• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Woes associated with ordering GEC #89 Fruit Knife...well, that was a surprise!

TheJon

Gold Member
I reserved one in chestnut just because I want to check it out. I feel like it's been a while since we've had a stainless run?

I’m intrigued. I was hiking when I heard the early reserve notification and logged in to get on standby for the glow in the dark and chestnut.

On standby, oddly when I got the notification I was pruning a fruit tree. Normally I wouldn't put in for a pattern unless I knew i'd like it, but I've been on a gardening and agricultural knives kick lately.

I just now saw I missed the notification. I might still try to pickup a glow, or chestnut. I like the apples and oranges, but know I wouldn't like if I got one with a seam in the cover. Looking at the pictures on GEC's site, there is a good possibility I would end up with one.

I’m not especially excited for this one, but put in for the reserve to at least give it a shot. I don’t want to regret passing on it like I did the 29, 35 and 86.

How long between reservation and when these are available? I was able to reserve an 89 and it’s my first time ordering through CK

I just now saw I missed the notification. I might still try to pickup a glow, or chestnut. I like the apples and oranges, but know I wouldn't like if I got one with a seam in the cover. Looking at the pictures on GEC's site, there is a good possibility I would end up with one.
I am guessing the glow will have seams, too. Doesn't matter to me, but if you hate seams, make sure you check that out before plunking down your shekels.

How long between reservation and when these are available? I was able to reserve an 89 and it’s my first time ordering through CK

Based on GEC's blog, they started shipping #89s on April 16. Definitely some variables there (did they all go out at once, how long does CK need to inventory the order, etc.), but I don't think it'll be long now. :)

I am guessing the glow will have seams, too. Doesn't matter to me, but if you hate seams, make sure you check that out before plunking down your shekels.
I'm pretty sure the GID will be seam free. The seams appear to be associated with the recent run of Dead Skunk acrylic, since the apples and oranges acrylic is a modified dead skunk with orange paint applied to the bottom, it has the obvious seams. I guess the real question is if its an actual seam or a change in the acrylic production process resulting in breaks and straight acrylic color lines? Either way these recent run on acrylics are not as nice as those seen in the past.

What was the surprise? There were no woes?

My original thread was about being surprised that GEC did another stainless run, and of this model. A moderator peeled out all the posts about the ordering process and turned them into this thread. The thread title doesn't quite fit here. ;)

My original thread was about being surprised that GEC did another stainless run, and of this model. A moderator peeled out all the posts about the ordering process and turned them into this thread. The thread title doesn't quite fit here. ;)
That makes more sense.

Back