Wood and Leather Tactical.

I can't tell you ,Sir ,how pleased I am .I love them .Now I won't be able to sleep till I get them.These will be my Christmas present.:D
I am gonna test the knives before the New Year and give you a feedback .Now I need only a chopper ,maybe a sierra machete ,a few leukus and some neckers.:D
Thank you ,Sir.ALL THE BEST:thumbup:

The thing that's been coming back into my head all day since your first post is a gaucho done like the modern seax pattern I do- this one is a 5.5 inch blade. I'm picturing it lengthened out to 7 or 7.5, with deeper edge drop, and an elongated and more rounded (in cross section) handle. Possibly even stick tang (I usually do my stick tangs through the butt plate and peened over)

I like it. I'd prefer the point to be a bit more acute, though, with a bit more belly. Although that may just be personal preference, I dunno.

James

Well, we'll see how the first attempt comes out. I thin it will have to have a bit more belly, in keeping with the length. I want to keep the top lines, if i bring them down just right it may end up being a bit of an elongated spearpoint

Yah- I've seen a LOT more 3/32 lately than when I started. I felt for a very long time like I was bucking an unbuckable trend, along with Bryan and some of the other WSS regular knifemakers.

110-preview-1.jpg

this knife is waaay cool christof.... i love it... :eek: i'm a sucker for natural micarta..:D

i do have a few 3/32 blades, but i tend to prefer a little bt of a thicker blade.... 1/8 seems to be just right for me... not too thick not too thin... it's a good working thickness...

Man, I love the 'tactical' knife you posted. A bit smaller and it would make a heck of a boot knife too. A guard would be useful.

Truth be told though, I have no idea what a 'tactical knife' is. There is such little need for a fighting knife on the modern battlefield, and much greater potential use for a utility blade. A pure fighting knife makes little practical sense.

Anyway, who wouldn't rather be armed with a machete or garden spade than an Applegate-Fairbairn fighter in hand-to-hand combat?

In reality, almost any knife can be used as an improvised weapon. Make my 'tactical' knife something useful and comfortable.

Last edited:
I'm working on one 9 inch spanish dirk variant for a BF member, and I'm working hard on deciding the right design for a field one. I'm working off a 7-8 inch design idea.

I don't know if tactical means combat, either.

An 8" 'field dirk' would be too cool.

That knife has seriously sweet lines. Man, I'm in trouble.

did you get mail yet?

Let's see, I have a non ordered large dirk in process...... :D

I really want to get the field dirks going. working on the handle details. might break my own rules and do an index finger thing.

No mail. :(

I'm very interested in a field dirk.

Why? I have no idea.

That's the problem with knives.

Do you see some Moorish inflence in that design?

Last edited:
This gets....complicated.

Part of the complication comes from so much of the material I can find being written about spanish dirks or colonial knives coming from historians whose specialty lies elsewhere. What we know as a spanish dirk or the most direct descendants- the gaucho knives- seems to have been called a mediterranean dirk, peasant knife, I've even seen references to the pattern being of nore northern western european use.

Certainly there is a moorish influence, but finding details that are reliable is hard.

Several things about the general pattern have always appealed to me. I like the single edge design, the versatile blade profile, and the edge drop of the style. With or without a guard proper, it's a very handy knife for general use as well as flesh poking.

I've been wanting to make a more military knife for a while now. While a couple of leuku pattern blades have gone to the sandbox, I've wanted to do something that has the proper feel for a combat knife if need be. But I agree, and generally don't see why people outside of certain specialties would be best served by a pure combat knife that's not really useful in general.

The field dirk is where I'm going with my own personal answer to that. I'm still sorting out the handle specifics, as I said. I also need to deal with the blade itself. I'm partial to something with a rather full distal taper, going from 3/16 down to near nothing all along the length of the blade. I would prefer to keep a convex grind, but can see doinga scandi variant at some point. I doubt I'll get sucked into serrations, or anything really weird.

Let's see, I have a non ordered large dirk in process...

Any details on the aforementioned knife? Not that I would....

I've been thinking more about the idea of a tactical knife. I'm thinking longer is better. Within reason. Keeping weight in mind.

Aside from size, the ability to rapidly access and use the knife will be a key feature. Obviously a fixed blade will have an edge here. But the sheath design also becomes important. I don't think a pouch sheath is ideal for a speedy draw. Something where you can get a good grip on the handle and then release the knife would be better.

Well, lemme go look at my projects....

I've got another swordlike one in process- right now it looks like about 20 inches OAL with a 5.25 inch handle. I might pull the handle out to 5.5. It's nominally 3/16 L6. The butt is a bit more "coffin" or "dogbone" handled that the first one. more like barberphobic's machete chopper handle:

128-1.jpg

But I might do this one in ipe. Not sure yet.

Another looks like it's going to kalama- about 17.75 OAL, though I haven't forged out the tip yet so it has a +/- factor depending on how the balance and lines come out. That one will be 5.5 to 6 inch handle. Also more traditional type. I'm using the 8670m for this one, fantastic steel and heat treats great for me. (he's getting one in this basic pattern, even if it's not this particular chunk of steel.)

Then there's two in 5160 I'm just starting on. Both intended to be about 12 inches, with 7 to 8 inch blades. I might draw that out a bit, I'm thinking 9 is really close to the ideal, but we'll see.

hopefully I'll have WIP photos soon!

Aside from size, the ability to rapidly access and use the knife will be a key feature. Obviously a fixed blade will have an edge here. But the sheath design also becomes important. I don't think a pouch sheath is ideal for a speedy draw. Something where you can get a good grip on the handle and then release the knife would be better.

I agree, have you seen the "snappy" sheaths that I do sometimes?

I was looking at my Kabar USMC fighting knife (now about 24 years old). That one is about 7" long. The venerable Kabar has obviously served well, so maybe 7" would be alright.

But then I get to thinking about Highland dirks with 14-18" blades...back when a knife was for real. Or the traditional tanto which had a blade around 12". I once got to use a Masai knife in Kenya for a while--that baby had a blade that was about 14" or 15" long IIRC. The Masai knife is a straight, double-edged blade with an obtuse spear point. It gets used for everything from warfare to bushcrafting to dispatching intemperate lions.

My point is that no matter where you go, 'tactical knives' have some size to them. No need to reinvent the wheel. So I'd agree that 9" is probably a good compromise between size/weight and combat effectiveness.

I think I'd be all over a 9" Spanish dirk. Yeah.

Edit:

Koyote Girl said: I agree, have you seen the "snappy" sheaths that I do sometimes?

I agree that that design would be better for a tactical sheath. You make some really nice looking sheaths BTW. :thumbup:

I'm gonna try and get Sierra to do a more diagonal retaining strap, like on my auto pistol holster :)

The thing about the snappy strap is that with a larger blade like this, the knife "wants" to be in the sheath, so you can pop the snap in advance if you know you're in a spot.

9 inches feels pretty good. 14 inches feels REALLY good, but 7 just isn't feeling right in the mockups. Tha kabar (and my old military field knife, a sog government) do seem a bit short on the blade. There is a place for big blades, and this is definitely one of them.

Thats a great looking blade bro. I like the scales alot. Leather is always top notch on your stuff.

Back