Woodsman's trio ( vintage style )

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I figured a thread like this could be fun.

If you were a subscriber of the woodsman's trio philosophy, what vintage axe/hatchet , belt knife, and folder of yours would you choose to take with you ?
EDIT : let's say the fixed blades don't actually have to be old as long as they look like they could be.

This is what I'd take.

Last edited:
IdhFSCU.jpg

dont have much in the way of belt knives so my rasp-chete will have to suffice

What's the story behind the raspchette? Do you know for certian what steel it is? Thanks.
i have no idea, got it out of a bucket for 5 bucks, spent about 3 hours hammering it with a fairly large hammer and i barely got anywhere, then again i did not know what the mysterious process of "annealing" was... not sure i would have done it anyway.

i have no idea, got it out of a bucket for 5 bucks, spent about 3 hours hammering it with a fairly large hammer and i barely got anywhere, then again i did not know what the mysterious process of "annealing" was... not sure i would have done it anyway.
An easy way to anneal from what I've been told is just to get glowing and stick it in pearlite ( that white stuff used for plants ) till it's cold to the touch.

Not sure on the Hatchet yet, I am working on a Vaughan camp axe . Folder would be a SAK walker (bantam with a saw) my go to fixed blade is an old hickory slicing knife modified to a sheepsfoot blade

Not sure on the Hatchet yet, I am working on a Vaughan camp axe . Folder would be a SAK walker (bantam with a saw) my go to fixed blade is an old hickory slicing knife modified to a sheepsfoot blade
The idea here is vintage tools, but those would be good choices.

Sweet fixed blade HnS. Is that a modded old high carbon job? I've got a modded Condor Hudson Bay that's sorta kinda reminiscent.

Sweet fixed blade HnS. Is that a modded old high carbon job? I've got a modded Condor Hudson Bay that's sorta kinda reminiscent.
Pretty much.
It started life as a 16"+/- 60's USGI Cooks knife that my dad was sent home with some time back in the 80's when wood handles were being phased out for sanitary reasons.
For as long as I could remember it sat in the kitchen rusty with about 2" missing from the tip, my dad eventually gave it to me as a teenager to repurpose and this is what I turned it into.

Sweet job, really like the swedge!

I've used a jute/twine wrap myself. I ran it through my fingers in Titebond 3 and wrapped it around a wood handled utility knife, lasted a long as I had the knife (lost it) and provided good purchase.

Sweet job, really like the swedge!

I've used a jute/twine wrap myself. I ran it through my fingers in Titebond 3 and wrapped it around a wood handled utility knife, lasted a long as I had the knife (lost it) and provided good purchase.
What I did here was cotton twine, then a liberal coating of melted beeswax.
I thought about just twine, but it's really rough stuff.

My choices.
qsoXeH4.jpg

The multi tool isn't vintage and is a tad large to be considered a pocket knife. But if i HAD to choose I'd grab these items. Of course i have a backpack ready to go that I'd grab too and that's got a whole bunch of goodies in it.
Good choices on the axe and belt knife ( gorgeous western btw ).

Old ka bar I got from jblyttle last winter,and I have had that ka bar whittler for better than twenty years.True American hatchet
3 great choices all around.
JB is a great guy to deal with.
curiously he gets all those axes and related things, but I've only bought knives from him and have one In the works.
I thought about that beautiful old AC.CO 6" butcher I bought from him for my hypothetical trio, but I never got a sheath I really liked made for it and it sounds it's way into the kitchen where it'll now stay.

Last edited:
If I had to go vintage I guess it would be something like this:

If I didn’t have to choose vintage it would look something more like this:

The Bog Oak on both of the knives carbon date to over 4000 years old. Does that count?

Something old, something new
Something sharpened, something blue...
Large moose folder by Miller Bros and Marbles Woodcraft, both early 1920s or earlier with a
Two Hawks double bit
6PfpBJrl.jpg

Back