Woodsman Run Update

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Yesterday I ordered enough steel to make 30 Woodsmen. 5/32" thick 01 steel. I'm going to send them out for heat treat.

I will do three handle combo's in this run. 10 knives per handle combo. Very likely there will be Osage and Goncalo Alves, and either Maple, or Osage and East Indian Rosewood. The third combo is eluding me currently. I have to go to the wood store soon to get more Rosewood and Goncalo anyway, so I'll probably wait to decide on the third wood until then. I do like the lacewood. Paduk too. Hm... Maybe blackwood. Blackwood is spendy though...

The Osage/Paduk combo is pretty hard to beat. I hope you don't mind. I'll be looking over your shoulder. ;)

"What is that?"
"What are you doing right there?"
"What are those?"
"Why do you do that?"
"What did you just do. Do it again, but slower."

LOL

Sounds great, Andy. You know, I had to stop browsing your site. I was getting the itch;)

That said, if I can get a little cash scraped together after the holidays, I'm hoping to finally get my hands on a Fiddleback. Maybe when I gubberment Save-Our-Economy check;)

Paduk is certainly hard to beat! I have a bunch too. Hmmm.

HD, this batch will have a 5/32" thick blade. The one you have is thicker.

Rotte, after the first I am going to do a sign up list. It'll be first come first serve. 30 spots.

Jake. I'm happy seeing you over here bro.

Merry Christmas y'all. One more half day to work. Then I'm off for a while.

I think I'll be able to swing one good knife after the first of the year. Hoping I get in on any of these, but the GA/Osage is a killer combo. Got a feeling these are going to go fast.

I'm in for 1! Bamboo is also a sweet handle material if your having trouble picking material.

Well since my BIG mouth was one of those suggesting the passaround on this little devil, you know I want in!!

Looking forward to this run.
I'm sure that all of the handles will be beautiful.
Andy's handles always are both beautiful and comfortable.

I told the wife that I wouldn't get anymore knives/woods gear for a while....Oh well, sign me up.

I'm going to keep an eye on this one, Andy.

I also need to cure the lack of a single Nessmuk in my entire collection.

I'm going to keep an eye on this one, Andy.

I also need to cure the lack of a single Nessmuk in my entire collection.

Glad to hear you like the Woodsman!! And you certainly do need a Nessmuk. That is a horrible oversite!!!:D

What about doing some w/micarta?

Like some green canvas with 1/8" orange G10 lamination against the spine?:thumbup:;)

I have to have one of these. The blackwood with the osage looks awsome. Haven't had a single knife catch my eye this hard in a long time. Well done.

I hadn't considered using micarta on these. But we'll let y'all decide. I used some paper micarta on the kitchen knives, and I loved it!! Really great material to work.

Yesterday I recieved the steel. 12 bars of 5/32 01 tool steel. Yahoo.

Also yesterday, I went down to Carlton's Rare Woods (Best wood store ever). I picked up some posibilities. Cocobolo, Wenge, Black Palm, Ipe. I have some pics of the woods to post later.

12 bars of 01

chw27-vi.jpg

Wood

chw28-vi.jpg

chw30-vi.jpg

chw31-vi.jpg

chw32-vi.jpg

chw33-vi.jpg

chw34-vi.jpg

chw37-vi.jpg

12 bars of 01

chw27-vi.jpg

Wood

chw28-vi.jpg

chw30-vi.jpg

chw31-vi.jpg

chw32-vi.jpg

chw33-vi.jpg

chw34-vi.jpg

chw37-vi.jpg

Woods, top pic to bottom. Osage blocks. Walnut, Goncalo, Osage. Black palm (x2). Curly Koa. Hickory (curly) and maple. White ebony.

Last edited:
Back