Win a free Talonite (r) knife

Welcome to the forums Paul
smile.gif

Tell Tom (Woodstock Tom) I said howdy.
Take my word for it folks someone is in for a real treat and Paul is a great guy to get to know.

------------------
" The real art of living is too keep alive the longing in human beings to become greater versions of themselves." Laurens Van der Post.
In memory of James Mattis

Originally posted by Gus Kalanzis:
Welcome to the forums Paul
smile.gif

Tell Tom (Woodstock Tom) I said howdy.
Take my word for it folks someone is in for a real treat and Paul is a great guy to get to know.

Will do, and thank you for your kind words also. I really am looking forward to working with Talonite. I don't uasualy work hardened metal, but I have, and am going to for this and Tom's knife.
I've already milled, drilled and shaped the blade for Tom's knife and am getting ready to start fitting the lockbar and liner.

Looking forward to participating in the forum.
Paul

------------------
Paul
Knifemakers are a sharper class of people.
pk@paulknife.com
PaulKnife.com

Like I said, a nice everyday carry folder that won't offend people. Can you do a sliplock style like a Stockman? Mokume stuff is really cool looking! A nice lockback would also be nice as a carry piece. Instead of the phenolic scales, how bout some stabilized or sealed wood??
wink.gif
I have some tulipwood and ziricote scales, not sealed or anything that would look nice on a folder!

My first post seems to have failed
frown.gif

Start again.

Any point me entering Tom?
wink.gif

Seriously, I have been working with Tom for a few months on a custom Talonite(r) knife to test. I will get the knife for free. I will design it. Steve Rollert will make it. Tom 'puts up' where other companies 'shut up'. He is willing to show me, and thus the group what Talonite can do. I will be testing this knife and will update you as soon as I can get this photopoint thing worked out. The knife is up to a conceptial drawing and size. I will discus this another time. I have started asking competitors to loan or donate a knife to be tested in a fair and realistic way. I.e. not to destruction. Up to now all have turned me down flat or failed to respond. I will name no names, to protect those who rightly do not wish to be a part of this. I have no links with Tom, Talonite or anyone else. I stated off as a sceptic about Talonite from comments by some. I now realise that unless a product is tried and tested by me, any opinion is unfair and flawed. For me at least, others opinions are just as valid as mine. My point being that I aim to cut out the hype trim the tripe and give a fresh insight on how to get a custom knife made, what it entails, how a new material performs and what it all means at the end of the day.

Tom backs his product 110%, others do not seem to the same. If Talonite does well, I will say as such, if it does not, I will not lie to this group. If the product does the job and is good enough to satisfy me, I will buy a Talonite folder out of my own money. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is, just as Tom has kindly done. We all need to see more of this kind of promotion. The knife industry can be a baffling and intimidating place. Lets make it easier and better for all of us!
tongue.gif
. The more 'knife nuts' the better.

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tenneson
Ranger motto

[This message has been edited by The General (edited 11-09-2000).]

Hi Tom, you know there's no way I'm going to pass up a chance at another Talonite knife.I LOVE THEM..
biggrin.gif

My idea is for a gentlemans folder. There have been all sorts of tests and user comments on how Talonite perfoms in a working knife, why not something in this line? I was thinking of something in the nature of a Warnliffe or modified clip point blade, plain edge with Ti bolsters and liners, properly jeweled and tiger or apple coral scales. A nice touch would be a semi-precious stone mounted in the thumbstud and of course the knife being a liner lock.

Jake

This may not be very original but I think it would be a great knife:

Folder: a 3.5" like the Al Mar SERE 2K or the Benchmade AFCK

Fixed blade: Like the Busse Lean Mean Street. .1875 thick with micarta or G10 checkered handles.

K.I.S.S. and I don't mean CRK&T, just simple clean functional lines with strong handle or slabs.

Make my handles burgundy micarta and I will be pleased.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Ron,
Bremerton, Washington

Originally posted by Taz:
Like I said, a nice everyday carry folder that won't offend people. Can you do a sliplock style like a Stockman? Mokume stuff is really cool looking! A nice lockback would also be nice as a carry piece. Instead of the phenolic scales, how bout some stabilized or sealed wood??
wink.gif
I have some tulipwood and ziricote scales, not sealed or anything that would look nice on a folder!

Hello, Taz?
As in W/B's T-Devil. :)
I have no problem with stabilized woods. I don't have any on the shelf at the moment, but could get some.
Thank you for your offer of Tulipwood and Zericote, but here is a list of woods I have on the shelf at the moment;

(All in premium and exhibition grades)
Gibbon Ebony (BLACK)
Zericote, and White Zericote
Thuya Burl
Tulipwood
Bolivian Rosewood
Madrone Burl
Purple Heart
Mercr Birch
Maple Burl

(arrived this week)
Red Mahoe
Red Heart

(arriving next week)
Pink Ivory (wood)
Snakewood
Black Palm

These are the woods, I also have Micarta (white, antique, ivory).

Just about any wood not on this list I can get locally, or get it from one of the wood stabilizers.
Paul

------------------
Paul
Knifemakers are a sharper class of people.
pk@paulknife.com
PaulKnife.com

3 1/2 inch drop point,titanium handles with a framelock,and ambidextrous thumbstuds.

Please do a 3.5 in. drop point, thumb studs. Make it a linerlock so it'll open easy with G-io scales. Keep it light and simple.

Make it in talonite that would be a good idea.

------------------
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

Paul's fixed blade #3 is a nice shape; I would like a 3" blade and THIN stabilized burl scales.

For all of you tactical knife lovers, please don't read this post. You might get offended, but it is the feelings of a poor, newbie knifemaking, college student Bastid!!
biggrin.gif

Taz is my nickname from track and field. As a hammer thrower, i tend to spin pretty fast!

