1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Woodsman's trio ( vintage style )

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Hickory n steel, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I figured a thread like this could be fun.

If you were a subscriber of the woodsman's trio philosophy, what vintage axe/hatchet , belt knife, and folder of yours would you choose to take with you ?
    EDIT : let's say the fixed blades don't actually have to be old as long as they look like they could be.

This is what I'd take.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  2. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    dont have much in the way of belt knives so my rasp-chete will have to suffice

DavidBevis, Miller '72, Moonw and 4 others like this.
  3. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    The axe and the Jack are definitely good choices.
    That rasp machete is just plain barbaric and cool.

4. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    What's the story behind the raspchette? Do you know for certian what steel it is? Thanks.

DavidBevis likes this.
  5. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    i have no idea, got it out of a bucket for 5 bucks, spent about 3 hours hammering it with a fairly large hammer and i barely got anywhere, then again i did not know what the mysterious process of "annealing" was... not sure i would have done it anyway.

DavidBevis and Moonw like this.
  6. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    An easy way to anneal from what I've been told is just to get glowing and stick it in pearlite ( that white stuff used for plants ) till it's cold to the touch.

7. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    as far as i'v heard that's one of the best

8. plumberroy

plumberroy

Jan 27, 2007
    Not sure on the Hatchet yet, I am working on a Vaughan camp axe . Folder would be a SAK walker (bantam with a saw) my go to fixed blade is an old hickory slicing knife modified to a sheepsfoot blade

DavidBevis likes this.
  9. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    The idea here is vintage tools, but those would be good choices.

10. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Sweet fixed blade HnS. Is that a modded old high carbon job? I've got a modded Condor Hudson Bay that's sorta kinda reminiscent.

11. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Pretty much.
    It started life as a 16"+/- 60's USGI Cooks knife that my dad was sent home with some time back in the 80's when wood handles were being phased out for sanitary reasons.
    For as long as I could remember it sat in the kitchen rusty with about 2" missing from the tip, my dad eventually gave it to me as a teenager to repurpose and this is what I turned it into.

DavidBevis, Nbrackett and Fmont like this.
  12. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Sweet job, really like the swedge!

I've used a jute/twine wrap myself. I ran it through my fingers in Titebond 3 and wrapped it around a wood handled utility knife, lasted a long as I had the knife (lost it) and provided good purchase.

13. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    What I did here was cotton twine, then a liberal coating of melted beeswax.
    I thought about just twine, but it's really rough stuff.

Fmont likes this.
  14. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    My choices. [​IMG]
    The multi tool isn't vintage and is a tad large to be considered a pocket knife. But if i HAD to choose I'd grab these items. Of course i have a backpack ready to go that I'd grab too and that's got a whole bunch of goodies in it.

15. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    [​IMG]Old ka bar I got from jblyttle last winter,and I have had that ka bar whittler for better than twenty years.True American hatchet

Yankee Josh, A17 and phantomknives like this.
  16. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Good choices on the axe and belt knife ( gorgeous western btw ).

Yankee Josh likes this.
  17. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    3 great choices all around.
    JB is a great guy to deal with.
    curiously he gets all those axes and related things, but I've only bought knives from him and have one In the works.
    I thought about that beautiful old AC.CO 6" butcher I bought from him for my hypothetical trio, but I never got a sheath I really liked made for it and it sounds it's way into the kitchen where it'll now stay.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    junkenstien likes this.
  18. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    If I had to go vintage I guess it would be something like this:

[​IMG]

If I didn’t have to choose vintage it would look something more like this:

[​IMG]

The Bog Oak on both of the knives carbon date to over 4000 years old. Does that count?

Yankee Josh, Agent_H and A17 like this.
  19. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I definitely like that first trio.
    That wards is a nice looking hatchet.

Yankee Josh and Nbrackett like this.
  20. Arathol

Arathol

Jan 1, 2003
    Something old, something new
    Something sharpened, something blue...
    Large moose folder by Miller Bros and Marbles Woodcraft, both early 1920s or earlier with a
    Two Hawks double bit
    [​IMG]

Moonw, A17 and Yankee Josh like this.