Wingman Review and Roadtrip

M4Super90

Biochemical Superfreak
I've been intrigued by Andy's new designs. I have to admit, when I saw the first drawings I had to ask - what the hell? But, Andy is wise I the ways of handle ergonomics. After all, that’s what initially drew me to Fiddlebacks. So I recently purchased this "Wingman": 2016 0205 08 – Wingman w/ oreo burlap over black liners & yellow pinstripes, SFT convex on spalted ⅛” A2. Here’s the original picture from the Friday thread:

IMG_4261-vi.jpg

There were several factors that led to my decision, so please bear with me for a little back story. My grandfather owned a welding and machine shop. My father followed in his footsteps and did custom metal fabrication for most of his career. I spend my youth working on those shops and have always had a deep appreciation for any type of metal work and those that can transform a hunk of steel into something else with great precision. This can take many forms, but I see art in what most would consider basic machining and fabrication. I think that's one reason I have great fascination with knives in general. My grandfather use to take worn files and make his own knives. I still have one that has not been sharpened. Someday I hope to gain the skills to add a handle and finish the knife. Actually, it’s one of my retirement plans, after I’ve used my fingers for all their meaningful tasks :D (my grandfather was missing part of a pinky).

When I look at knives and consider the methods used to make them, I typically try to figure out what I would need to do to make an “M4Super90 knife” with perfect attributes for me. I emphasize, "for me", because that's really the only person I intend to satisfy. Handle functionality is key and I rank comfort as #1. Where would I start? As Louis Sullivan said, "form follows function". As an experiment, I though the best place to start would be an imprint of my grip. So I went and got some Play-Doh and made about a 2" cylinder out of it, grabbed it like a handle and squeezed a bit. You'd be surprised how similar that turned out to the handle profile of the Wingman – reason #1.

Reason #2 - I've been looking for the right KPH for quite a while now. Blaine's (swonut) photos on the cutting surface vs. the blade length we very informative (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Maverick-Big-Pictures?p=15775063#post15775063). With the blade like a KPH, 1/8 A2 and the handle test, plus the same config as my favorite Patch (which I ate some crow on - more later), I figure I'd see what the Wingman is all about.

So what’s the hesitation? Part of it is that I do not like features that force my hand into a specific position. This is true of knives as well as anything with a grip on it. Another example would be finger grooves on a pistol or rifle grip. The first thing I do on any AR15 I acquire is ditch the standard mil-spec grip with the bump below the index finger. I can’t stand it. Phil (Comprehensivist) did a very eloquent job of describing these as “hard characteristics” in post #4 of his recent Sneaky Mod thread (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1369907-Sneaky-Pete-Review-amp-Handle-Mods). In my opinion, such features limit very small shifts of the user’s hand to get into the perfect position for them. Everyone is little different. To some extent, it may limit the number of positions you can hold the object. Thus, I am conflicted. However, I love innovation so I snagged the Wingman to get some experience with the new design.

As usual, fit and finish are typical Fiddleback. The blade is exceedingly sharp from the shop. Here’s a shot in my palm. You can see where the intention is for the bottom swell to line up between your middle and ring finger. The top swell hits in the middle of the cup of your palm:

_DSC3227.JPG

With a typical 4 finger push cut hold.

_DSC3229.JPG

My first impression is it’s very comfortable. However, it’s a little small for my hand. If everything was about 10% bigger, I think it would be a complete winner as far as comfort. As an example, here it is in my wife’s hand. If the proportions were the same in my hand, it would fit like a glove.

_DSC3237.JPG

One of the things I really like is the curve in the upper side towards the rear of the handle which lines up with the fleshy pad at the base of your thumb joint.

_DSC3230.JPG

I'm not sure how I feel about the 4 finger grip, other than it's a little cramped. If I shift to a 3 finger grip, it’s actually more comfortable and this is closer to how I see myself using it. The pommel is nicely contoured and locking it between the ring finger and the pinky is quite comfortable.

_DSC3233.JPG

As I originally stated, I plan to use this just as a KPH – so lots of skinning and breaking down deer & pigs, and in that function I think it will perform exceptionally well. I normally get my index finger farther out on the blade so I have more control over the tip when skinning. It’s pretty much perfect for this, but if it was a tad larger I could do the same thing and get additional functionality from a full 4 fingered grip. Here's what my skinning grip looks like and how well the lines fit the palm in this hold.

_DSC3236.JPG

With my thumb lifted so you can see the alignment.

_DSC3235.JPG

So what the initial verdict on the Wingman? Is the handle perfect like my Play-Doh test? I haven't really made up my mind yet. It’s certainly an interesting concept. I can almost guarantee it will do exceptionally well at skinning. I also don’t think it’s fair to any design to form an opinion on a single persons review, especially considering I haven’t spent any time in the field with it. To be honest, I wasn’t initially enamored with the Patch either and after some serious use it’s become my favorite EDC. As such, I’ve asked several forum regulars to participate in a pass around so everyone could get to play with one of the new designs and provide thoughts.