I liked Micarta and G10 earlier, but now I like the wood handles. Looks nice and not as threatening. They also have a softer feel to them and look more dressy than boring old black and dark red! No offense guys, but i would love to see a lockback, sliplock or stockman type knife for this. Classy enough to carry and use, big enough to get the job done. I have a tactical liner lock with the black blade, but truthfully, I never use it. it just sits in my pocket and when people need a knife, I lend that one even though it cost me 100 bucks. A friend doing an internship wioth a Police department has it now. Why? The reason is simple. For every day cutting chores, a stockman, sliplock or simple lockback out performs it in every way. Steel that holds an edge is great for a user, but it must be easy to resharpen if needed. I see most of the people want tactical..why is that? how many of you have a NEED for a tactical folder? LEO's, paramedics and people who need to be able to open a knife quickly need a tactical. Military personnel. How many of you whip out your tactical folder to open mail and then complain about people thinking knives are dangerous?? I know I don't NEED a tactical folder and I feel like I wasted 100 on the one I have because I never use it. Sure, i can use it in self defense if I need to and all of that, like you will need it when you dont have it, blah blah blah, but when it comes down to it, I wouldn't want my life to depend on a liner lock with a thick, hard to sharpen blade and a not too great liner lock. If i need to carry a knife, i will make myself a few small FB to stash on my person. Stronger, sharper and more intimidation. Seeing someone pull a Fb out is more intimidating than see someone open a folder IMHO. DO tactical knives have their place? Yes. Are they fun to flick out and play with?? HELL YEAH!!! Are they for me? NO! i would rather see a knife I can use and carry everyday and enjoy and that people could see and see that knives can be beautiful tools and not just weapons. A tactical folder is also more likely to get you in trouble than a nice, gentlemanly lockback or stockman. Yes, a Fb will also get you in trouble, too. What I am saying is that there are a lot of production tactical folders out there that you can get a very good blade from. MT, REKAT, Camillus, Benchmade, Gerber, etc. It is very expensive to find a nice, custom lockback or slip joint. believe me, I have looked! This is a way to get a very sweet talonite knife for free!!!!!! Get a classy design that you will love and will actually use and will want to carry.

I would love to see a 4" closed stockman with wanrcliff main blade with a little belly, secondary sheepsfoot blade, spear point blade instead of the spey blade, nice maple burl handles with mokume bolsters. Something simple yet elegant that i can use, enjoy and show other people that a knfie is a tool and can be incredibly looking, not jsut a weapon. Yes, a tactical would be nice with anodized scales and still look nice, like Jeremy reynolds custom he sold in the for sale forum, but for now, i would like to see a stockman style or a single bladed warncliff slip lock or lockback! Sure hope I win!!!
biggrin.gif

Well .... being a relative "newbie" to the knife/blade hobby, I don't have any suggestions that would be helpful or inspirational in any way with regards to the design of the knife you are having made, but I will say this:

Thank-you very much for offering this "contest! Even getting the opportunity to possibly win a very special blade by a new bladesmith is quite exciting! I can't wait to see the finished product! Best wishes with it's creation! I'm sure the winner will be very proud of it .......

Terry Demeter
Metal-Demon@sk.sympatico.ca

------------------
“Belül szívem hibád az örökkévaló erõs vastartalmú sok vasaló és orvosság."

Crushing the weak since 1970 .... the Demon has spoken.

Thanks for the opportunity to win a knife made in such a great metal.

Trying to think along the lines of a classic folder, but I never had much for the lock back. At the most, I would go for the mid-back lock as featured in most Spydercos. But I would certainly prefer a well-constructed liner lock. Since it shouldn't be seeing extremely hard use, a liner lock should be more than adequate. Axis locks and similar should not be required. Blade length about 3"-3.5".

Blade style: Slight drop point with an unsharpenable false edge. Cutting side should have a slight re-curve and belly. This should be very slight. The blade shouldn't end up looking like an aggressive fighter, but the interesting lines should be hinted at. (Not sure if the advantage of a recurve will still be available in a curve so slight though). A picture paints a thousand words, so I'll try and append a drawing to this post.

The handle should preferably be of a similarly corrosion resistant material. I'm thinking either titanium or aluminum. Clean lines here as well. A groove for the index finger and a long curve reaching to the butt for the rest of the fingers. The back of the handle should curve slightly to follow the natural curve of the palm. No sharp edges. All corners and edges should be rounded off.

I'm thinking that the finish of both handle and blade should complement each other. Since the blade cannot reach mirror polish, how about a brushed metal look? Simple but elegant is what I'm thinking. And if you're feeling a little more opulence is called for, some scales in black mother of pearl should complement it nicely.

-------------
Please email me if anything requires clarification as I may not check back.

I like Taz's idea. I got plenty of "tactical" knives laying around here. I don't really care for another right now. A 2 blade whittler would be my first choice. With stainless bolsters and pins, jigged bone handles. Stainless backspring. A nice stabelized wood would work well too. My 2nd suggestion would be a small 2.5-3" liner lock. Jewled and anodized ti liner. Maybe some filework. Jeweled and anodized bolsters too mach the liners. Anodized aluminum spacers or one big anodized spacer instead of 2-3 smaller ones. Natural handle material a must. Someone earlier suggested apple or tiger coral. That gets my vote. If not, ivory or exotic wood. Those are my tastes for now. But I will take whatver I win
smile.gif

Under 4" closed. Titanium handles. Titanium liner lock (strong). Stainless pivot and fasteners.

Mainly wanted to get my name in drawing!

Dave

I like the looks of the Paul #3 Da Spike, nice cutaway bolsters. Ironwood looks good with brass.

Thanks for the giveaway!

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Back