Work knives / Beater knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by PaultheCarpenter, Jul 25, 2020.

1. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    No gentleman's folders or $700 customs here. Just good, honest tools.

There are a number of factors that I look for in a good tool. Toughness, familiarity, dependability, ease of maintenance, utility and relative disposability.

I've whittled down my everyday users to just two which I rebuy over and over because I'm incredibly abusive (through necessity). Unfortunately the Barge is out of production now, which prompts this thread as I'm on the hunt again.

Kershaw Barge
    [​IMG]
    Don't use your knife as a pry bar or screwdriver, get a knife with a prybar and a screwdriver! I've grown fond of the brutalist design and while the prybar isn't great, it's a sight better than trying to pry with your blade. Extremely tough little knife, recommendations for a replacement are most welcome.

Mora Craftline Chisel
    [​IMG]
    Probably the handiest, most versatile chisel ground blade I've ever held. I can't recommend this knife highly enough, not just for carpentry, but almost anything.

So that's what I beat on every working day. I don't expect anyone to be as hard on their knives as I am, but I'd be interested to see your beaters regardless.

Oloung1, LG&M, willc and 4 others like this.
  2. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Hulltafors GK
    Schrade SCHF55
    Just about any Anza. I find the short-bladed ones like the WK-5 and the 2BU Most useful.
    Green River 5” fish knife.

LG&M and PaultheCarpenter like this.
  3. Getahl

Getahl

Dec 22, 2007
    Maybe check out the Kershaw shuffle or shuffle ii. It has a pry thing at the back.

ETA that I work a desk job, and sure as schnitzel not using my pocket knives in the same manner. My normal carry at work is a Geber EAB Lite, because it's the smallest, best blade holder I've found for slacks carry, usually used for opening the occasional box in Receiving, or breaking a plastic strap on a box of printer paper. I've tried the little Quark Tool blade holder, but it dulls the blade pretty easily.

PaultheCarpenter likes this.
  4. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    Good call, it seems a little bit too small with a 3 finger hold and that pry part sticking into your palm, but I'll try one out if I get the opportunity. Generally comfort isn't an issue for me as I wear gloves when doing harder tasks so it might not be an issue.

I also have a small boxcutter rattling around in my pocket, I use ceramic blades in them. Indispensable.

5. Silent H

Silent H

Feb 1, 2018
    The shuffle 2 works much better for me, the choil on the blade makes it so I can get a 4 finger grip, and the change in layout means the pry/bottle opener doesn't poke me in the palm. The Tanto blade is great for scraping too.

The Shuffle 1 has a better bottle opener, but the Shuffle 2 has the better pry/screwdriver and ergos. The bottle opener on the shuffle 2 is pretty much worthless.

6. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    Good info, thanks. Since I'm more interested in opening paint cans and prying glued/nailed/stapled wood apart the shuffle 2 sounds a little more like it.

Silent H likes this.
  7. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Cold Steel Grik
    Odd looking, but built like a Sherman Tank. The clip is FRN, but it is robust and is extremely comfortable, especially when exerting a lot of pressure in heavy cutting.
    You probably could pry with the blade. It's that thick.
    [​IMG]

willc, Getahl, bigsurbob and 5 others like this.
  8. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    I was looking at Cold Steel, well priced, tough as hell and well designed. I'm not sold on being able to pry with any blade though, no matter how you do it, you're going to be putting lateral stress on the edge somewhere.

Good call. I'm looking at this at the moment. https://www.coldsteel.com/bush-ranger-lite-seconds-21a2?returnurl=/folding-knives/?count=27

9. Retired UPS Driver

Retired UPS Driver Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Maybe have a look at a smaller fixed blade blunt tip scuba/dive knife. Some are specifically designed to pry with the flat tip while still having a straight blade cutting edge, and some also have serrations near the handle too. The different ones I have owned with the blunt/pry tip could easily open paint cans and pry apart wood with absolutely no damage. The smaller (9” OAL max) are more user friendly to me than the larger (12” oal) knives are.

The injection molded sheath with push button release are way more user friendly and secure than a banded release kydex sheath is.

Just another non expensive idea to ponder.

10. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    +1...Grik has been my EDC for a few years now. Did break the clip once (freak thing, totally my fault), but CS sent me another one. One thing that's cool is if you want a slightly thicker handle, you can put both the right and left clips on at the same time.

willc and PaultheCarpenter like this.
  11. Silent H

Silent H

Feb 1, 2018
    Benchmade makes a knife for prying, they actually explicitly state that this is one of the few knives that will be covered under warranty if you break it while prying: https://www.benchmade.com/591bk-boost.html

12. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I have the same Mora, great knife/chisel/whatever.

No links to stay within forum rules, but there are Barges out there to buy. ~$20 on that big auction site, for example--I didn't have to search long. If you love the barge, why not buy a couple more . . .

13. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    A friend of mine gave me a Kershaw Barge just a few weeks ago, and agree with PaultheCarpenter, tough little knife, it is in my side tool pocket of my trousers right now. John

14. blanex1

blanex1

Feb 11, 2015
    [​IMG]

15. blanex1

blanex1

Feb 11, 2015
    I use ether one of these as my work knife;)

16. bigsurbob

bigsurbob Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Yeah the usual suspects in the Cold Steel lineup come to mind. I pound on my Spartan every chance I get... Or a fixed blade.

17. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    My beaters are:
    Spyderco GB2 in M4 (Used a PM2 before)
    Cold steel pro lite tanto
    Esee 4

willc likes this.
  18. SALTY

SALTY Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2000
    +1 on the Cold Steel Pro Lite

You can beat on any knife but there are two characteristics that, to me, define a beater-work knife: good enough quality to "take the gaff" or stand up to the hard use and a high rating in the "I don't care about it factor."

A Sebenza, Hinderer and many others are certainly up to the task on the former criteria but the latter, for most anyway, takes into account cost - acquisition and replacement cost. If I break or lose a $50 knife I would feel differently than if I were to break or lose a $500 knife. To some $500 may not be a big deal and the rewards of using a favorite knife for "everything and anything" is worth it to them. Me, I am much easier on my Sebenza, Cold Steel 4-Max or personal favorite AD-10 than I am on much less expensive knives even though those three could take just about anything a folder should be able to take - and then some.

OTOH, when I use the daylights out of one of my close-out sale acquired Cold Steel AUS-8 Voyagers I just smile ... not just because they are so darned worthy and very capable, but if I destroy or lose it ... no big deal as I bought back-ups and the three that I bought (I'm still on #1) together were less than a third of many higher end production knives.

Are eight or nine close-out CS AUS-8 Voyagers better than one Sebenza? I just don't know, but as much as I like my Sebenza, (very capable knife) and as much as my favorite folder of all, the AD-10 (another very capable knife) along with the 4-Max (very, very capable) can do anything and everything I do with my AUS-8 Voyagers, Ontario RAT-1s and some Bucks - I just feel much more comfortable whoopin' on those "lesser" knives which BTW, just keep on ticking.

To the OP, don't rule out some short stout fixed blades and perhaps even some not so short and not so stout but still very capable fixed blades like the thicker heavier duty Mora models. My well driller buddy never leaves home w/o his $15 Mora that he beats with abandon. His Mora looks like crap btu he said he has had to replace them now and again ... due to loss, bot failure!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    willc likes this.
  19. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I use my Opinels for dirty jobs a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also tend to have GEC folders when doing work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GEC made schrades
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Knives&Lint

Knives&Lint DOES Go Chasing Waterfalls Platinum Member

May 10, 2013
    The Adamas is my go-to

[​IMG]