Winter backpacking- wood processing saws/axes?

Smithhammer,

It was Fareinheight

A fire in the winter is woinderful

I was solo long distance snowshoeing point to point carrying all my gear
And the energy I would have needed to collect and start and maintain a fire on 5 feet of snow was just too much
It was faster and warmer (with a candle burning) to dig a snow trench and sleep in that

I find it a little silly that people are making such a point of "I don't need an axe or a saw to winter camp." I've done lots of winter camping without a fire. And you know what? Fires are awesome. I LOVE coming back from a day of bitter cold hunting to a warm campfire.

Do I need it? Of course not - I could rely completely on a bunch of hi-tec gear to make it through the night, and I've done so many times. But here's the difference for me in those situations - it's winter, and it's dark by 5pm. It's not going to get light again till 6 or 7am. And it's -20 out. I can either climb into my sleeping bag and hunker for the next 12 hours, or I can get a fire going and we can be hanging out, eating, drinking and being comfortably warm until a reasonable hour to go to bed. I'll take the latter any day. Not because I need to, but because it makes winter camping much nicer and more fun, imo.

To each his own, but the OP was asking about lightweight wood-processing options...

I don't think anybody has said that an optional fire is wrong (unless wood harvesting is unsustainable or not allowed) or un-fun.

Just a reminder, here is what the OP wrote (in part):

Had a real interesting experience this weekend on an overnight hunt in 5f/-15c. Got in the woods around 5pm and had an incredibly vigorous 5 hour snowshoe up some very steep mountainous terrain with some very heavy packs(for dudes that arent in USMC shape or anything resembling it). left us pitching camp late and wanting a big ol' blaze of a fire to warm us up and keep burning into the night.

Processing firewood in the wild with our pretty gansfors axes was a chore! And being that exhausted from working hard at high altitude was killer. It freaked me out being that tired and throwing the large head of the full size axe around. The smaller axe was safer when used kneeling but tedious/tiring for sectioning.

I'll never go out in serious winter without a folding saw again- jurys still out on whether I baton the sections with a small axe or use a prybar survival blade.

What do you folks find works as a BACKPACKABLE winter wood-processing solution?

Here's the thread re-cap as I see it. I, and several others, said that our approach for a "backpackable winter wood-processing solution" is to not rely on wood processing and, instead, to rely on tent, sleeping bag and stove to stay safe and warm.

Several people claimed this was not possible and one asked for pictoral proof that one can winter camp with no fire, which was provided in spades.

The OP wasn't in camp by 5pm. His party left the trailhead at 5pm, hiked 5 hours under heavy packs, which put them in camp at 10pm in deep dark and deep cold with fire being (it would seem) a necessity and not just an entertaining option. IMO, that's not just inefficient, it's flirting with disaster.

As I've said numerous times, this shouldn't be an either/or debate. It should be a both/and solution. IMO, a good outdoorsman should be equally knowledgeable in both fire craft and stove craft. In a situation like the OP described, it's just as important to discuss adequate clothing, sleep systems and shelter as it is to talk about wood processing tools, ATMO.

Pinnah -

I think the point that it is possible to winter camp without fires was abundantly made, even prior to 3 pages worth of pics of winter camping. The tone of some of the responses also seemed a little condescending against those in favor of fires - i.e, if you need a fire then you don't really know how to winter camp, which is obviously entirely untrue.

I agree with you that, given the time and physical state of the OP and his party upon arriving in camp, getting warm inside shelter and a good sleeping bag with a quick warm meal on a stove would be the prudent thing to do.

Just felt to me like the thread strayed a great deal from the OP's ultimate question: "What do you folks find works as a BACKPACKABLE winter wood-processing solution?" But no worries - I was just trying to get it back on track as I saw it.

Nod. Tone is tough on forums.

