Wool blanket - 70 % wool VS. 100 % wool what is the diffrence ?

I know that I'm being a complete doofus about this but, after rinsing the blanket I fold it in half and wrap it around a board for several hours? So I wrap it like I am wrapping duct tape around a pencil? What size board are we talking here? What is the reasoning behind this? Faster students feel free to talk amongst yourselves while the teacher helps the slow guy!!!:confused:

I thought it strange the first time I seen it too. You are just fine and normal :)

The good ladies in my life that knit with wool thread always seem to be blocking something after washing the item. Depending on the wool item, it is sometimes rolled into a dry towel (s) until somewhat dry (this is very, very common), or "eased" back into shape by gentle stretching while it dries, and even a combination of easing, pinning, and steaming is used. I am sure there are many other methods of "blocking" that I am unaware of.

Unlike a sweater, with a loose weave, that can be stretched back into shape by hand when dry, the heavy-duty blanket cannot, nor should it. I would guess that if one tried to stretch the blanket back into shape after drying, he would damage his expensive blanket in no time.

A quality wool blanket, when even damp, is very heavy. To keep the blanket from stretching in "spots", you want to handle it very gently until dry. The idea is to keep everything proportionate. There are people who pay no attention to blocking their newly washed wool blankets and simply lay them out flat to dry or, hang them on the clothesline. Hanging a wet, or heavily damp quality wool blanket on the clothesline is doing the blanket no favors whatsoever. As the blanket is hung over the clothesline, the heavy blanket ends will be pulling and stretching the blanket from the middle. This is not a good thing for obvious reasons.

When the damp wool blanket is folded (lengthwise), and *loosely* wrapped around something like a 1 X 6 (my drying rack has four 1 X 4's), it is going to begin drying proportionately - rather than from the ends when laying flat and shrinking disproportionately. Some folks are not as particular as I or others are and, have no problems with a less-than-square blanket. However, as time goes on and the blanket sees more washings and shrinkage, the signs of improper blocking will begin to show. I know of one fella that tried to block his blanket by duct taping the edges down to his wooden deck. What a waste of a good roll of duct tape it was! :D

Once the weight of the moisture or heavy dampness is gone while it is wrapped, (depending on the time of year) I will hang my blanket outdoors over a heavily padded rope strung between two trees. I have land filled with tall lodgepole pines so this just works out best for me.

*Always make sure to handle your wet blanket with kid gloves through the entire process. There should be no tugging, pulling, dragging...anything that stresses the weave. A gentle wash, gentle multiple rinse, gentle transport to your washer for the spin, a careful wrap around the board until mostly dry, a hang in the fresh air (you can use more than one padded rope to support the blanket) and that blanket should last a good long time or, even a lifetime. :)

Ahhhhh, thanks, that is starting to make some sense. Do you have any pics of your setup. I like to copy what someone is using that is successful.

Danny Boy is talking about the good blankets, guys.... thanks DB.

The army blankets you get from surplus stores have already been put through the ringer. I have HOT washed and HOT dried them to tighten the weave and they never go out of square. You will get a couple inches of shrinkage but they don't get ruined. To block a US GI blanket is hardly worth the effort.....

.... that said, the army blankets pale in comparison to the high end Wilde/Whitney brand.

Lotsa good info here!

Rick

Do you block it after the initial hot washing, or just let it dry and shrink, then block it after each washing after that?

The army blankets you get from surplus stores have already been put through the ringer. I have HOT washed and HOT dried them to tighten the weave and they never go out of square. You will get a couple inches of shrinkage but they don't get ruined. To block a US GI blanket is hardly worth the effort.....

.... that said, the army blankets pale in comparison to the high end Wilde/Whitney brand.

Lotsa good info here!

Rick

Thanks Rick! I've been folowing this thread and digesting the information given. Great to hear how to do it from someone who seems to know his stuff! But I was also beginning to get discouraged. That is a LOT of work to do just to properly wash a blanket, particularly if it is like the two I have.

Back last century ( :D ) I bought two older surplused military wool blankets from a shop near NAS Pensacola (it has a rocket out front for those who know the place). They are Bundeswehr army blankets (thicker than the USGI ones I have seen) and were in near-new condition. But they now have "stank" from storage in a damp location. I was considering having a dry-cleaner clean them, but that could cost as much as the blankets originally did. So I can wash them myself and dry them in commercial equipment without damaging them??

Codger

Lotsa good info here!

Rick

Rick is absolutely correct on the surplus blankets. We don't bother blocking the ones we have and only lay them out flat to dry or toss them in a dryer. They do have some value in that sense or when a lot of warmth is not needed like with the better blankets. Rick uses two of these blankets together and that is always a great idea if you don't want to spend the big money on the premium wool blankets for the outdoors.

Do you have any pics of your setup.

Our little rack is packed away for the winter currently, but it is only four 1 X 4's (about 5 ft. long) that are spread (adjustable) a few inches apart to keep from wrapping the blanket too tight and spacing it out some. Does it work better than using a single board? I don't really think so. Being an engineer, it is just natural for me to take something simple and make it more complicated than it needs to be. You can use a 2 X 12 secured between two post or two chairs, etc., a couple of 1 X 6's a few inches apart...a number of things will work and your own house/garage/shop might offer some unique possibilities that are better than what I use. Nothing strict needs to be observed here other than treating the blanket with care. :)

Do you block it after the initial hot washing, or just let it dry and shrink, then block it after each washing after that?

Washing the blanket in hot water is going to shrink it initially, for sure. I would then go ahead and block it. Subsequent washings/drying will continue to shrink the blanket to some extent and, this is a good thing for your outdoor blanket. However, grandma may view the shrinkage of her perfectly-fitting, treasured wool blanket kept upon her bed in the house, from another perspective. She may wish to dry clean. :)

Washing/blocking/drying the quality wool blanket is not really as laborious as it sounds. Usually I am cleaning up other camping equipage at the same time that my blankets are drying from the washing. It goes pretty fast and, actually, I take more time to wash and dry my truck after an outing.

There are a number of excellent blankets out there that haven't been mentioned, and too numerous to list them all here. A couple of my trekking partners use blankets made by Rob Stone. Their blankets seem to be as warm as my Wilde, Early's Witney blankets and the price was significantly less. It appears that Highhorse Trading Company still offers the Rob Stone blankets http://highhorsetrading.com/.

Rick,

Where do you find these large blankets? I keep wanting to make or have made something similar to your wool pullover that you made and posted last year.

Thanks,
Kirk

Anyone have a link to the wool pullover mentioned or any other wool blanket shirts/anoraks? Tips or suggestions on making these?

Anyone have a link to the wool pullover mentioned or any other wool blanket shirts/anoraks? Tips or suggestions on making these?

Here's a source for surplus wool blankest if you want to make your own...http://www.vtarmynavy.com/wool_blankets.htm

I have a blanket shirt from Empire Canas Works. It's fantastic quality and much warmer than it looks. They are offered in two styles (mine is like the one on the right)...
wbs1.jpg
wbs2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. That helps alot. I like the looks of these and they should really help me in getting away from synthetic material for outerwear.

I'm making this one... I hope. :)
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/866577/ Check out the pics in his linked flickr account for close ups of the anorak and pattern.

*if not Ok to post this here :foot:, somebody let me know or delete it. thx

Version 2 of this guy's anorak --

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/868057/

Back