WINNERS CHOSEN , PLUS DESIGNERS CHOICE BK62 sheath giveaway.

Pics added to first post.
Getting close to picking a winner or two.

I'll post another thread asking if everyone's initial order has shipped. I would like to make sure someone doesn't miss a chance by a couple days. I appreciate the entries. All 3 of these sheaths are a little different from each other and different from what I usually build. I may add a 4th sheath to the mix but with a more modern design.

Thanks again.

I have been eagerly awaiting MIB (men in brown) for my BK62 that was supposed to arrive this past Thursday. Beyond me why ANYone elects UPS :-(

Any chance to see possible 11:00 horizontal belt carry version in future?
Ill add this one as the 4th choice. Are you talking scout carry?

bikerector,
Thank you for that pic.
Very nice looking sheath!

Any chance I could trouble you for a back-side shot showing horizontal belt loops (I am guessing they may be low profile (thread through) style ...?

Ill add this one as the 4th choice. Are you talking scout carry?

Yes ..., except I typically think behind-the-back when I hear "scout carry". My comment 11:00 horizontal is in my mind positioned just left of a centrally located belt buckle, with two snap-straps for easy on/off, handle-right position.

It appears that newly posted buffalo leather fold-over version could be adapted with a pair of eyelets through the leather seam.

I personally prefer the fold-over (taco) designs in this position as it narrows the overall width closer to actual belt width, increasing mobility for me. This is my preferred location as I do not get along with danglers hanging & flopping and/or handles extending above top of belt. In this position (11:00 horizontal) I find drawing and resheathing to be very easy and safe with much less chance of ever cutting into sheath. Mobility, bending, etc. is very good and I find even on my narrow frame anything between ESEE-3 up to and including a 6 (6.5" blade), including BK-16 very workable. With loaded pack on, my hip-belt runs just below, so incorporates together for me in this position.

Pic showing 3 & 6 described above:
uc

Last edited:
bikerector,
Thank you for that pic.
Very nice looking sheath!

Any chance I could trouble you for a back-side shot showing horizontal belt loops (I am guessing they may be low profile (thread through) style ...?

Yes ..., except I typically think behind-the-back when I hear "scout carry". My comment 11:00 horizontal is in my mind positioned just left of a centrally located belt buckle, with two snap-straps for easy on/off, handle-right position.

It appears that newly posted buffalo leather fold-over version could be adapted with a pair of eyelets through the leather seam.

I personally prefer the fold-over (taco) designs in this position as it narrows the overall width closer to actual belt width, increasing mobility for me. This is my preferred location as I do not get along with danglers hanging & flopping and/or handles extending above top of belt. In this position (11:00 horizontal) I find drawing and resheathing to be very easy and safe with much less chance of ever cutting into sheath. Mobility, bending, etc. is very good and I find even on my narrow frame anything between ESEE-3 up to and including a 6 (6.5" blade), including BK-16 very workable. With loaded pack on, my hip-belt runs just below, so incorporates together for me in this position.

Pic showing 3 & 6 described above:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gfLnwzjoLLSB6qAlquFU26H-84DMLhih/view?usp=drivesdk

Scout carry and horizontal carry are all the same except that the knife is placed at the back, 6:00. Generally, this is drawn by the hand that will use it on the side it will be used from, as opposed to cross-draw. It's like using a "left-hand" hand crossdraw but putting it on the right side, so to speak. This is how I have my sheaths setup because I like to draw the knife from the same side as my hand. I find resheathing easier this way and drawing isn't too hard either. Some interference with the arm can occur for things like having the knife in this position while using a machete, in which case I'll move the sheath to the scout carry position as I wear a riggers belt that sits outside of my belt loops for ease of removal and movement.