Stay tuned for more photos and reviews added to this thread as the Wingman makes its way coast to coast over the next few months. I anticipate the knife will be back to me by September of this year and I will document its use while hunting this fall. Should be a great trip!

Phillip

Last edited:
Man I'm loving the review. I think a lot of these knives are waiting for users to start cutting with them before we really know. I know I am.

On the handle length. Was yours one of the three prototypes, or one of the ones with Hiking Buddy length handle. And, does the Hiking Buddy or Bushboot fit your hand about the same, length wise?

Thanks for the review!

A comparison shot with a 3/16 Camp Nessie and a 3/32 Patch in the same handle config:

_DSC3247.JPG

Man I'm loving the review. I think a lot of these knives are waiting for users to start cutting with them before we really know. I know I am.

On the handle length. Was yours one of the three prototypes, or one of the ones with Hiking Buddy length handle. And, does the Hiking Buddy or Bushboot fit your hand about the same, length wise?

Thanks for the review!

I think it was the latter version with the extra 1/2 inch. Another reason I decided to get this one. I liked one of the original prototypes in emerald Shadetree, but pondered a little too long and someone else snagged it eventually. The HB fits me about the same length but I can slide backwards on the grip comfortably because the butt curves downward instead of upward, and the HB lower swell is not as aggressive. The downward curve is also the reason the HB/Arete/BC family of handle shapes is my favorite of your lineup, with a fat BC profile working best.

Last edited:
Comparison shot with a Hiking Buddy:

_DSC3249.JPG

A couple of in-the-hand shots of the HB for relative size

_DSC3251.JPG

_DSC3252.JPG

Well... I think this review may have convinced me to at least try one of these at some point even though they aren't my favorite design. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Awesome review Phillip! That was a brilliantly simple idea to use Playdoe and squeeze it to see what a perfect handle shape for your hand should look like. Hearing that the shape of the Wingman closely resembles the result is very promising indeed. Your descriptions of how the knife feels in all the in-hand shots really make a lot of sense to me.

I'll admit that I have been a skeptic of this latest group of handle designs. They are such a departure from what I think of when I see "Fiddleback by AR" etched on a knife. This review and Blaine's (swonut) have at least peaked my curiosity. I'll bet that trailing point blade would do an excellent job skinning the Crow I might have to eat. :rolleyes: I'll try to keep an open mind pending some first hand experience with this model.

Thanks again for the nice crisp photos and a great write-up.

Phil

Super thread! (no pun intended) Thanks for the pics and review! I definitely must try one of these! It's amazing how my perception and how I view a knife changes after I see it in hand. This looks really useful!!! Good stuff!

-Will

Very nice review. I am looking forward to others thoughts and impressions as the Wingman takes it's road trip. Thanks for posting.

Great review Phillip! I too was impressed with the play doh idea. You have me intrigued on the handle. I appreciate the photo comparison of the knife in your and your wife's hands as well as the shots of you holding the hiking buddy. Those were really helpful.

The blade shape looks great for a dedicated skinner. If I was able to do more hunting then I might be able to justify having a knife like this. Maybe if I end up holding one I will feel differently.

Thanks again for the great review and I look forward to seeing other folks thoughts on the knife as it travels around the country!

Nice review Phillip! I really like the Wingman model after handling a few of them at the shop. I also like the idea of the same knife stretched out to a longer size model, similar in length to the KEB or so. I think it would make a game prep and fishing knife where larger fish were in the catch.

Fiddleback Wingman Pass-Around Evaluation #1

Intro:

The Wingman is one of a new family of designs introduced in January 2016. To say that I was skeptical of the radical new designs would be something of an understatement. Trailing point blades!?! “Bent” handles with what looked like sharp corners on the middle and back ends of the handle?!? The initial sketches and flat templates made me think that I was watching a new remake of the “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” movie starring Mr. Andy Roy. These new models just didn’t align with my paradigm of Fiddleback knives being the most ergonomic well designed knives made. I will honestly sum up my initial impression by saying that I had zero interest in buying any of the new models based on the drawings and flat templates.

I know that 2D photos don’t tell the whole story, so I was at least open to challenging my assumptions once I had a chance to check out a finished knife in all its 3D glory. I am grateful to my friend Phillip ("M4Super90") for offering this pass-around opportunity to challenge my initial assumptions. In return, I promise to keep an open mind as I evaluate this knife.

Specifications & Reference Photos:

Note: The length measurements referenced below use the top front edge of the handles as a starting point. That means handle length is from that location to the farthest point rearward and blade length is from there to the tip. The handle height measurements use the lowest respective lowest points of the handle front, middle, and back, to the relative highest point above that location.

