydraulic oil. The Hydraulic Oil is what the guy at Brystar Tools told me to use but I had the AirTool oil already and I worked fine. Once I figured out how to add the oil I was fine. Brystar told me how to do that as well. Good people to deal with down there. Very Very Helpful.

Just a comment, but when I made a weight for a friend, I made it close to the exact weight and then added washers on the hanger shaft with the hook. That way I could remove or add weight as needed.

Mine was missing everything including the piece that attached to the beam. Is there anyway anyone could send me or post a picture of the hole weight assembly. I would like to make it like the original.

Back