Makael Makael that old style dangler looks really nice. Not to say the others don't, that one sticks out a big. You do nice work :thumbsup:

h8Ib1XDl.jpg

Scout carry and horizontal carry are all the same except that the knife is placed at the back, 6:00. Generally, this is drawn by the hand that will use it on the side it will be used from, as opposed to cross-draw. It's like using a "left-hand" hand crossdraw but putting it on the right side, so to speak. This is how I have my sheaths setup because I like to draw the knife from the same side as my hand. I find resheathing easier this way and drawing isn't too hard either. Some interference with the arm can occur for things like having the knife in this position while using a machete, in which case I'll move the sheath to the scout carry position as I wear a riggers belt that sits outside of my belt loops for ease of removal and movement.

h8Ib1XDl.jpg

RE: "Scout carry and horizontal carry are all the same except that the knife is placed at the back, 6:00. "

I would respectfully disagree with that from my experience. While I would agree that some scout carry style sheaths could be worn in multiple positions, this is not true of "all" (at least in my mind). Additionally, in my mind "scout carry" has always specifically meant SOB (small of back), strong-side draw. The design goals limited to those prerequisites vs. the application of my interests.

This is the reason I did not initially just say scout carry or scout carry "style", and elaborated detailing a few specifics.

Couple examples (from my perspective):
1) Belt Straps:
How and where sheath belt straps are located. Is the overall package short enough that the strap near ricasso/handle transition can be outside or left of 11:00 belt-loop (my BK-16 & ESEE-3 examples) or need to be right of belt-loop for longer blades (like my 6.5" blade described). In my mind 6:00 is much less sensitive to this as the narrow gap between belt buckle & first loop is not a factor, because typically at 6:00 the knife/sheath are more or less centered and belt loops are positioned further apart allowing more positioning options. Are straps in permenant location (like your example), precluding the option to move from 6:00 to 11:00 (or vice-versa) without inverting the knife in the transition.

2) Snaps & Fasteners:
How snaps and/or fasterners (SF) are located relative to being exposed & un-intentionally caught/snagged and opened (yes, this has happened to me). If SF are facing out, they are much more susceptible to accidental opening & possible loss :-( This is a grievance I have with the leather sheath in my photos above. In 5:00 scout carry the belt-sheath straps SF face in and are thereby protected, but the handle strap SF faces outward (what most might typically want I would guess ...) and is susseptable to catching and unintentional opening. When in my described 11:00 horizontal the handle strap SF is protected against body (which I like) but belt straps SF are exposed. I understand this may also differ if straps that surround belt and sheath 360° and overlap at SF (with extra thickness) vs. the one in my photo where the strap is more taco (does not wrap the bottom and overlap at SF).

3) Any accessory attachments (fire-steel, sharpening stone/rod, etc.) may not easily transition from 6:00 to 11:00 for same reasons mentioned above. BTW, I am not really an accessory attachment guy.

Unfortunately, have yet to meet a maker that uses (or knows what are) one way snaps :-(

I think there are a few simple solutions to the issues I have mentioned, they begin with awareness from use (not that my use is any more significant than anyone else's, but they are MY experiences), but it is my guess most would not care as they are happy with the generics of "scout" carry or scout "style" as it works for them much the same as most are happy with a knife that simply cuts as they believe that's all a knife 'need' do, and a sheaths job is simply to carry a knife safely. Buried there are some of why I bought this BK62 (it appears to be packed with subtle details (lost or unrealised by most) that from decades of field use I know I will appreciate). Let's just hope the handle is not too short for me (my historic preclusion to Becker's generally), and that blade is actually 5" long.

Sorry for the long post, and any that get lost/sleepy in my details ;-)

Last edited:
I think I owe another picture to this thread for starting an off-topic discussion.
5y5Jz3dl.jpg

TZKjpK3l.jpg

EEj4BmGl.jpg

First knife finally arrived late tonight. Updated post #38 above accordingly.

Thanks Makael for a great thread. Sheaths have been on my mind since I placed my knife order.

Oh wow! Too cool!
I was really hoping I’d win one of these awesome sheaths.
THANK YOU so much Makael! This was a very generous giveaway on your part.
Congrats to the other winners!

I’ll contact you after Boss1911 and DonW pick a sheath.

Thanks again!!

Congrats to the winners! Thank you Makael for the Generous GAW :thumbsup:

Decided to do 3 GAW ...
OMG that's awesome.

Hat's off to Makael !!

Congratulation to the winners ;-)

Wow, I can’t thank you enough. While I really like all of your designs and your craftsmanship is top notch. The 2nd design listed, the slip sheath really speaks to me for this knife. It's the one I would like to pair with the BK62 that my Beautiful wife has wrapped up for me and hidden under the Christmas tree...

Thank you again.

Brian

Last edited:
Back