There IS a bit of judgement which is unavoidable here though. If a person I the OP's situation NEEDS to build a fire because they lack the equipment or knowledge to stay warm without a fire, then they would be safer to get the stuff and learn the skills. Going in the other direction, if modern no-impact camper has a stove failure or gets seperated from their pack, they would be well served to be able to start a fire with what is on their person. (IME, most modern campers would fail this).

Two sides of the same coin. So, the judgement/condesention cuts both ways.

Fully agreed. Stoves fail, and on the hand, wood can be tough to find when its under three feet of snow. Good to always have options, esp. in serious winter conditions.

Say Hrah Guys and Galls, I really think bigger is better in the winter. Minimum my 24" Wood Craft Concil Axe is the one I go for because it's easier to transport or I would take my chainsaw seriously heh heh heh, I also like my Bob's Buck Saw that nut less and wingless so you don't have to loose any thing like that to put it together after you shape the handle with alittle sanding and filling, it can handle big jobs, or I use my Silky Bigboy 2000. For Scouting when the weather turns warmer in the spring it's back to carting on person my Fav's Wicked Tough Saw. But if you don't have a problem carrying a 26"+ axe then bigger is better and even a Carpenters saw, I'm not kiddong, I hate getting that cold and in real life processing wood when your that cold can be a problem not just for me but I see everybody shiver. So my minimum again is atleast my Silky Bigboy 2000 the yellow one and my Wood Crat 24" Axe that pretty near close is about from my armpit to a cupped hand long. But I think it would be more true and exact sizing from your crotch to the ground. Fellas, don't think the cold shouldn't scare you, It can kill.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Say Hrah Guys and Galls, I really think bigger is better in the winter. Minimum my 24" Wood Craft Concil Axe is the one I go for because it's easier to transport or I would take my chainsaw seriously heh heh heh, I also like my Bob's Buck Saw that nut less and wingless so you don't have to loose any thing like that to put it together after you shape the handle with alittle sanding and filling, it can handle big jobs, or I use my Silky Bigboy 2000. For Scouting when the weather turns warmer in the spring it's back to carting on person my Fav's Wicked Tough Saw. But if you don't have a problem carrying a 26"+ axe then bigger is better and even a Carpenters saw, I'm not kiddong, I hate getting that cold and in real life processing wood when your that cold can be a problem not just for me but I see everybody shiver. So my minimum again is atleast my Silky Bigboy 2000 the yellow one and my Wood Crat 24" Axe that pretty near close is about from my armpit to a cupped hand long. But I think it would be more true and exact sizing from your crotch to the ground. Fellas, don't think the cold shouldn't scare you, It can kill.

Infact, As long as there's a fire, I could cook a steak right on the hot coals that can save your life and melt snow to drink filtered, But that cold brrrrrrrrrrrr, gimme a hog Olé axe and a saw, later give me a violin bow and I'll play you to sleep heh heh heh Just joking he he he

pinnah hit the nail on the head. I don't burn a fire in the woods unless "car camping". and it has been a long time since I car camped (when my now adult children were little).

Have I ever needed a fire while camping? Only once due to a foolish error on my part trying to cross a stream in December. Slipped & almost went over a waterfall. Was soaked in single digit weather so I went ahead and made camp and started a fire.

Do I want a fire while camping? Hell yeah. Nothing better than sitting around a campfire with friends, roasting marshmallows, sipping some bourbon, playing cards, and telling tall tales into the night.

And getting back on track:

I have used the same Sven Saw since the late 80s. At the time I was doing a lot of backpacking and the Sven Saw the lightest and most compact saw I knew of at the time. Worked well enough, but I hated fiddling with it to put it together. So now I am looking at the Bahco and Silky saws. Most of my camping trips now are overnight or weekends at most. So more saw pics & recommendations and less debating the need of fire. Though the wilderness and camping pics can continue :)

I guess it depends on what you consider packable and how big the wood your process is. Personally, I bring my Junglas, 24 inch bucksaw and my GB ScFA. Extra weight, but covers everything I need. Outside of winter, I use the Junglas and a bahco laplander.

if the op is asking about equipment changes, then by necessity, he's also asking about people's experiences with other techniques or approaches.

