Work knives / Beater knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by PaultheCarpenter, Jul 25, 2020.

1. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    No one has ever actually used a sebenza, but I assume it takes cereal boxes apart with the swiftness.

Zulus and LG&M like this.
  2. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    Yeah, they have another similar to that with 2 blades as well. That's a tough call as 3V is my fav steel because of its toughness. I had a Bark River in it and beat the thing for a couple of years before accidentally walling it up in a stage set in Vegas. It's still there to my knowledge, so someone will get a nice surprise when they strike it.

Problem with that benchmade is it's a little on the pricey side, and I'm prone to losing knives, otherwise it's about perfect.

3. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    99928FA2-7E06-4E67-8CDF-57EB4A30D3FB.jpeg I have been a union carpenter for over 20 years and Cold Steel makes some of the toughest work knives out there.

I also like to carry a Vic Trekker.
    The extra tools like the saw and Phillips have helped me a lot.

Oloung1, broadscotch, Zulus and 4 others like this.
  4. JAB

JAB Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2005
    [​IMG]

Oloung1, shaztec, luke2236 and 10 others like this.
  5. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    Lightly used then.

Honestly, I couldn't use a sebenza for anything approaching what I'd need it to do. Great knives I hear, but impractical price.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Zulus likes this.
  6. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    Good stuff, nice to see another chippy here. What's that tanto on the bottom?

willc likes this.
  7. willc

Aug 13, 2013
    That is an older Recon1 in aus-8 steel.
    Look out on the exchange and these will pop up in the 30-50 buck range.

The newer ones are S35VN which is excellent steel but for me I prefer aus-8 as I can get it back to shaving sharp using an old cutoff wheel.

There are lots of good choices out there for knives these days brother.

PaultheCarpenter likes this.
  8. PaultheCarpenter

PaultheCarpenter

Jul 12, 2020
    Same here. I'd rather have a steel that blunts in a day to razor sharp in under a minute than a steel that takes 3 or 4 days to blunt and half an hour to sharpen. I'll look into that knife, tanto seems like a decent choice.

tinfoil hat timmy, Bastler and willc like this.
  9. Sidehill Gouger

Sidehill Gouger

Dec 29, 2007
    A straight edge leaf blade Spyderco Caribbean has been my favorite everyday work knife our homestead for about a year and half. Fits my hand perfect and the blade size is useful for a wide range of chores in the garden and out in the timber.

fielder and PaultheCarpenter like this.
  10. el gigantor

el gigantor Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 5, 2015
    That Recon 1 in that condition......I'd "like" your photo 100x if I could.

11. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    The Gayle Bradley2 is a solid work knife.
    [​IMG]

12. willc

Aug 13, 2013
    That knife is missing a few teeth from the serrated part but it really has been a most excellent work knife.
    I have used it for many a task that a knife is not designed for and it has held up like a champ.

13. Razor

Razor Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Hard to beat a leatherman or Gerber tool.

14. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    My Rat 2 in D2 is my work knife, that is ,it is the knife I carry at work. I use all my knives. Few are expensive, & some I am more careful with but all "work"

15. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I use the Condor Bushlore for my really abusive tasks. My little SAK gets used for some fairly abusive knife tasks like digging weeds out of my yard.

16. timbo813

timbo813

Jun 24, 2014
    My hard use folder is a Spyderco GB2. To REALLY beat on a knife I use a Becker BK14 or a mora. If I am cutting shingles or something that will destroy an edge then I have a couple razor knives.

17. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I don't beat on any of my knives. All my knives are work knives. Which pattern and blade profile are determined by what the task at hand is.
    For example, if I'm splicing a lot of rope/lines (triple strand or double braid), I'll use a Marlin Spike. (plus the appropriate fid with double braid.)

18. DaveReb

DaveReb Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Here are my 2 work beaters a Spyderco Native 5, and a Techno 1. The Techno I carried daily for 4-5yrs, the Native kicked it out of my pocket a couple years ago. I actually lost my Techno in 2017, and ordered the Native 5 to replace it. I found the Techno a month or two later clipped to safety fencing that I was removing from around an open trench. I thought I dropped the knife in the trench, and couldn’t find it when I searched. Turns out the netting of the fence caught the Techno, and pulled it out of my pocket and clipped itself to the fence.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oloung1 likes this.
  19. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Buck 095 TOPS BUCK CSAR T
    [​IMG]

tinfoil hat timmy likes this.