OAL: 7.390”
Blade Length: 3.199”
Handle Length: 4.191”
Steel & Thickness: .123”
Tang Type: SFT (“Skeletonized Full Tang”)
Grind: Convex
Handle Material: Shadetree Oreo burlap with over black & yellow pinstripes
Weight (oz.): 4.2
Blade Height @ Ricasso: .920”
Handle Measurements @ Front: .933” High, .744” Wide, & 3.034” Circumference
Handle Measurements @ Palmswell: 1.055” High, .789” Wide, & 3.397” Circumference
Handle Measurements @ Back: 1.171” High, .844” Wide, & 3.628” Circumference
Distance from Front Edge of Handle to Center of Palmswell: ???
Distance from Front Edge of Handle to Balance Point: 1.532”

Comparison Photos:

The Wingman is in the same size class as the Hiking Buddy and Patch. A few distinctions about the Wingman are; a handle shape that gets progressively thicker from front to back, a relatively tall “M” shape to the bottom of the handle, slightly offset pronounced bumps on the top & bottom of the palm swell, and finally a downward bend from the middle of the handle to the pommel.

The Wingman and Osprey Raptor share similar trailing point blades.

Shown top to bottom: Hiking Buddy, Wingman, Raptor & Patch. The knives are shown with the front edges of the handles aligned.

Here is another view with the handles aligned on the back end.

The following views show how much taller the Wingman handle is than the others, particularly at the back end.

In-Hand Photos & Comments:

The top point of the palm swell rests perfectly in the center of my hand in the standard hammer grip. For reference, my hand measures 4” wide across the palm.

Here is the same view with my Raptor for comparison. The curved top of the handle feels comfortable, but note the hollow space between the center of my palm and the handle.

Here is another view of Phillip’s “skinner grip” that provides good blade control. I found the Wingman to be comfortable in this position. A similar view of the Raptor is shown below for comparison.

A variation of that grip that I use is choking up a little for a “pinch grip”. The handle feels comfortable to me in this grip.

My hands are medium to large size. If you have XL size hands or very thick fingers, you may have to slide your hand back on the handle into more of a 3-finger hold. That moves the middle bump on the handle forward out of the pocket of your palm. It also moves the back corner of the grip into the base of my palm. This is not a very comfortable grip for me.

The handle is comfortable to me in the stabbing or “ice-pick” style grip.

The reverse chest lever type grip did not work well for me because the front and back corners of the bottom of the handle were the primary contact points with my palm.

I also want to point out one other feature shown in this photo. I like the chamfered transition from the sides of the handle to the pommel. This takes away one potential hot spot in use without detracting from the looks of the knife at all.

Last edited:
Summary & Closing Thoughts:

In the end, the Wingman overcame many of my initial fears about the design. I won’t go as far as saying that I like everything about it for my personal taste, but I can see why others might prefer it to other comparable Fiddleback knives in this size range.

The features that I like about it are:

- The trailing point blade provides a nice balance of belly and pointy-ness for fish and game type uses.
- The Kukhuri inspired handle shape with top & bottom palm swell bumps, downward bend on the back half, and flared butt make this handle lock in almost perfectly in the standard hammer grip. Grips that involve choking up are also comfortable due to the forward tapering handle.
- The tall flared end of the handle helps give more pinky finger leverage and control.
- The chamfers on the butt end of the handles provide a nicer transition than sharp corners in this area.

The features that I don’t care for as much are:

- Because the handle gets progressively larger from front to back, it shifts the balance point further back than I like ideally.
- The Kukhuri inspired handle shape results in a tall “M” curve on the bottom of the handle that limits some grip options I use. Any grip options that involve moving the hand back into a 3-finger type grip will shift the back corner(s) and top palm swell bump out of their sweet spot position in your palm and turn them into uncomfortable pressure points (i.e. “hard features”.)

I think the Wingman is a worthy choice to consider if someone is looking for a Bird & Trout or small hunting type knife if the looks of the profile appeal to you. This particular knife is 1/8” A2 SFT. That is a good choice for this model, but I think 3/32” CPM 154 or A2 would be even better for these uses.

Am I going to buy one you ask? Probably not for two reasons. First, I still prefer the looks of the more classic handles on the Hiking Buddy and Patch. Second, the Bird & Trout position in my collection has been permanently filled by the Raptor. I like that one that much.

Thanks again Phillip for the opportunity to experience this new model first hand to challenge my assumptions. I also want to commend Andy for having the creative courage to introduce challenging new designs as well as updating and/or reintroducing old ones.

The knife is on its way to Tod ("Hasco") for next stop on the pass around journey followed by Nathan ("Thurin") after him.

Phil

The wingman has landed safely in Santa Cruz!!! I look forward to spending a few days with it.

That was a great review Phil!! It will be hard to add to the great reviews so far, but I will add my reflections on it soon.

Great review Phil. I wish you had a Renegade or a Maverick to try. Those handles are bigger.

Back