Woodcraft/Utility Knife Challenge

Wow, you got boned on the ergonomics score.

If You had made the handle 1/4" longer you would have taken second place.

Yup, I think if Ban had made the handle slightly longer he would have kicked my but in the final scores....

Yup, I think if Ban had made the handle slightly longer he would have kicked my but in the final scores....

Bruce,

You are too modest. You make a awesome knife buddy. You clearly understand edge geometry and have lots of field experience. The knife you submitted was perfectly executed.

Guys,

Keep in mind that handle ergonomics is a very personal thing. Give the same knives to 3 other guys and the results may be completely different. I am just happy to see that the BT4 held up in the performance department.

I would never critique. The testers. Good on them. But I know knives. And I know alot about the BT4. Since I purchased the first proto in 2008. In CPM 3v. And had a hand in manufacturing them for a long while. Not to mention doing the Heat Treat on the A2 myself on the original knives. Its a sick knife. I don't need one chart to tell me that. Damn. These are knives not stuff going on a space mission. Dude.

Yep, Jeremy knows the BT4 better than most ;)

Dude, I will make sure to stop by your booth at Blade. We have some catchin up to do.

Guys,

... Give the same knives to 3 other guys and the results may be completely different. ....

I agree Ban - different testers and the final scores (that were very, very close) could easily come out different.

I would love to spend a day in your shop learning how you sharpen knives and blade finish.....
A day with Andy Roy doing handles.....
A day with Rick forging....
A day (or 3) with Ray making bowies/slip joints/liner locks....
A day with Koyote on sheaths...
A day hunting & talking knives with Nick...

I have never seen so much data. / HORSESHIT. All this time. And energy. And the sharpest knife doesn't win. Because it isn't a Mora. Lol
First off this wasn't a cutting competition it was a woodcraft knife competition.
I don't know you or your experience level with anything outdoors. I do see you are quite opinionated and there's nothing wrong with that as I am also. I do however try not to offend anyone with my opinions, and your comment is quite offensive to me as I broke my ass testing these knives in temps well below freezing. I have seen plenty of sharp knives that could cut paper with ease, but couldn't cut wood for nothing. Obviously Ban's knife was a great cutter, little things kept it from winning. IMO the handle is comfortable but lacks the length needed for leverage in power cutting. If you look at Rick's knife the handle had plenty of length and I was able to get leverage to power through small branches. His knife as well as the Culberson knife also had a slight curve from tip to ricasso which aids in slicing through material. Those sliced through 1 inch branches a little better than Ban's knife.

The BT-4 was not designed as a Bushcraft knife, however it worked great in all tasks. I can only guess why Ban entered this competition. My guess is he wanted feed back on his knife from guys who spend allot of time outdoors and he wanted to see how his knife did against some other great makers. I feel those questions were answered.

The outcome of the testing is based 100% on opinion not fact. If anyone doesn't agree with the outcome of the competition that's fine, but to call our work "horseshit" is not called for and just sounds like cry baby bullshit. Oh, and I hate Mora's.

Lol. On my next post. I said I would never critique the testers. Good on u. ... I would have come in last place
sorry you we're offended. I know nothing about knives. The horseshit in question was the data sheets that looked like some kind of map for shuttle re-ENTRY. LOL. you should not take me so serious. Im just a drunk that gets lucky and happens to make it thru making a few knives before I scrap them out. No harm. Intended.

Lol. On my next post. I said I would never critique the testers. Good on u. ... I would have come in last place
sorry you we're offended. I know nothing about knives. The horseshit in question was the data sheets that looked like some kind of map for shuttle re-ENTRY. LOL. you should not take me so serious. Im just a drunk that gets lucky and happens to make it thru making a few knives before I scrap them out. No harm. Intended.

Well I'm sorry I was offended. Those graphs are alien to me as well and I have no clue what they meant, so I was wrong to take offense to the horse shit comment.

I hope you didn't take my explanation on the testing as an insinuation that you know nothing about knives, I am aware that you are a respected knife maker. Sorry for any confusion. I just quit smoking and have been wound a little tight lately. In an hour I'll be off work and having a few drinks that should lighten me up.

That should make me less hostile. In the mean time feel free to ignore my sandy vaginaness.. :eek:

Dude. No harm. Sir. Really. Thanks for ur time. And effort. Ban is a brave man putting that blade up against well established Bushcraft deigns and makers. Again no sweat. Have a good one
j

No butthurt report needed on either side... tear this thing up. Lol
butthurt-report-form.jpg

You guys are funny ;) First round of drinks on me when I see you guys at Blade :thumbup:

The BT-4 was not designed as a Bushcraft knife, however it worked great in all tasks. I can only guess why Ban entered this competition. My guess is he wanted feed back on his knife from guys who spend allot of time outdoors and he wanted to see how his knife did against some other great makers. I feel those questions were answered.

That was precisely the reason. You, Bigmike, and Marcelo gave me some valuable information. One of these days I am going to design and make a bushcraft knife. It will probably end up looking similar to Bruce Culberson's and Ray Laconico's entry.

Back