• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Winkler Knives F-1 complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try and follow most of the posts that are about Winkler Knives on Blade Forums. Answer questions, offer advise and generally keep up with what is going on. There was a post last week that expressed some concerns about our F-1 folders. The information below is an un-edited copy of an email I received and my response.

The email:
I recently bought one of you F1 Flippers. I am the one who posted a not so nice review on blade forum. I said I would post more once I took it hunting. But I did not want to post any more bad things on line as I love your knives. But I felt you should know my experience with the knife.

I used it for just about everything from cooking to cleaning 2 deer. It was hot where I was hunting 70-80 and I was sweating . I oiled the blade (rem oil ) after each washing at night. But the blade rusted on the left side from the sweat in my BDU pocket. It rusted like the man said on blade forum in the little holes from bead blasting. By the end of the trip it was pretty bad. When I got home I removed it by using some polish cream and tooth brush. It did go through two deer with no problem and was a joy in that regard. It did all the kitchen prep cutting onions meat etc no problem and stayed sharp a long time. Cleaning was a problem so after each deer I field stripped it. One of the clip screws was close to stripped out. I am a contractor so I had both torx bits needed and pliers to help the stripped screw. I should note my bits are Apex bits which are the best you can buy not cheap bits that strip screws. Then one of the stand off screws was so stripped I had to take two off one side and one off the other. Cleaning was easy enough and putting it back together was easy too. Besides the rust and stripped screw it was a good knife and handled well. The blades should be coated to prevent rust.

My response:
First I want to thank you for your purchase and for testing the folder in an environment I have not. Your experiences and opinions are important in improving what we are offering.

It sounds like the cpm3v blade and the overall design worked well as a hunting knife. This is good information. I was pretty confident in the steel as I have used it for years for a lot of knives we have provided to US Naval Special Warfare. They too seem to like the steel.

It sounds like there are 2 primary problems with your knife. First the blade finish being no more than a blasted finish. Normally I would not have chosen this finish but I have been carrying one of the first prototypes for about 4 months as my every day carry knife. It has the sand blasted finish on cpm3v as your knife has. I have experienced no rusting at all. I also have not oiled the blade but twice when I touched up the edge. I based my decision on the finish for the F1 on my personal experience over the past few months. The problem with the screws I believe is one I have already corrected in production. I first started using Torx bits from cheap Asian imported driver sets. After a short while these bits started stripping both the bits and the screw heads. We acquired some high quality drivers and I had my assistant go back and change any screws that seemed damaged. Obviously missed some.

Here is what I would like to do. First I would like to get your knife back and either re-finish or replace it. I’ll let you choose which. What I will return will have new screws and a Caswell Black finish on the blade. This is the same finish I use on the NSW knives made from cpm3v. I am also going to change the finish on all the future Model F-1 to Caswell the same as I do on the F-1B. Hopefully this will help others in the future from having the rusting problems that you had. Cpm3v is not a stainless steel and with use rusting may occur but the Caswell finish should help.

If you don’t mind I would like to post both your un-edited letter and my response on USN and Blade Forums.

Please send your knife to the address below and whether you want a replacement or a re-finish and I’ll get on it right away.

Daniel Winkler
Daniel Winkler
199 Jefferson Road
Boone, NC 28607

If there is anyone else out there that has a similar issue I will be happy to make any repairs necessary to make your knife all that it should be.

Daniel

This was an additional email from the same guy. I feel sure he was not trying to make trouble but pass along information that might be helpful for making improvements in out knives.

As an end user of knives for 20 years on the job ( construction) and hunting camping and cooking I have owned Fowler custom made knives MS and JS knives to cheap production knives and everywhere in between looking for that holy grail knife. In all that time I have never used fixed blade knives I have liked so much as yours. Your belt knife and Bontoc are my two favorite knives all time for ergonomics and super functional design which lends them to be good at multiple tasks from game processing to bushcraft. So much so I would like a second Bontoc and I am going to buy one of your wild bill axes as soon as I can. When your folders evolve a little more I will surly try one again I think your designs have the potential to be great folding knives as good or better as any on the market.

Daniel

I wondered how his hunting trip went. Interesting to read your thoughts Mr. Winkler, nice to understand the maker.

I'm also a fan of your Belt Knife and think that blade profile will translate nicely to folders.

Appreciate your transparency. :thumbup:

Class act right here folks. Mr. Winkler knows how to care for his customers and goes completely above and beyond. It's always great to see this kind of thing, especially when so many so called makers these days display that they could not care less about their customers or reputation. That being said, I always prefer stonewashed or a nice satin finish on a knife over the blasted coating.

Moved to Feedback GBU for more appropriate discussion.

Now that is customer service. Mr Winkler, you just made a new fan and a very near future customer.

Just my $.02 on 3V...

I have a couple of excellent custom folders in 3V (my favorite steel by miles) never oil them, zero issues with rust or pitting. Neither is coated, but at the same time, neither is blasted.
I am certain I read somewhere that blasting steel causes porousness and therefor more vulnerability to rusting, even in SS steels....

Last edited:
Here is what I would like to do. First I would like to get your knife back and either re-finish or replace it. I’ll let you choose which. What I will return will have new screws and a Caswell Black finish on the blade. This is the same finish I use on the NSW knives made from cpm3v. I am also going to change the finish on all the future Model F-1 to Caswell the same as I do on the F-1B. Hopefully this will help others in the future from having the rusting problems that you had. Cpm3v is not a stainless steel and with use rusting may occur but the Caswell finish should help.

If you don’t mind I would like to post both your un-edited letter and my response on USN and Blade Forums.

Please send your knife to the address below and whether you want a replacement or a re-finish and I’ll get on it right away.
Daniel Winkler
Daniel Winkler
199 Jefferson Road
Boone, NC 28607

If there is anyone else out there that has a similar issue I will be happy to make any repairs necessary to make your knife all that it should be.

Daniel

Absolutely great customer service, and in my opinion the best way to handle it. Well done. :thumbup:

Sam

I spoke to Mr. Winkler at blade 2012, he seemed like a class act then and has proven that with his handling of this situation.

I commend you Sir for posting this for the rest of us to see.

I hope hat no matter what the owner of the knife in question picks that he ends up happy with the result.

Hi Daniel,

I'm mainly into flipper knives but guarantee when I go to buy a user I will look at your knives first. What you just did was exemplarary of first rate service and putting customers first. You didn't hide anything and addressed the issue. I commend you and you have earned my business once I am ready for a duty knife.

A+ post. How to turn a lemon into lemonade.

Daniel Winkler providing better service = Not at all surprised.

Setting the bar!

Coop

I do not have great need for a fixed blade, but I have been lusting over Mr. Winkler's knives for a while now, and as soon as funds are available, will be going after one. If I had any doubts in the past (which I didn't), I would certainly have absolutely none now. Class act!

I don't think it would be hyperbole to state that this is the best example of customer care that I have ever seen.

Having purchased a Winkler ll Utility and most recently the new F1-B Folder from Daniel (Caswell finish w/ Carbon fiber scales.. great knife!) I can tell you, first hand, that his personal attention and dedication to his customers is second to none. I thoroughly intend to buy another Winkler ll.

It would be nice if all of the feedback threads involving makers were like this one... It was really nice reading a thread where the customer had concerns, but handled it diplomatically, and the maker understood the customers concerns, and was willing to take care of it.

Mr. Winkler, What a great example of the correct way to handle an issue. Much respect to you Sir.

Mr. Winkler, I have sent you an email regarding an F1B. This post is merely a heads-up for that message.

Dan recently did a repair for me and also some extra work, communication and turn around were excellent.

Very professional. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back