Relying on a stoves *is* an answer to the backpackable solution for wood processing question.

Different groups will approach these things differently. It's entirely fine if a group is 100% committed to a fire as a part of the fun.

It's another thing to bet your life and the life of the team on a fire and yet again another thing to think about the life or death question either with or without the knowledge that there are alternatives.

There's no need for fires in the winter. Unless it's the only approach one is aware of. My reading of the ops post is that we're relying on the fire. Imo, that's both legitimate and risky.

Fwiw, stoves are no silver bullet. Stove craft is much of a skill to be mastered as fire craft. Imo, this is best thought of as both/and, not either/or.

Here's the thread re-cap as I see it. I, and several others, said that our approach for a "backpackable winter wood-processing solution" is to not rely on wood processing and, instead, to rely on tent, sleeping bag and stove to stay safe and warm.

Several people claimed this was not possible and one asked for pictoral proof that one can winter camp with no fire, which was provided in spades.

The OP wasn't in camp by 5pm. His party left the trailhead at 5pm, hiked 5 hours under heavy packs, which put them in camp at 10pm in deep dark and deep cold with fire being (it would seem) a necessity and not just an entertaining option. IMO, that's not just inefficient, it's flirting with disaster.

As I've said numerous times, this shouldn't be an either/or debate. It should be a both/and solution. IMO, a good outdoorsman should be equally knowledgeable in both fire craft and stove craft. In a situation like the OP described, it's just as important to discuss adequate clothing, sleep systems and shelter as it is to talk about wood processing tools, ATMO.

There IS a bit of judgement which is unavoidable here though. If a person I the OP's situation NEEDS to build a fire because they lack the equipment or knowledge to stay warm without a fire, then they would be safer to get the stuff and learn the skills. Going in the other direction, if modern no-impact camper has a stove failure or gets seperated from their pack, they would be well served to be able to start a fire with what is on their person. (IME, most modern campers would fail this).

Two sides of the same coin. So, the judgement/condesention cuts both ways.
Yes. BOTH skills are mandatory imo. At least if one is going to winter camp.

Bingo!

Last edited:
Have I ever needed a fire while camping? Only once due to a foolish error on my part trying to cross a stream in December. Slipped & almost went over a waterfall. Was soaked in single digit weather so I went ahead and made camp and started a fire.

Do I want a fire while camping? Hell yeah. Nothing better than sitting around a campfire with friends, roasting marshmallows, sipping some bourbon, playing cards, and telling tall tales into the night.

And getting back on track:

I have used the same Sven Saw since the late 80s. At the time I was doing a lot of backpacking and the Sven Saw the lightest and most compact saw I knew of at the time. Worked well enough, but I hated fiddling with it to put it together. So now I am looking at the Bahco and Silky saws. Most of my camping trips now are overnight or weekends at most. So more saw pics & recommendations and less debating the need of fire. Though the wilderness and camping pics can continue :)

what size wood are you planning on cutting? for logs as big as 8" in diameter or winter i've come to really like my bob dustrude quick buck saw. 21" long blade and there's only two main separate pieces so no fiddling with wing nuts and all that.

096_019_zpshcpwzv5o.jpg

106_006_zpsshxw748h.jpg

if you want a bahco laplander size then go with a silky...i've used several laplanders for years and recently switched to silky since it's incredibly fast and effortless.

silky_pocket_boy_170_super_accel_210_zps6y15gawu.jpg

I've always been a saw and baton guy but recently got in to using axes. My two are the Wetterlings Bushman axe and the Gransfors Bruk Wildlife Hatchet. Both work great but if I'm hoofing it for long distances I'll take the Wildlife hatchet and leave the Bushman for short trips and car camping.

Gransfors4_zpsx9lxyieq.jpg

Back