Winkler belt knife fails strength tests (GREAT response by Winkler)

Wow. Just took Winklers off my shopping list. I can accept that some lemons may make their way out... But the more costly the knife, the more scrutinizing I am. Thanks OP for this thread.

Wow. Just took Winklers off my shopping list. I can accept that some lemons may make their way out... But the more costly the knife, the more scrutinizing I am. Thanks OP for this thread.

Don't be so quick to judge... You completely missed Daniel's post in regards to the OP's knife.

Twindog,

Wow! what a piece of crap! First let me say if you will send me your address I'll send you a new knife. Feel free to test it too. ( I would prefer you not cut a nail, that seems a little extreme and I don't really intend this model to cut steel. If you need to cut steel I make a Rescue axe designed to cut sheet metal that would probably hold up.)

About the time that knife was made was when I implemented some new inspection and testing procedures. As with that knife, we had a few come through with similar problems. This came from some issues with heat treating. That knife was most likely made from 52-100. I found out that this particular batch needed to soak in the high temp salt for no less than 1 full hour. We had only been going for about 15 min at heat and a full run of about 10 knives came out soft. I thought we had gotten them all but I guess not. Basically you tested a knife that had an improper heat treat.

We make more knives that I can possibly do all myself. It also has taken a while to get the guy's to a point that they can recognize the possible problems that can arise that are not visual. Each blade is now checked after heat treating and before the handle goes on to assure it is up to standards. There may be one that slips through now and then but it is rare. Humans make mistakes but we are trying to eliminate all the problems we can. However when one does come up we will take care of the problem.

Daniel

Man, this shows a guy not to go into the field with an unproven/tested tool no matter what that tool might be. Everything should be harder than a nail...

You should read this thread, not just the OP. You'll see how this maker fully resolved this issue to the OP's resounding satisfaction. Good grief!

You should read this thread, not just the OP. You'll see how this maker fully resolved this issue to the OP's resounding satisfaction. Good grief!

The majority of forums (in general) are people that read short hand and give their opinions.

If all of us read the title and believed it, without further investigation, we would all think Winkler II knives are garbage. However, you and I (as well as others) are smarter than that and have found that Daniel Winkler is an upstanding person and takes his business seriously. I've quoted Daniel at the top of this page, in an attempt to grab the attention of these people, but it doesn't work very well. Just look at the post above yours and you can see what I mean.

IMO, it would be helpful if a Moderator would edit the title of this thread and point out Daniels post. As the stormtroopers would say:

tumblr_inline_nong4lkgzx1rbra2d_500.gif

IMO, it would be helpful if a Moderator would edit the title of this thread and point out Daniels post...

Mod did the right thing - contacted Dan. Giving the maker an opportunity to resolve this issue to OP satisfaction. End.

Man, this shows a guy not to go into the field with an unproven/tested tool no matter what that tool might be. Everything should be harder than a nail...

Cutting any steel is tough on most knives.

Last edited:
..... I think there are many blades available (both more and less expensive than this one) that could have dealt with this and much more mate.

Absolutely! Guy from Survive Knives repelled using a 5/32" thick 4.1 knife as an anchor. Also, look at the Hultafors destruction testing on those $10 knives.

Great service from Winkler:thumbup: He called it like we all saw it, and didn't shout claims of abuse.

To the OP, thanks for the thread. I don't understand when people rant that you should go to the manufacturer and keep failures a secret. These threads serve as a great example that even customs can have issues, always test a blade instead of taking for granted it's ready for life or death situations, and they give the company an opportunity to show their often unseen customer service. Which in this case was impressive!

Twindog,

Wow! what a piece of crap! First let me say if you will send me your address I'll send you a new knife. Feel free to test it too. ( I would prefer you not cut a nail, that seems a little extreme and I don't really intend this model to cut steel. If you need to cut steel I make a Rescue axe designed to cut sheet metal that would probably hold up.)

About the time that knife was made was when I implemented some new inspection and testing procedures. As with that knife, we had a few come through with similar problems. This came from some issues with heat treating. That knife was most likely made from 52-100. I found out that this particular batch needed to soak in the high temp salt for no less than 1 full hour. We had only been going for about 15 min at heat and a full run of about 10 knives came out soft. I thought we had gotten them all but I guess not. Basically you tested a knife that had an improper heat treat.

We make more knives that I can possibly do all myself. It also has taken a while to get the guy's to a point that they can recognize the possible problems that can arise that are not visual. Each blade is now checked after heat treating and before the handle goes on to assure it is up to standards. There may be one that slips through now and then but it is rare. Humans make mistakes but we are trying to eliminate all the problems we can. However when one does come up we will take care of the problem.

Daniel

I've had some weirdness with some 52100 lately myself. I've trashed 8 blades so far and wasted many hours. Found a new supplier.

Mod did the right thing - contacted Dan. Giving the maker an opportunity to resolve this issue to OP satisfaction. End.

That wasn't what I was getting at. I'm saying if a moderator added the quote from Daniel to the OP and changed the title saying something like "Winkler belt knife fails strength tests - See post #XX" then we wouldn't have people that read the OP and skip the rest, who shout that Winkler Knives are junk. Most people, especially on this sub-forum, read the OP and voice their opinions, which usually involves jumping to conclusions.

People who don't pay attention, won't pay attention. No amount of hand-holding will lead them to the goal.

Besides, maybe the OP could edit that in. The less moderators do, the better. You really don't want us telling you what to think.

People who don't pay attention, won't pay attention. No amount of hand-holding will lead them to the goal.

Besides, maybe the OP could edit that in. The less moderators do, the better. You really don't want us telling you what to think.

But who else is there to comfort me in my time of need!?! Knife addiction is terrible disease! :p

Done. Thanks, Esav

Im not a winkler owner, probably wont be, but only because I already have enough fixed blades. Mr. Winkler's handling of the issues is awesome and he earned my respect.

I've had some weirdness with some 52100 lately myself. I've trashed 8 blades so far and wasted many hours. Found a new supplier.

Do you think it may have been something other than 52100?

Props to Dwinkler for stepping up and helping the OP out the right way.

Back