Wood and Leather Tactical.

It's gotta be my prettiest modern seax yet. That cocobolo was just sorta sitting there begging for me to use it. The knife itself is off to spain, and now I have a few more on order, one nice exotic.

that one went to a forumite in AZ along with a matching leuku pattern. I thought I put it up on a for sale thread. I should do more of them:thumbup:

5.5 ounces, 9.5 OAL and a 5 inch blade. .095 15N20, convex double edge, stainless fittings on a tan canvas micarta handle. Nice full thickness- I almost always use 3/8 inch micarta.

I'm currently trying to track down the mythical .120 15N20 stock, because I'd like to do more of these a bit thicker. Or I could try and find another similar steel- 8670m and L6, of course. I just love the 15N20. M2 might be a nice one to try out if the 15N20 sources dry up.

Yep and that knife is in the woods conducting counter Narcodic missions Weekly. Just where she should be ;)

It is an ideal design for me as a back up on my gear. I like being to snap cut and back cut with the same grip. The 1/3 double edge is ideal for a Philipino grip which I favor. I would prefer a slight single guard. But she handles great and carries light as a feather in my home made kydex. No complaints here.

we just got a sheet of kydex to experiment with!

I'd thought of a bit more dropout for the front but my own carpet bundle stabbing tests it seemed more secure than any of my tactical folders and I wasn't sure how it would work out with a low profile sheath. (Admittedly, koyote girl's nuclear conflict proof sheaths aren't always low profile, but they are sturdy!)

Yep and that knife is in the woods conducting counter Narcodic missions Weekly. Just where she should be ;)

It is an ideal design for me as a back up on my gear. I like being to snap cut and back cut with the same grip. The 1/3 double edge is ideal for a Philipino grip which I favor. I would prefer a slight single guard. But she handles great and carries light as a feather in my home made kydex. No complaints here.

Nice to see it is doing it's job and being enjoyed. Looking forward to seeing mine up close and personal. I really like that style blade.
Don

142-1.jpg

142-2.jpg

142-3.jpg

142-4.jpg

142-5.jpg

This Seax Is "Beautiful ! !" Real Nice job on this one Christof, This would look even Better with a 7" Blade maybe even 9" Blade and In my Collection, What a Beauty !

And this one here, I like this Beauty, Again In the 7" to 9" Blade, I Like Big Knive's !

24mvu51.jpg

Last edited:
9 inches I may try out soon.

With 9" Blade's and I'll even go with Ipe Wood Scale's, I'm In for each Knife pictured above the Modern Seax and the BackWood's "And I agree Wood and Leather" Combat/Tactical Style Blade, These are Nice !

"Christof AKA Koyote Wrote----Quote-I hear often that I have a rustic, or even period trapper look to my knives. And there's truth to that- it is in large part intentional. But the designs are most often modern."

Christof the above Quoted Text, Is why when I first seen your Knive's and the "Old School Style" of your Work/Knive's that really caught my eye !

Like I said the above Knive's the Seax and the Wood and Leather Tactical style, Both with 9" Blade's 9" Cutting Edge" 14 1/2" Total Length, Both In Ipe Wood but with the same Handle design as the Seax I just got from ya "I think It has a Better Grip to It !", In the picture below, You can E-Mail me with the price quote's for both Knive's and we'll get this Order worked out,

qporad.jpg

Last edited:
here's a micarta and leather tactical-

207-1.jpg

207-2.jpg

207-3.jpg

Blade is right around 3.50 and the handle is slightly over that. nice grip, good feel. A very short tanto profile blade. The sheath is completely ambidextrous horizontal carry and wax boiled.

This one is an order, when I get around to it (getting a bit busy right now) I may make some more of these, I like it a lot and want to try out long term a horizontal carry small EDC myself.

Okay, the sheath isn't completely cleaned up yet. I may get more pics of it after I finish wiping off the excess wax....

okay here's GatorBane. :D

piggyback set, large modern style langseax, firesteel, the whole nine yards. Walnut and brass fittings on the hardware, all peened.

211-212-0004.jpeg

211-212-0002.jpeg

211-212-0005.jpeg

211-212-0006.jpeg

211-212-0007.jpeg

211-212-0009.jpeg

That Is a Real Nice Set of Knive's, You did a Great Job on them Christof, And Koyote Girl's Piggyback Sheath Is UNREAL !

okay here's GatorBane. :D

piggyback set, large modern style langseax, firesteel, the whole nine yards. Walnut and brass fittings on the hardware, all peened.

211-212-0004.jpeg

Awesome work, Christof and Sierra. I love it! This one definitely deserves a name, so GatorBane it is. Two months ago, we had a 10' gator just hanging out in the median in the middle of town catching some sun. Both the City and County animal control said they weren't moving him. So, he stayed there until he decided to get back in the water. Gators, bears, and monkeys usually make an appearance 3-4 times a year. There's all kinds of crazy things running wild down here.

I like the name GatorBane, If I was face to face with a Ten Foot Gator I would at least want a Langseax ! What's the Total Length of the Langseax and the Blade Length ? And what kind of Wood did you use for the Scale's ? That's a Nice Set of Knive's, Koyote & Koyote Girl this Combo Is sure nuff a "Work Of Art !

Oh, hey, yah- I keep forgetting to catch up on email. The shock cord on the firesteel I think is the best way to keep them secure.

Oh, hey, yah- I keep forgetting to catch up on email. The shock cord on the firesteel I think is the best way to keep them secure.

It's a great idea. With the pictures, I was thinking how did he get that cord around the other end of the steel?

Christof, I think the scandi that goes with GatorBane has a good tactical grip. It's comfortable and stable in the 4 grip orientations. It's a good sized knife, too.

To build a tactical around that handle shape, with a little thicker steel, a drop point without a false edge, a tad bit more guard, some jimping, a grippy handle material, and subdued, non-reflective colors, and it would be perfect to me.

It is fairly close to my "EDC Spearpoint" design, whcih is supposed to be a lightweight EDC tactical blade. The handle is certainly the same- I do vary how much I take it forward into a guard with the knife on an individual basis.

I'm looking for the ideal steel to use for these in a grinding setup- I can forge down 1084 stock, but the time involved is a lot. I really don't want to move to O1. I can get the same performance I am now out of 1084 with a bit of change in the tempering cycles..... 1/8 and 5/32 would be nice for this blade type, heading up to 3/16 feels like too much to me (or I'd use the 8670M in a hearbeat)

Back